• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Daily Room Checks

cmwade77

DIS Veteran
Reading the FAQ thread about the daily room checks, I am seeing people who have had gift cards stolen, people walking straight in unannounced, etc.

This makes me wonder, has anyone called the police when such events occur? I would, for example the gift card was a $500 gift card, the theft should have been reported to the police. I would consider someone walking in unannounced to be an intruder in the room and as such, I would be dialing 911 immediately. Yes, they claim they are a cast member, but it would be possible for a criminal to have stolen a name tag and costume and make that claim. So, again, this would be an intruder in the room until proven otherwise and 911 should be called.

Your best bet is to install surveillance equipment in your room if you’re worried. This is what folks did during Def Con in LV.

I am not talking about when I am not there (well, ok, the theft part when not there), but when I am there and someone breaks into my room.

And even if you do have surveillance installed, did you report it to the police?

Personally, I leave my laptop open in such a way that it is pointing towards the safe and records based on motion in the range of the camera (I use this for anti-theft normally anyway since it uploads automatically) so there would be evidence, but what do you do with said evidence? Do you call the police or do you just let Disney handle it internally? I think the police need to be involved personally.

Use the latch and the deadbolt. You'll be fine.
I have been in way too many rooms where the latch and deadbolt can easily be overridden and I would imagine Disney has said ability as well. Additionally, I would report any attempt while I was in the room, Disney needs to learn to respect the room occupied or do not disturb (as applicable) sign.

Sorry but I don't believe a lot of what people say about room checks.
In the beginning yes they were too invasive but they quickly toned that down.
If you get daily housekeeping that is your room check.
If you opt out at a value or moderate then yes someone will still come by daily.
They will knock and announce themselves. If you're in your room put your latch on so that there is no way for them to just open the door.
If someone is indecent you just let them know its a bad time and they'll come back later to check the room.
I've never kept money/gift cards in the room but if I did I'd tuck them away in my luggage or in the safe and lock the safe and take the key.
If you don't like the thought of room checks or housekeeping then stay somewhere else.

I have been in way too many rooms where the latch and deadbolt can easily be overridden and I would imagine Disney has said ability as well. Additionally, I would report any attempt while I was in the room, Disney needs to learn to respect the room occupied or do not disturb (as applicable) sign.

Report to whom? You would report to the police that a WDW employee was trying to enter WDW property?

I think you are blowing this out of proportion. You seem to be very worked up over something you seem to think will happen to you. I have stayed onsite over 40 times and have never had anything stolen from our room. I've stayed onsite at least 6 times since the security checks have started and no one has ever walked in on us unannounced or otherwise. Housekeeping typically arrives when we are out of the room and the only thing they've ever taken is the tip I have clearly marked for them on the bedside table.

To piggyback on what others have said:
If something is stolen from your room that is a crime and should be reported to the police. Disney is not the police, and what they do about it is up to them.

Common sense while traveling is to lock valuables and medications in the safe (or arrange other means to secure/ hide them if they do not fit in the safe or if the room does not have a safe).

If you latch the door when you are in the room, no one can come in unexpectedly (unless they are going to break the door down but I have to think they'd prefer to just come back at a later time over that option unless they really think there's a good reason to break the door down such as a person in distress/ fire/ flood). Again, this is common sense while traveling. I hate to point out one more thing to give anyone a sense of panic but why would an intruder need to steal a name tag and costume to pull this off? This is why common travel advice is to latch the door when you are in the room.

Someone entering a room for valid purpose, with proper credentials, is not breaking in. They are a hotel employee entering a hotel room that you do not own. It's not your living room.

Keep in mind that in some states the law is that if you wish to use covert cameras you are required to display in writing that you are doing so. Some states require two-party consent as well.

There have been no reports of Disney employees overriding dead bolts and security latches to get into rooms. If someone does that then call the police.

You are about 2 years late to the party. There are a pile of threads from 2 years ago when this policy was announced. All of you questions and concerns were debated on those. Including all the legalities. I don't think most of us want to start this all over again.

I'll clarify a couple of things

1) No one can walk into your room unannounced while you're in it if you use the door bar latch. That's what it's for. The door will open an inch or two, and you can call out that you're not able to open the door right now. They'll come back later. I have read more threads on this topic than I care to count, many thousands of posts, and I have not seen one single report of a Disney employee forcing a door open and forcing their way into a room. Believe me, if there had been such a report posted here, the boards would have gone up in flames.

2) If you have valuables with you and don't feel safe leaving them in your suitcase or in the room safe, you can take them to the front desk and they'll put them into locked storage for you.

Dont over worry this....Its a non issue. Leave your room lock up and just enjoy your vacation. When u are there...latch it or let them look in. Non issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter