Dare I say it ~ I don't feel like going to WDW.

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all! Maybe it's just a phase, but I'm not in the WDW mood lately. Prehaps I've saturated myself with WDW.

I am having a hard time planning next years trip, just don't feel like going really. Now that PO is about to go under rehab, I think I would prefer to wait until it's all over and done with and then go when it's nice and new looking.

What do you all think? Have you felt this way before? Should I wait until PO is finished rehab? With SARS, the war, my weight gain ~ I'll just been in a funk lately. THANKS! S

Hi Sandra,

The war is almost over, SARS is almost over, you will lose the weight in no time and you will be back in the Disney mood soon too!

I always think that if we do not have the crappy days, we never appreciate the good ones.

The funk will end soon, I promise.

Louise

Sandra we just returned from 24 days in Florida and you sure can bet that if I could return tomorrow I'd be gone in a flash!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I'm sure things will look better tomorrow!;)

Sandra, when I heard that PO was closing for refurb I knew you would be disappointed. Maybe you could stay at ASMo and with the money you save, stay at BC for more nights.

As Sammi has said, I'd go back "tomorrow" if I could. April 2004 is still a long way off and as things settle down in the world, I'm sure you'll feel better.

Hi Sandra! I was looking forward to POFQ ... but now I think I'm leaning more towards CBR/AKL. I agree with Louise and everyone else! Maybe you should take a break from planning. Sometimes thinking about all the little details can make the trip seem really overwhelming! Don't worry about the weight! I think you look fine :) At least you have a year ... I thought I would have my 10 pound clippie up by now :rolleyes: and I've only got a month!

Has the world gone mad!

Sandra, please not you! It's just this freakin' looooong winter!
Snap out of it Girl!

To tell you the truth, we leave this Thursday, have nothing prepared, too tired from moving my mother this weekend, mind is mush! But I know once I get on that plane and smell that Orlando Air! BAM! I know it will all pass! As will your feelings.

Ok, I promise next meet I will only bring fruit and not tempting treats!LOL

Scratch
;)

I thought the same thing, if Sandra was losing her Disney feelings than this world is definitely gone mad!
Sandra, dear dear Sandra everything will be okay...relax, take a deep breath...it'll all come back to you.

Sandra,

I know whereof you speak, and I'm sorry I can't add to the voices of encouragement. Ever since 9/11 I've had a difficult time even thinking about being in WDW and enjoying it - it almost seems like "survivors guilt" (not that I've ever survived anything, but I think you get my meaning).

The WDW "feeling" for me has always rested with Disney's ability to capture elements of imagination and seamlessly transform them (almost flawlessly) into reality. The background music, the perfectly manicured environment, Main Street USA... But lately, reality - the REAL reality, has intruded so far into my life (our lives?) that I find it difficult to push it back. I am at the point where I worry more about the "we can't do X because that would be letting the terrorists win" sentiment, than I worry about my own funk. Maybe its time for a little reflection, a little reality. Time for prayer and faith and solemness. Maybe WDW should be put on the shelf, if only for a little while. Our toys can come out to play soon enough.

Or maybe this feeling will pass and I'll find myself immersing myself in "The Hollywood that never was" again, skipping down Main Street with my kids, and enjoying fireworks at the end of a perfect Disney day. And if the feeling doesn't leave entirely, maybe that's not such a bad thing. I do know this though: "This too shall pass".

Best wishes. :)

DisFan2 ~ you nailed it on the head! While we did enjoy our Disney trip seven months after 9/11 ~ I am still very much shell shocked and overwhelmed with the global situation. Logically, I know I have no control over world events ~ but I have always been on the hyper-sensitive side and I take on the pain of others. I have been feeling the need to be close to home and close to the people I love. I have even started getting panic attacks if I drive to far from home. I know this will pass. I have been getting episodes of panic attacks all my life. When they started again four weeks ago (the day after the war started) I got very sad. I know I will get out of this ~ I have in the past. I have stopped planning our Disney vacation for now. Gary has been on the camping kick again so we are thinking about places to camp close to home. I caught myself enjoying the thought of camping yesterday. I hope that is a positive sign. Thanks all for your kind words. You are right DisFan2 ~ this too shall pass! PEACE! Sandra

Just give yourself some time and you'll be back in the mood. We are going to go to Mexico one year, WDW the next.
That gives lots of time for small changes!

I can understand how you feel. The world is so different now. I've been glued to CNN recently and finally I had to stop. I'm still keeping track of the news, but I can't let myself get completely overwhelmed by it. I also understand your feelings regarding Disney. I am usually a Disney fanatic but recently, I'm not. We leave in 2 weeks for Disney and I'm not as excited as I usually am. I should be because we're staying at AKL! I've decided to TRY to be easier on myself. I'm just letting things happen. You've got lots of time before your next trip so if you don't feel like researching, don't. You may find that you miss it eventually and will return on your own terms. I even understand your feelings regarding weight gain! I'm in the same boat. I'm now training for a try-a-tri and that's helping to keep me going. Hope this helps even a little. Enjoy this wonderful weather today! Cheers!

CJK ~ thank you for your kind and understanding words. With the help of an amazing dh, my mantra is, "nothing bad is going to happen, I am only thinking about my worst fears." DH and I had a great talk and he made me realize that I am panicking about things that probably won't happen, but they are things I fear could happen. I still get down ~ this morning was a down time, but I am feeling a little better. dd is off to school, ds is still sleeping ~ I just put on the kettle and will work on classes this morning until ds gets up. It's supposed to be a gorgeous day, so I plan a walk to the library with ds later.

I did two try-a-tris in Milton. The first in September 2000 and the second September 2001. Are you training for the Suburu series? Both of my races were all women duathlons and triathlons. I was scared out of my mind about the open swim. I training in a pool which is totally different from open water. The week before the race, I went to the lake to swim and it was the best thing I did. The lake wasn't so scary during the race. Besides, I was swimming with about 300 women so any swamp monsters were swimming after the younger tastier gals and leaving us slow old broads alone. The first tri was a blast! I even meet Sandra Shamus, the actress/comic. I had a great time! I went to the race alone. I was still nursing my baby so I had to race home to feed him (no pun). The second year I did it was harder. dh and dd came to cheer me on. I freaked out in the water and ended up doing the back stroke so I could breath. The rest was better, but I felt like I was biking and running with cement shoes on. The great thing was that I lost a ton of weight during training. I trained about 3-4 times a week. I would swim a couple times a week and do bike/run 3-4 times a week. dh was great about watching the kids so I could train. I was thinking about entering a du instead of a tri this or next year. Good luck! What race are you doing? Sandra

Hi Sandra. Glad you're feeling better. Yes, I'm training for the Suburu series. The event is in August. I've got my work cut out for me! LOL I've never been a runner so I've got lots to do. I hope to swim everyday of our Disney trip to get going on the swimming part of the training. Thanks for writing about your experience. I'm impressed that you did it twice and you were breast feeding to boot!! My goal is to just finish it this time round.......and then if I do it again, I want to beat that time. We'll see. I'm learning how to salsa dance too. Thankfully there aren't any mirrors around! LOL Have a great day!

CJK ~ you are an inspiration! After I read your post, I went to the triathlon web site. I found a duathlon that interests me. hhhhmmmmm.

Did you know that Danskin hosts a Women's Triathlon at Disney World each September? It's an ultimate dream of mine to do that one! ALL WOMEN! Racing with women is incredible. We are all sisters cheering each other on! My first race, it was hysterical swimming in the lake ~ a group of us women were swimming at the same speed and we chatted the entire time. We laughed and joked. During my hard time in the second race, a bunch of women came to my rescue offering to help me swim and giving me encouragement to finish the swim. I had jumped into the lake and started too fast. I got the wind knocked out of me and when I finally realized I was in trouble, I was 150 metres off shore! During my first race, I was given advice to stay back on shore for a minute or two while the swimmers jumped into the water. When most of the racers entered the water, I slowly started my swim. I enjoyed the first race because I took it at a great pace. The second race, I got cocky and flew into the water unprepared for the litre of lake water I swallowed. So take it easy when you start. Go slow, you'll find your pace in just a few minutes.

Back to Danskin ~ the WDW Women's Tri sounds awesome! Swim the Seven Seas Lagoon, bike all over WDW and finish with a run thru Magic Kingdom. I think the race starts a 6am, so the regular opening park hours are not affected. Most folks can finish that race in 2 hours or less. It's not a try-a-tri but the distances seem managable.

In the past I thought about the Niagara-on-the-Lake Du, but I think the bike is 40k, and that's too much for me.

I hate running, HATE IT. But I learned to put up with it for the race.

Good luck! HAVE FUN TRAINING! S

ok I'm intrigued. What's a try-a-tri. I have to get serious about exercise but I'm finding it boring without some sort of goal -- weight loss is one but maybe if I had something to aim for it might be a great motivator. Any info please would be great -- the race at WDW sounds great.

Cdnmickeylover

Hi cdnmickeylover!

A try-a-tri is basically half the length of a true triathlon. The lengths of a try-a-tri are, Swim 375m, Bike 10km, Run 2.5km . This is for both men and women of all different ages. I'm doing my first this year up in Orillia. I am not a real athlete, but I'm having fun challenging myself. I used to exercise solely to lose weight, but now I'm doing it for a different goal. It feels great. For more info, go to www.trisportcanada.com Good luck!

Sandra and CJK, I admire anyone who enters a marathon, let alone a tri or du. My sister is a runner, has been for years. She is always training for a marathon, of some sort. She has a running partner and they train and race together. Since she lives out west, she is able to train a good part of the year. I remember one marathon she was in also involved canoeing!! I know that was difficult for her to train for.

Sandra,

Try this: Plan to go to wdw next year, but go to a different place this time.

Try Coronado Springs... I an CERTAIN that you will love the place!

Your southern neighbor,

Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter