• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 Gold Membership - Question

grahamharvey1982

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am thinking about getting my husband a D23 Gold membership as a Christmas present. However, at the moment we live in Europe and only get over to WDW once or twice a year. From my limited research, it seems like the perks of membership are: the magazine, discounts, and access to D23-exclusive events. Since we do not live in America, it seems that we wouldn't really get to use the discounts or access to events.

My question to everyone (including people in the US): Are there any other perks that I am missing? It seems expensive to join just for the magazine subscription.

(And another question: is anyone else reading this overseas and a D23 member?)

My mom's a member, she doesn't really use the perks either as she didn't go to Disney this year. The magazine is beautiful. She got some other stuff too with her membership package that she enjoyed. She got the family one and included us on there but we didn't take the card to DW when we went in Oct. (I wish we did cause I wanted the pin!)

Hello! I am thinking about getting my husband a D23 Gold membership as a Christmas present. However, at the moment we live in Europe and only get over to WDW once or twice a year. From my limited research, it seems like the perks of membership are: the magazine, discounts, and access to D23-exclusive events. Since we do not live in America, it seems that we wouldn't really get to use the discounts or access to events.

My question to everyone (including people in the US): Are there any other perks that I am missing? It seems expensive to join just for the magazine subscription.

(And another question: is anyone else reading this overseas and a D23 member?)

Probably not worth it just for the magazine.

They used to sell additional copies of the magazine to members for $15, and at the time the membership was $75, so that tells you that the majority of the value of the membership is the magazine. I hardly read it after the first few issues, so when they offered the silver level I switched right away. They did send small trinkets like pens or patches with the magazine, but even those were a novelty and didn't add much value to me. Now they charge a lot more for their events and they sell out right away, so even as a local I've stopped joining. Now if you were going to plan a trip for the 2017 D23 convention, then it would be worth it to buy the membership next Christmas.

Been a member since the start.
I love the magazine. It is beautiful.
I rarely use any of the perks.
They do sent extra "things" with the magazine almost every month.

They used to sell additional copies of the magazine to members for $15, and at the time the membership was $75, so that tells you that the majority of the value of the membership is the magazine. I hardly read it after the first few issues, so when they offered the silver level I switched right away. They did send small trinkets like pens or patches with the magazine, but even those were a novelty and didn't add much value to me. Now they charge a lot more for their events and they sell out right away, so even as a local I've stopped joining. Now if you were going to plan a trip for the 2017 D23 convention, then it would be worth it to buy the membership next Christmas.

Good point about the D23 Expo. We may be moving to Los Angeles at some point in the next couple years. Maybe I will get him the membership as a Christmas gift next year.

Is there any way to get free shipping on a D23 Gold Membership? At Disney Store, it appears as if it's $79 for Gold and then another $12 for Shipping and Handling with no free shipping and no discounts (Disney Visa, DVC, etc.) to be applied toward the Membership. Can you go to local Disney Store and buy Membership without S/H? Already on the fence about paying for Gold when the free Membership has been just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter