D23 Magazine - Facts

wdwowner

Mouseketeer
Kevin, have you seen the D23 magazine yet? If not, shame on you for saying things you do not know.

It is a BEAUTIFUL magazine, it is 12" x 12" (much larger than a traditional magazine), it has heavy weight paper and NO advertising at all!! If you compare it to People magazine ($5) it is that price because it is 50% advertising. The articles are written by the people who make the Disney magic, the exact people who Disney fans cherish and admire the most.

The pictures are awesome, it is something you would put on your coffee table. When you get one, and I hope you do, you will see for yourself why the price is $16.00. It is not cheep to make and print a magazine this size, especially without ads.

If you are a fan of Disney history and its people, you will love the magazine for sure. Kevin, please give it a try.

--

I guess I am just getting tired of people who keep bashing D23 and saying it should have included a loyalty program. I did not see anything in the pre-announcement stuff that lead me to believe there was any loyalty part of this, and people keep insisting there was. D23 its what it is, let's enjoy it for what it is, and let Disney know they really SHOULD have a loyalty program in place, but it should be separate from D23.

I am now getting off my soapbox, but let's keep D23 and loyalty program separate. Thanks.

I have seen the D23 magazine in person at Barnes and Noble and I do not think it's worth $16.00. I don't care what kind of paper they used and I would not mind it if they had advertising in it. They could make the old Disney magazine for much less and I enjoyed it just as much, if not more.

I'm not dissapointed that D23 didn't include a loyalty program, I'm disapointed that "Disney" hasn't produced a loyalty program.

D23 has no interest to me as of yet, because I can get the magazine at B&N...I don't have the money to buy the stuff they have created...and the interesting things to read are available to all, or will be on someones Disney website.

Kevin, have you seen the D23 magazine yet? If not, shame on you for saying things you do not know.

Yes...and I still stand by the fact that I got Walt's 900 page biography for $21.00. I think $16.00 is a very high price. And thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

I guess I am just getting tired of people who keep bashing D23 and saying it should have included a loyalty program. I did not see anything in the pre-announcement stuff that lead me to believe there was any loyalty part of this, and people keep insisting there was. D23 its what it is, let's enjoy it for what it is, and let Disney know they really SHOULD have a loyalty program in place, but it should be separate from D23.

I am now getting off my soapbox, but let's keep D23 and loyalty program separate. Thanks.

I am thrilled that you are so happy with what you have received. Has anything anyone has said altered YOUR opinion of what you paid to join?

I have stated this repeatedly....During the roll out Bob Iger declared that this was for "Disney's highest affinity group". This lead a LOT of people to think that this was something for everyone. From everything I'm reading, there are a LOT of people that feel left out. I'm one of them.

Again....I'm thrilled that you are happy with your purchase.

Not too sure I like the tone of that original post. Kevin is much more polite than I would have been. Good on ya, Kevin. :)

I'm not dissapointed that D23 didn't include a loyalty program, I'm disapointed that "Disney" hasn't produced a loyalty program.

D23 has no interest to me as of yet, because I can get the magazine at B&N...I don't have the money to buy the stuff they have created...and the interesting things to read are available to all, or will be on someones Disney website.
This will be their biggest problem. It is nice to have the magazine, but the interesting articles will be posted on a website while the latest magazine is still hot off the press. Those who join (I haven't decided yet) will have to decide if they want the pretty pictures for themselves or if they really just want to read the articles. As for the "discounts", they have excluded us by only offering a discount for a convention in CA. I don't know about anyone else, but I am having a tough time convincing DH to book our next WDW trip much less trek across the states for a (I think) $9 discount for a CA convention.

I think I will bow out of the whole D23 thing.

Blinders are a terrible thing to wear, you don't get to see the entire horizon when fixated on one small idea. Walt never had blinders on.

It sounds like it's more of a book... I just don't get why they didn't issue it that way and give it a better price... in these times... people aren't going to throw money around that much at B&N and such...

Blinders are a terrible thing to wear, you don't get to see the entire horizon when fixated on one small idea. Walt never had blinders on.

Hmm.. that advice seems to be something people on both sides to take. No offense, but it seems to me that Kevin's POV was the one without blinders, not yours. Sorry though!

I'm sorry you feel the need to bow out of the discussion.

One of the things you learn very quickly in this environment is that many people will have a different view point than you and as long as they follow the DIS guidelines and are respectful....they get get to express it just as you get to express yours.

It seems that there are folks with differing opinions of D23 and just because their opinions dont match yours doesnt mean that they arent knowledgeable about what they are talking about, wearing blinders or fixated on a small idea.

It just means see things differently then you.

Hey Kevin, My oldest son (21) made this huge presentation to me Xmas morning, including a very serious speech about morals, values and God. He then presented me with the new family bible aka Walt's autobiography....it was hilarious.

btw, I'm with you on this one.

I'm a D23 member. Do I think others should be in love with D23...no. I'm a member because I love Disney magazines and thought it would be something cool on my coffee table. For me it was a magazine subscription with a couple neat perks. I can see why others don't like it, but I think I'll enjoy being a member.

D23 hasn't convinced me yet that it's worth my $75. They gave it such hype that I thought it had to be bigger than it really was. But I'm waiting to see what happens. I bought the magazine. I really like it. I work in publishing so I understand the print costs and appreciate a nice publication.
If they add more to it I might bite but I'm not a history buff (tho Disney history does interest me) and I don't really collect anything so I have no interest in exclusive merchandise.
My family goes to Disney at least once a year, sometimes more, so I definitely would love some type of loyalty program. But I'm not expecting it. Maybe the situation this country is in has to get even worse before Disney considers a loyalty program.
In the business I'm in, if the fish don't bite, you change the bait.

I'm a D23 member. Do I think others should be in love with D23...no. I'm a member because I love Disney magazines and thought it would be something cool on my coffee table. For me it was a magazine subscription with a couple neat perks. I can see why others don't like it, but I think I'll enjoy being a member.

Admit it, you bought it because it goes so well with your new sectional sofa!

I'm a DVC Member and I receive a magazine 4 times a year from Disney - its a magazine related to DVC stuff and its all good., in fact, I just received my latest issue this past week.
I really can't see the rhyme or reason to spend $75 on D23. I read the store display magazine at Barnes & Noble and I thought it was underwhelming. The website is interesting and I downloaded and printed a lot of interesting Disney stuff for free - the history of Walt Disney, the history of he Company and the list of every Disney movies - all good stuff.
I guess the bottom line for me is that I would rather use that $ 75 towards my next Disney trip - be it for airfare, dining, hotels or park tikets or even merchandise before I spend $75 on D23.
You know if they had priced it at $ 20 or $ 25 I would have joined without thinking but $75 makes me think and pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter