Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

We've had TSA trusted traveler status for years and love it. If you google TSA pre check, though, you'll find that even with TT or paying for Pre Check status that pre check is not guaranteed. It's supposed to depend on how often you travel and in our experience that seems to be true. I travel a lot more for business than my husband does. We always joke about whether the TSA Gods decided to bestow him with Pre Check - there's been many times I'll get pre check and he won't.
Is TSA trusted traveler status the same as Global Entry? According to what I read, with Global Entry, you're supposed to get TSA PreChek every time unless you are chosen for random extra screening, which is random, and can happen to anyone. I've gotten it a lot recently even without the Global Entry, but with things the way they are these days with the TSA, I prefer to have it in more of a guaranteed status.

You will be so glad you got it! Boy did it come in handy coming back home. The line for customs was so long they were not letting people get into the line after they got off our plane. They were holding them in the hallway before customs. Only people with global entry was allowed to proceed. There was no line so we were out in less than a minute.
YIKES! Now I'm doubly glad!!

Sayhello

I've had TSA pre for years (Army), but just got Global Entry this spring. We'll see how handy it comes in this fall, but if it is anything like what Calypso dealt with, I'll be very happy that I got it! That sounds horrible.

Now, I just have to get DH to apply. May as well since it is free with our AMEX and he does travel for work. I think he'll definitely appreciate it.
For Global Entry, you both have to have it (or you go through customs separately). He can't get through on yours.

Sayhello

How has the weather been? As it relates to clothes?

Sayhello
The weather has been cool...upper 60s to low 70s so far. It seems like the weather is very unpredictable here. We did the Prague pre-adventure and it was very hot there and it is supposed to get to the upper 70s for the rest of the week.

OMG, which airport?

This was when we connected in Boston last night.

I've had TSA pre for years (Army), but just got Global Entry this spring. We'll see how handy it comes in this fall, but if it is anything like what Calypso dealt with, I'll be very happy that I got it! That sounds horrible.

Now, I just have to get DH to apply. May as well since it is free with our AMEX and he does travel for work. I think he'll definitely appreciate it.

I've always been happy to avoid the lines coming back home through Miami Int'l Airport. Never been so happy to have it than this past trip! The line yesterday was insane and it was after 10 pm. We had an overnight connection that departed at 6 something this morning. This morning was the happiest I have been to have been pre checked! The security line stretched on and on and on. Meanwhile, the pre check line only had a few people.

The weather has been cool...upper 60s to low 70s so far. It seems like the weather is very unpredictable here. We did the Prague pre-adventure and it was very hot there and it is supposed to get to the upper 70s for the rest of the week.
Thanks! So pretty much, layers.

Sayhello

Thanks, carpenta! That's great info.

Sayhello
This is great info. I'll be traveling with 5 other adults, so I can't speak for all of them as to what the "group" is going to want to do. I think meeting everyone in that area even if it's just to say hello (especially to you, sayhello!) would be fantastic! Can't believe we leave the day after tomorrow!!!!!!!! After booking this adventure 16 months ago..... YIPEEEEE!!!

So just following up. I know @pandw said they were interested in meeting for dinner on the pre-day (July 20th) in Budapest. Is anyone else interested? If I'm correct, @Eeyore18, @slg, @Carolann4, @Jmagid, @Hlee & @bruinspin are also on the July 21st cruise. We could plan to meet in the lobby of the Marriott at a particular time (6pm?) Not sure how we'll know each other, although maybe we could carry something from the ABD box (the orange strap? :) ) We could then talk to the concierge about somewhere to eat.

Let me know what you think!

Sayhello

ETA: Adding @PrincessRunningSlow to the list!
I answered below.... but this will be fun to see everyone even if we don't eat together. :) Day after tomorrow!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I am on the cruise now. I want to pass on one very BIG piece of advice...do not worry about packing extra clothes for dinner! We come back from excursions very late and pretty much go straight to dinner. Several Disney executives are on board with us and they are also going straight to dinner without changing clothes. People are wearing their jeans and shorts to dinner. If dressing up is your thing, go ahead. Just don't think you have to.
GREAT information! Thank you!!! Going to still pack one or two sundresses (because I bought them for the cruise...) but still, so much less stress in packing!!!!

This is great info. I'll be traveling with 5 other adults, so I can't speak for all of them as to what the "group" is going to want to do. I think meeting everyone in that area even if it's just to say hello (especially to you, sayhello!) would be fantastic! Can't believe we leave the day after tomorrow!!!!!!!! After booking this adventure 16 months ago..... YIPEEEEE!!!

I answered below.... but this will be fun to see everyone even if we don't eat together. :) Day after tomorrow!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Hopefully it all works out, but my plan is to be there at 6pm! I can't believe it's day after tomorrow, either! I booked this opening day! ALMOST THERE!!!!

Sayhello

I am on the cruise now. I want to pass on one very BIG piece of advice...do not worry about packing extra clothes for dinner! We come back from excursions very late and pretty much go straight to dinner. Several Disney executives are on board with us and they are also going straight to dinner without changing clothes. People are wearing their jeans and shorts to dinner. If dressing up is your thing, go ahead. Just don't think you have to.

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been stressing about the dinner clothes (mostly because my husband gets annoyed at me every time I mention him bringing dress clothes). Any chance you went to the classical concert? If you did, how dressy was that? Would women need a dress or skirt? Would men need a jacket or would pants and a dress shirt be appropriate?

Hopefully it all works out, but my plan is to be there at 6pm! I can't believe it's day after tomorrow, either! I booked this opening day! ALMOST THERE!!!!

Sayhello

Wishing you a wonderful trip and sitting on the edge of my seat for your up coming review Sayhello. Safe travels.

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been stressing about the dinner clothes (mostly because my husband gets annoyed at me every time I mention him bringing dress clothes). Any chance you went to the classical concert? If you did, how dressy was that? Would women need a dress or skirt? Would men need a jacket or would pants and a dress shirt be appropriate?

I went to the classical concert. There is no AC in the room and it is warm. I saw one man in a jacket, but I wouldn't recommend wearing one. Some were dressed up some were in shorts and tees and it seemed fine whichever route you chose to go. I had DH wear a dress shirt and I dressed up my outfit a bit with accessories and flats. Some women were in skirts or a dress. Totally not necessary. If I were to go again tomorrow I would not worry about dressing up anything and would pack less and be more comfortable. I also would not feel out of place which was my main concern and the reason I even packed outfits for dinner. Don't do it. You really don't need to. I'd only bring one outfit that was a step above jeans, shorts and t-shirts to wear. I'd wear it for the chef's table dinner and that would only be because I wanted to have one dinner that was kind of like being at Palo on DCL.

Wishing you a wonderful trip and sitting on the edge of my seat for your up coming review Sayhello. Safe travels.
Thanks, carpenta! :D It likely won't be real time (I have nothing but respect for people who can manage that!) but I *will* be doing one!

Sayhello

We will try to stop by around 6:00 also. Depends how tired we are from the jet lag. We leave tomorrow night at 8:00 pm.
Can't believe it is here!
I know there's no guarantee for anyone! :) We all have to play it by ear for arrival day! I hope you're up to it, and we see you there. Otherwise, on the ship! Since we have WiFi on the ship, I will be checking in here ocassionally!

Sayhello

For those who have (or are doing) this cruise, was there anything you needed a backpack or similar bag for? Or will I be OK with my travel purse I normally use? It can be worn cross-body.

Sayhello

For those who have (or are doing) this cruise, was there anything you needed a backpack or similar bag for? Or will I be OK with my travel purse I normally use? It can be worn cross-body.

Sayhello

I used my travel purse which is a cross body. I only needed to carry my camera, phone, sunglasses, inhaler and it was convenient to carry a water bottle when I wanted to be hands free.

I used my travel purse which is a cross body. I only needed to carry my camera, phone, sunglasses, inhaler and it was convenient to carry a water bottle when I wanted to be hands free.
Thanks! That's what I thought, but thank you for confirming!

Sayhello

Is TSA trusted traveler status the same as Global Entry? According to what I read, with Global Entry, you're supposed to get TSA PreChek every time unless you are chosen for random extra screening, which is random, and can happen to anyone. I've gotten it a lot recently even without the Global Entry, but with things the way they are these days with the TSA, I prefer to have it in more of a guaranteed status.

YIKES! Now I'm doubly glad!!

Sayhello

Yes, Trusted Traveler aka Known Traveler aka Global Entry are all the same. Maybe things have changed recently but here's where I was reading about TT and PreCheck:

"Having your Known Traveler ID connected to your ticket information will then make you eligible for TSA PreCheck, but it’s not a guarantee – you won’t get selected every time, though it is pretty consistent. The good news is, your odds increase every time you fly: two years ago, when I first got Global Entry, I was being selected about 50% of the time, but these days it’s more like 100% – even on international itineraries.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/how...tsa-precheck-with-global-entry/#ixzz4EoFRivpm

Skipping the line at customs is way worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter