Daddy. Daughter. Disney.

AustinNYC

Earning My Ears
Hey all,

I've been a DIS member for over a decade now but haven't posted in many many years. Boy, has life changed since I last posted anything here.... I'm taking my 5 year old daughter to WDW in mid-October during her fall break. Her mom and I divorced over a year ago and this is my first trip as a solo parent. I'm absolutely excited about it and I want to ensure I don't have any unnecessary stressors. What are things any of you have experienced as a solo parent with a young child at Disney? I would particularly love to hear from any other dads out there that have done a similar trip!! I'll be sure to post any experiences/lessons learned here when we get back.
IMG_9034.jpg

Our DGD’s first trip to WDW was when she was 5 and our son was a single dad. It was a family trip - there were 9 of us - but they had a lot of time on their own and had a blast. My fondest memory is that her absolute favorite ride turned out to be Tower of Terror, which is the ride he hates the most. And he was a good Daddy and rode it with her, over and over and over again! So I’d say let her lead the way, and be prepared to meet princesses (or not), to ride things you don’t like but she does, etc.!

I've never been as a solo parent, but I have had extended time in the parks with both kids. I would say the biggest challenge for me was bathrooms, so that I could use the bathroom, change the younger one's diaper and have the older one go.

If it's just you and the 5 year old, I'd develop a bathroom plan.

I've never been as a solo parent, but I have had extended time in the parks with both kids. I would say the biggest challenge for me was bathrooms, so that I could use the bathroom, change the younger one's diaper and have the older one go.

All the parks have Family bathrooms - my dad used them with my mom when she became wheelchair bound, but they’re not restricted to guests with wheelchairs, scooters, etc. I can’t say whether they have diaper changing stations, though.

All the parks have Family bathrooms - my dad used them with my mom when she became wheelchair bound, but they’re not restricted to guests with wheelchairs, scooters, etc. I can’t say whether they have diaper changing stations, though.

Not all of them do. We managed and while my younger one still uses a stroller, I at least have a place to contain her. Even out in the real world, if I'm with the both of them, I need a bathroom plan.

Not a bad idea. The family RR are definitely helpful. When its just the two of us, she comes into the bathroom with me and I always use the ADA stall because it offers us privacy and allows other gentlemen from being uncomfortable. She will make vocal commentary about smells which can be pretty funny for those listening.

Our DGD’s first trip to WDW was when she was 5 and our son was a single dad. It was a family trip - there were 9 of us - but they had a lot of time on their own and had a blast. My fondest memory is that her absolute favorite ride turned out to be Tower of Terror, which is the ride he hates the most. And he was a good Daddy and rode it with her, over and over and over again! So I’d say let her lead the way, and be prepared to meet princesses (or not), to ride things you don’t like but she does, etc.!

Totally, she will be in charge! I'll make "suggestions", but I don't plan to commit to any paid-for plans aside from the MNSSHP.

Recently went with my young daughter and wife. I think a main point to consider, and it doesn’t matter how many or how few people are in the group, is to have a general plan for each day, but be super flexible on it because of the age of the kid.

Example: have 1 or 2 rides/attractions that ‘must’ be done each day, but beyond that, just do as much as can naturally be done. While the plan might have been to stay in the park until (insert time here), kiddo is cranky and exhausted 2 hours before that. Rather than force the remainder, call it a day and regroup for tomorrow.

Even though I planned this way in advance, I had to constantly remind myself to abide by it, because there’s SO MUCH to do, I kept feeling like I ‘had’ to do this and this and this….

Hey, welcome back! As a solo dad, I’d say pack plenty of snacks and take breaks often. Also, use rider switch for the bigger rides and don't hesitate to ask cast members for help. Have an amazing trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter