D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone wondering about the second Menken, it's still pretty empty in here. Gold for section b is filled but everything else is empty.

Also I ended up skipping voices of Disney parks to see Susan Egan at center stage. It was really short but so so awesome to hear her sing belle live.

I'm section c gold line if anyone ends up in this area. My friend is going to Disneyland so I am alone for this one.

Edit: they just reopened b gold section.

Last edited:
Decided to call it early so we can hit Fantasmic tonight.

Had an amazing time and was able to do some fantastic things and meet some wonderful people. It was also great being able to enjoy your experiences along the way.

Hopefully I will see you all around the parks, the boards and maybe the next D23.

Edit: That sounded so final. I didn't mean it to be.

Decided to call it early so we can hit Fantasmic tonight.

Had an amazing time and was able to do some fantastic things and meet some wonderful people. It was also great being able to enjoy your experiences along the way.

Hopefully I will see you all around the parks, the boards and maybe the next D23.

Edit: That sounded so final. I didn't mean it to be.
I made the same decision, though in the end I think I got to do pretty much everything I wanted to today (at least after making the conscious decision to punt on the morning). It was great running into a bunch of you in person and chatting with even more of you through the boards. I don't know when I'll next make it out to Disneyland (aside from my extra day tomorrow), so I probably won't be around this sub-form too much, but you can always find me in the Solo Travelers form -- or on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Snapchat, etc. (all the same username as here).

Hope everyone had a magical time today and all this weekend at the D23 Expo!

I stayed until the end for the Oswald panel, which was great.

Safe travels home, everyone.

Thank you, @ashley0139 for creating and maintaining this thread, and to everyone that participated to keep everyone up to date on what was happening. Your sleuthing and knowledge, plus your willingness to share information as soon as you got it really help many people enjoy the D23 Expo in a much better way! ::yes::
Indeed. This thread was required reading. You guys are the best and I hope everybody enjoyed themselves as much as we did. We wrapped up with the Legends of Imagineering panel because ending things with Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter seemed appropriate.

Still in expo mode because we have the 10:30 Fantasmic. What a weekend. Can't wait for 2019 and hope I get to be fortunate enough to be a sorcerer again.

Still in expo mode because we have the 10:30 Fantasmic. What a weekend. Can't wait for 2019 and hope I get to be fortunate enough to be a sorcerer again.
Enjoy Fantasmic! I just did the 9:00 show (which was incredible), then stuck around for the fireworks and now I'm on a bench waiting for the Main Street Electrical Parade. It's honestly really cool being able to do all that in one night in one park. As much as I love WDW, sometimes it's frustrating having to choose between nighttime shows (a super first-world problem, I know).

Enjoy Fantasmic! I just did the 9:00 show (which was incredible), then stuck around for the fireworks and now I'm on a bench waiting for the Main Street Electrical Parade. It's honestly really cool being able to do all that in one night in one park. As much as I love WDW, sometimes it's frustrating having to choose between nighttime shows (a super first-world problem, I know).

I agree. We only did 10:30 because we could do it with out having to stand in the long return line.

Just got home to San Jose after finishing out our first expo with the Imagineers. Thank you to all on this board for keeping us informed and up to date on all the happenings. I didn't post a whole lot but learned so much. I credit this thread for setting my expectations and setting us up for success for our first event. Thank you so much. We will look to see everyone again in 2019!

Thank you, @ashley0139 for creating and maintaining this thread, and to everyone that participated to keep everyone up to date on what was happening. Your sleuthing and knowledge, plus your willingness to share information as soon as you got it really help many people enjoy the D23 Expo in a much better way! ::yes::

It's been a fun way to keep up the excitement throughout the year!

I am finally home after dropping my friend off at the airport (LAX is terrible still in case you were wondering). I had a GREAT, if exhausting and overwhelming time this weekend. We made it to everything we wanted/planned to, besides things that overlapped. It took a lot of waiting, planning, and patience, but everyone posting on this thread really helped. My friend wants to seriously consider Sorcerers for 2019 - we'll see how we feel about that in a year.

I'm planning on doing a little wrap up "trip report" to post on this thread for my memory and others' reference, and I hope others will do that as well, as I'd love to see what everyone did! Sorcerers, I'd especially love to see a post from you guys about your experiences!

Although I only got to meet one poster in person (hi @HydroGuy!), I really enjoyed talking to everyone on this thread for the last year!

It's been a fun way to keep up the excitement throughout the year!

I am finally home after dropping my friend off at the airport (LAX is terrible still in case you were wondering). I had a GREAT, if exhausting and overwhelming time this weekend. We made it to everything we wanted/planned to, besides things that overlapped. It took a lot of waiting, planning, and patience, but everyone posting on this thread really helped. My friend wants to seriously consider Sorcerers for 2019 - we'll see how we feel about that in a year.

I'm planning on doing a little wrap up "trip report" to post on this thread for my memory and others' reference, and I hope others will do that as well, as I'd love to see what everyone did! Sorcerers, I'd especially love to see a post from you guys about your experiences!

Although I only got to meet one poster in person (hi @HydroGuy!), I really enjoyed talking to everyone on this thread for the last year!

If you are being successful with planning then you cpuld probably save 2k. While I really enjoyed it even Sorcerers have to have appropriate expectations (I heard so many complainers). It was nice thought to be able to show up to a panel with 5 minutes to go and know you had a seat. With that said it doesn't help with everything. Signings and shopping were barely helped. Also anything on the show floor was stand in the normal line so there is stuff there that not everyone got to or we had to choose to skip a panel we wanted to do it.

If you are being successful with planning then you cpuld probably save 2k. While I really enjoyed it even Sorcerers have to have appropriate expectations (I heard so many complainers). It was nice thought to be able to show up to a panel with 5 minutes to go and know you had a seat. With that said it doesn't help with everything. Signings and shopping were barely helped. Also anything on the show floor was stand in the normal line so there is stuff there that not everyone got to or we had to choose to skip a panel we wanted to do it.

We were able to do it because we got there before 5am every morning and waited hours for everything we really wanted to do, and really planned effectively. I did not do that well with the lack of sleep, and my friend has a really hard time with the overwhelming lines and waiting for so long.

I'd love to hear a full review of the Sorcerers Ticket. I figured it wouldn't help with signings, but didn't you get to shop on Thursday? Was it just limited edition items it didn't help with? But you still got to go into the expo first every day right?

We were able to do it because we got there before 5am every morning and waited hours for everything we really wanted to do, and really planned effectively. I did not do that well with the lack of sleep, and my friend has a really hard time with the overwhelming lines and waiting for so long.

I'd love to hear a full review of the Sorcerers Ticket. I figured it wouldn't help with signings, but didn't you get to shop on Thursday? Was it just limited edition items it didn't help with? But you still got to go into the expo first every day right?

We got to shop Thursday at MOG (the regular store not pin store), Dream Store, and Disney Store. For phased releases they would not sell early so like for Oswald stuff I had to go back Saturday and rescue rangers on sunday. They did make sure the Disney store line had all Sorcerers at the front until the last sorcer in the original line was in since we were let on the floor 15 minutes before everyone else. I know Sorcerers who still waited 2+ hours for Duck Tales jump because they did not make CMs and vendors get out of line except Saturday when Michael the head of D23 saw what was going on (again CMs and vendors). Same for MOG pin shop 6+ hour lines there.

It did help don't get me wrong but some people think it is a Front of the Line for all experiences and it isn't. Thursday the show floor easn't even done so we only got to see pirates archive, marvel, and disney volunteers while media was at SW pavilion.

I started a trip report so once I get home I will finish that and do a full wrap up review.

I know even some sorcerers over nighted which was just crazy to me. I showed up at 6 then 7 the 8 because the last day I realized there was no reason. Sure had I showed up at 6 maybe I wouldn't have waited an hor for Duck Tales but part of the experience was being able to sleep in.

Had a great time of the expo! I was able to do all the panels and get the merch I wanted to get on Friday. Ended up going into Saturday with no sleep as I got caught up trying to keep an eye on the line for Live Action, but managed to make it into that as well as Parks. I feel there were still a few things I missed on the show floor, but what's done is done. Might consider Sorcerer's for next year, it might be steep but what you pay in those $2k you get peace of mind and not having to worry about making it into certain panels. Being let into the show floor first definitely helps as well.

Here are some of my thoughts re this Expo –

As ashley0139 and wilkeliza noted, good planning along with realistic expectations is key, I think, to a better experience. This was my 3d Expo, and I had decided I would take the plunge to Sorcerer. However, I could not get the ticket & was not picked up off the wait list, so this caused me to need to be very strategic in my planning. As a result, I felt I had the most fun and saw the most things this time compared to past Expos.

I used the schedule on the website to plan my stage panels, then used the app to find other things on the expo floor. The show floor & Emporium maps posted by mickeytotallyrock were invaluable (Thanks again!) as they had more detail than was found in the app. I kept fine-tuning my panels until I had my top choices & also alternatives in case something did not work out, either could not get in or due to something else running over. That way, I did not waste time having to figure out ‘alternate plan B’ on the fly. I also pretty much had the show floor memorized as to locations of the booths I was most interested in or vendors I wanted to be sure to hit both Disney and in the Emporium. That gave me a familiarity when I got on the show floor as to where I wanted to go, so I could get there quicker.

On the first day, I got stage passes but skipped those for Saturday & Sunday once I saw how much bigger those rooms were this time. I also decided I would be happy to be ‘in the room where it happens’ (channeling my inner Hamilton – smile!), rather than being in the front of the room. Taking this approach allowed me to get to more panels, because I was not waiting in another long line to get stage pass or feeling I had to be in the stand-by line so early. I got into each panel I wanted each day, also allowed for show floor time, and never waited more than 30 min or so for most panels. I also saw how crazy it was Friday for appearances and signings at the Disney/Pixar Animation Studios pavilion, so ended up skipping everything there because it was a free-for-all & would have taken a lot of time.

Based on helpful comments from others here, I decided to skip the Parks panel, which had been on my list until probably Friday. I decided I could not give up that much time on Saturday. As a result, I ended up catching five other panels on Saturday and enjoyed each of them very much, plus felt I had a more productive day. Each person has to decide what is most important to see/do while there, & for me I’d rather see more of the less higher profile panels that are not shared in detail afterward, & get more insider information. Some of those other panels offered surprises – ie after one, the D23 staff was outside with free magnets for everyone. In the Archives stage, they raffled off fun stuff at the end of each session which was an unexpected surprise. The Oswald panel also had giveaways.

I hit the Parks & Resorts booth very early Friday, to see the Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge model & display, only waited 5 min to get in & the line was so much longer by the time I got through. I also walked the show floor and Emporium floor Friday morning, checking out several booths who might be hosting folks for signings. Found that MiceChat had Bob Gurr and other Disney folks, Marty Sklar would be at the Ryman Arts booth both Sat and Sun, and the Walt Disney Family Museum had Disney Legends Tony Anselmo and Andreas Dejas on Friday. Talent Central signings were crazy mayhem; yet I could visit some of those same folks at the booths with little to no line and more time to chat with them. Learning Andreas would be there changed my plans for late Friday, skipping the Live Action Movie Music panel but it was worth it to me to meet him again. Flexibility to change plans as other opportunities are discovered I think is also important. I also took the time to ask cast members about different signing processes in each area or booth well ahead of time, so I’d know what to expect, but also confirmed a couple of hours ahead in case things had changed. This was valuable and saved time as well as disappointment. Ie I learned that some signings in Talent Central were using wristbands, not noted in the app, for crowd management.

Store passes were better this year – they had more of them, and folks were able to get store passes later into the day where last time those were pretty much gone within an hour. I got one both Friday for a signing in the Dream Store and Saturday. Store passes save a ton of time not waiting in long lines there. Another learning from past expos is, if you want to get something signed, buy it on Friday even if the signing is not until Saturday or Sunday. I’d missed out on past Expos by not realizing that, especially with early release books where supply will be limited. I got the Oswald book on Friday to get it signed on Sunday; it was sold out by Sunday & several folks missed out.

I honestly don’t know if I will try for Sorcerer next time. Wilkeliza’s comments about both what that provides & what it does not provide are very helpful – thanks for sharing! I’m not that into the Disney Store shopping & don’t need to be in the front row/section of the panel rooms. While it would save me from having to get to Hall E so early each morning (I was arriving between 4:30 & 5:00 each morning because I’d rather wait before show floor opened than be late getting on the show floor) & it would get me into the Animation panel without the long lines/waits, I’ll have to think about if that perk & one panel is worth the money compared to everything else I was able to do with good prior planning.

My favorite panels – Golden Girls, Ink & Paint Ladies, Marc Davis at WED, History of Disney/Pixar commercials, Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through, Evolution of Pixar characters, Disney & Postage Stamps, Lion King, and Oswald.

@wilkeliza Darn, I missed you...of course, we probably saw each other multiple times and didn't realize it. :rotfl:

My Expo experience was fabulous, even with what I'm referring to as clique behavior from some of the Sorcerers. At times, it felt as if because we weren't part of a group of people that had done this before multiple times, we were missing information that wasn't communicated to the group as a whole. I have seen these people at other D23 events in the past, as a local, and frankly it was the the type of behavior that I expected from them. So I wasn't shocked or really aggravated. It was what it was.

Our preview day was really interesting and I'm glad we got to have access to the stores early, even if there was a bit of frenzy over the exclusives. I think we were treated really well and I liked having the lounge to escape to when the show floor was crazy. And it was crazy a lot.

I only shopped one additional time at the three main stores, when given an opportunity to do so a bit early because of the confusion over the number of limited items and our access to them. As @wilkeliza said, we were given first access to the show floor the other days but only were walked carefully to the Disney Store Friday to compensate for an issue. I understand in the past that the Sorcerers were given the option to choose a line for any of the stores, along with a Show Floor line and this time that didn't happen. Some of the grumbling I heard was that we weren't walked in and that some of the over-nighters did get ahead of Sorcerers to purchase items. Some of the Sorcerers chose to line up early (3am - 4am) so they could get the daily exclusives.

In the same vein, there was grumbling about the seating in some of the panels because we weren't seated - we got in first and had "reserved" seating in most, but people did hurry to get prime seats and there was some feeling that those that had lined up to wait should get the front row center choices. I was more about having a seat with a decent view that I didn't have to spend the night for, so I ignored the drama.

I really loved all the panels I saw and appreciated being able to see more than I ever have. The show floor was a mad house literally after about 15 minutes in every day and heaved with people, even while panels were on. Being a Sorcerer did not afford me any perks there and I knew that going in. I made choices, as I would have with the lower level ticket, and I'm pleased with what I was able to do.

I found the Emporium vendors to be repetitive mostly - and lacking the variety of Expos past. I literally saw the same pins in every booth that had pins. I did like the variety of official Friends of Disney booths.

I did more this time around, because I could.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter