Dairy, Gluten, and Chocolate free food

Oregongram

Mouseketeer
Cruising on Dream June 2018.
Have looked at MDR menus and as many pictures as I can find.

Would like suggestions for menu offerings that are:
* dairy free (cow, sheep, goat)
* no balsamic vinegar (react to anything that has been in wood cask, including alcohol)
* no wood smoke flavoring (no BBQ sauce)
* no chocolate (react to chocolate regardless if dairy is an ingredient
* no corn
* can tolerate some gluten, for instance light breading, but no pasta, rolls, bread.

WDW chefs have done fantastic job for me but seems like I always end up with salad, some sort of meat and veggies.

I can eat the lighter offerings of meat and veggies but that's what I eat at home, plus lots and lots of salad with olive oil dressing. Love curries made with coconut milk.

Dessert is not a big deal for me. Fresh fruit is fine.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I'm trying to get excited about eating on the ship but looking at the menus is depressing. I'm focusing on all the things I can't have.

Thanks.

I have a child with chronic food allergies, as well as multiple disabilities and while I can't recommend anything in particular on the menu (because she doesn't eat from it at all) I can tell you that the sole reason we cruise with DCL is because it's the only point in my role as Mum where I don't have to panic about cross contamination or her existing purely on ice cubes for a week. I'm not sure to what degree your allergies are but we are dealing with life threatening reactions and they've always made her starters, mains, pudding and an array of snacks that keep her fed, safe, happy and included. As soon as you're onboard find your dining room head server or the dining manager and go over everything, you'll be amazed at what they'll be able to do. Keep in mind that self serve/fast food type stuff (breakfast/lunch) is generally harder to navigate if your allergy is severe enough to be impacted by cross contamination. I prepare my Daughters breakfast and lunch separately and away from the self serve areas.

Please make sure that your allergies are all noted on your reservation. That will help as the head server will be more prepared to help you with ordering and possibly coming up with off-menu dishes. It also helps the chefs in their ordering of supplies so that they can also make things for you that meet your needs.

I've just seen more than once on ships (not just DCL) people who just assumed that things would be taken care of because "so many people have allergies they have to be prepared" and had never noted their allergies. Example: Halfway through a 12-night Med cruise on RCCL, the gluten-free breads and other things began running low and/or completely out because way more people needed gf things than had reported it. Thankfully there was an overnight in Venice where RCCL has a supplier and they were able to restock.

Agreed to note on your reservation all your allergies in the special requests area. Then on your first day, go to lunch at the Sit down restaurant and let your server know you have dietary restrictions, they will pull over the head server and they will pull your file and discuss with you. Then you will be given a menu to that night's dinner (for your rotation) and you go over it with them. At Dinner, you will do the same for sit down breakfast, Lunch and Dinner the next day and they will specially prepare if for you. We traveled with friends who had very specific allergies that are similar to your diverse list of sensitivities and DCL was wonderful. It might have been the 2 head servers that we happened to get. The first one at Lunch and then our rotational head server. I think the key is letting them know ahead of time and then also your first meal.

Thank you all. Your advise and comments were very helpful.
I'm used to meeting with chefs at WDW to discuss meals but wasn't sure of the process on a cruise.

Thank you all. Your advise and comments were very helpful.
I'm used to meeting with chefs at WDW to discuss meals but wasn't sure of the process on a cruise.

My fiance is celiac and she has always been taken care when we cruise with the DCL. She talked to the head server the day we arrived and after dinner he made suggestions for the following day for breakfast and dinner. He asked if she would eat breakfast in the morning before heading out for our port adventures and he would note what she wanted and make sure to pass it on the the kitchen were she said we would be eating in the morning. At lunch time she would just ask to talk to the chef in the kitchen at the time to get suggestions of what she could eat. Best part of all of the inconvenience of talking and waiting for her food to get ready was that it was always fresh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter