Dad refuses to allow his daugher a Make a Wish trip?

Read more before you start calling him names, please? No, I don't know him - but there's a fairly busy thread on the Community Board right now - and it appears the father (a) doesn't realize that being in remission isn't the same as being cured; and (b) isn't aware that whether his daughter gets her wish or not has zero effect on other kids' wishes.

A different news site ( I wish I could recall so I could post the link) reported this story and added into it that the parents are divorced and do not live together. They also quoted the father as saying that Make a Wish should not have to pay for extra people such as grandma to go. I try to not judge and I hope that the father is just being ignorant about his daughters condition, but to me personally i think it may be that he does not want his ex to enjoy a trip. I may be jaded because I have a very spiteful ex and as I said I hope that this is not the case. In either way I am sure that they will get to go due to the large amount of exposer this story has gotten.

Read more before you start calling him names, please? No, I don't know him - but there's a fairly busy thread on the Community Board right now - and it appears the father (a) doesn't realize that being in remission isn't the same as being cured; and (b) isn't aware that whether his daughter gets her wish or not has zero effect on other kids' wishes.

Even if we're extremely generous and believe this is truly what's going on (I think it's more likely about his ex), the guy's still an idiot. Spending 10 minutes doing some googling about Make-A-Wish would have made the rules clear to him. You would think he could take the time to do that before he pulls the plug on his sick daughter's trip to WDW! :furious:

One of my Disboutique friends just checked it out with Make-a-Wish. It is legit, but the Make-a-wish chapter said it is a family matter and they are hopeful it will work out and the child will still get her wish.

From what I just saw through facebook - the father is going to be on our local news (I didn't realize this was so close to me until I saw the news feed) The father actually commented on the story saying there's a lot more to it and he's being interviewed on the news tonight and will get his story out. Should be interesting to see.

Yikes. What a sad story. Regardless of what either side has to say about the situation, a little girl is in cancer remission and that is something no child or family should have to endure. The one good thing from this situation is that the Make A Wish Foundation has gotten a lot of people interested in their foundation and I hope people will make a donation directly to the charity. I have feeling that this very deserving little girl will get her wish granted!

A different news site ( I wish I could recall so I could post the link) reported this story and added into it that the parents are divorced and do not live together. They also quoted the father as saying that Make a Wish should not have to pay for extra people such as grandma to go. I try to not judge and I hope that the father is just being ignorant about his daughters condition, but to me personally i think it may be that he does not want his ex to enjoy a trip. I may be jaded because I have a very spiteful ex and as I said I hope that this is not the case. In either way I am sure that they will get to go due to the large amount of exposer this story has gotten.

The parents were never married and broke up either when the child was 1 month or she dscovered she was pregnant. Mom now has enough for the trip so she will get her wish dispite her dad's objections.

Denise in MI

Personally I think it'd take a lot for a parent to be intentionally malicious to a cancer stricken child, and I don't think that's what's going on here. I wouldn't be surprised if other issues come into it like what seems to be coming out in this story but I sincerely doubt his thinking is anything along the lines of "MWAHAHAHA I"M AN EVIL PERSON AND I SHALL SCREW MY CHILD OUT OF A TRIP!!!" People seem all too quick to paint him that way :artist: (always wanted an excuse to use that smiley) I think he is just letting other stuff get in the way of clear thinking and maybe he is just ignorant as to how the trips work but I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions.

One of the issues appears to be that the mom and grandparents get to go but it wasn't offered to his side of the family... From what I've seen he did not have any visitation rights until recently so why should the trip be extended to him? There are all kinds of accusations flying as family and friends are battling it out in the comments of the news stations facebook pages. The one I feel sorry for is this little girl - appears not only has she been battling for her life, she's been th center of a battle. I did hear that the mother and grandmother did raise money for the trip so I hope they do take her and focus the trip on thsi little girl.
I'm sure if they do, our local news will continue to follow.

the father and Mother were never married and Mom has custody he "heard" about the child whom he has NOT seen for long time thru her illness by the way and was getting a Make a wish trip because of her cancer (which is in remission and that does not mean cured) and her close family. Bio Dad was not invited so this mess was started by him. Make a Wish checks all these people out and makes sure as they can no one abusing it. Dad here is hurting NO ONE but his bio child. He is messing with the childs Mother plain and simple and PROBABLY why he not in the childs life to begin with. The child in question will get her trip to WDW regardless. so the bully has lost this round. the bio Dad needs to man up and help take care of his child if he wants a say in it.

It doesn't matter whether he was invited or not - if he is the bio dad and has some sort of custodial rights (which it appears he does), then he is legally obligated to sign off on a wish, and in fact he is the person who "should" be going as the second adult participant per MaW guidelines.

As for his comments about only being for kids with six months to live, that tells me he wasn't invited in on any of the discussion with the MaW people at all. They're incredibly quick to correct that misunderstanding. If he didn't sit in on that, then I can understand a whole slew of problems coming from it, including issues with wish participants and travel waivers.

If I were going to guess, I'd say the issue is probably about does dad get to go as one of the two paid adults instead of the grandmother, and that's something a.) the mother and father should have worked out together and b.) absolutely has to be settled before the trip planning can happen.

This is actually more common than most people realize, especially in situations where you have divorces and step-parents, but most parents keep it out of the media and eventually settle it behind the scenes. I don't know enough about the family dynamics to know who is "at fault," from the mother refusing to let the father visit or the father legitimately being uninterested, but I do hope it will get worked out.

I do find the donations bit a little bit odd though. Odds are they will eventually get this worked out and she will get to go on her Wish trip to Disney. Why collect the money? It's not like because it's delayed right now it will never happen. Also, it doesn't make sense that they yanked the wish request. I know lots of wishes that sat in limbo for a year or more because of paperwork issues and participant issues, and this could have almost certainly happened in this case. There's a piece missing there that doesn't involve the father refusing to sign paperwork to let his child participate/the grandmother go in his place.

Quite honestly...........I can see the Father's position..........and he is entitled to that opinion.

Now that said, if the Father has that opinion and refused to sign off on the trip.............he DAM WELL should be ponying up the money to pay for the trip himself!

IMHO

AKK

An article in the Toledo Blade today states that they have raised enough money for the trip to go forward next month.
According to the article, he did not sign off because the trip was for the child, her mother, half sister and grandparents. He felt that he and his other children should be able to experience it with her. The Blade says that MAW did approve his trip but due to the conflicts, the mother cancelled the trip and decided to take up donations. They did collect enough money from local donations in addition to having an out of state non-profit offer to pay the entire amount.
The good thing - it looks like this little girl will get her wish and I hope she has a wonderful trip as she's the one that deserves it.

There's a thread on the "family" site that is basically the same, and there it said the dad was planning to take his daughter to Disney himself, didn't need to use MAW to do it.

So....they have an out of state agency offering to pay for the trip PLUS they raised enough money to go on their own? Sounds like they have more than most people get for a Wish trip already.

An article in the Toledo Blade today states that they have raised enough money for the trip to go forward next month.
According to the article, he did not sign off because the trip was for the child, her mother, half sister and grandparents. He felt that he and his other children should be able to experience it with her. The Blade says that MAW did approve his trip but due to the conflicts, the mother cancelled the trip and decided to take up donations. They did collect enough money from local donations in addition to having an out of state non-profit offer to pay the entire amount.
The good thing - it looks like this little girl will get her wish and I hope she has a wonderful trip as she's the one that deserves it.
Ah, I see - so it's not the dad refusing to let her go, it's mom refusing to let her take an approved Wish trip if her father gets to go along as well.

That makes much more sense and jives with the details I've read, and certainly puts a different spin on things.

Also, the donations thing is still stupid. She's going to get a Wish (whether it's a Disney trip or something else) at some point. The mother is raising money from others that could have concievably been donated to grant other wishes.

Well it seems like so many issues.........dig a little deeper and the whole story changes!

Seems most of us including myself owe the Father a appology.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter