Dark Rides/attractions and Phone lights

The CM should have asked the guest to turn the light off, however I have found that they can be lax about this kind of stuff at DL. I have seen the CM's ask this of guests at WDW more frequently.

I hate these fake, wanna-be celebrities and their cargo-short wearing, camera holding boyfriends...hahah. Your 37 followers don't care about your video!

Aren't commercial video productions not allowed at Disneyland? I feel like this could be easy to enforce...the collateral damage = non-annoying DLR trip reports that appreciated on these boards by non-obnoxious people :)

GoPro warriors abound in the Parks these days. I was in DCA on Tues and some dude, exactly as you described, that had a GoPro attached to the bill of his baseball cap and was narrating in Julius Katz & Sons while holding his iPhone on himself. 😳🙄🤣

It completely ruins the experience. I think it's a mix of people who are clueless that they are blinding people/distracting people and people who are entitled because they paid so much money they deserve to do whatever they want. I also don't understand how they can enjoy the ride/experience when they are focused on taking pictures/video instead of being immersed in the experience. Maybe we need to turn on our phone flashlights and shine it at them so that they know what they are doing. Make a big light battle - of course, I am being sarcastic.
I've actually have turned around on pirates and taken a picture of the people in the seat behind us and said annoying isn't it.

There’s a YouTube vlogger that does this on the rides at WDW “all of the time” even though she has been on the rides over and over. She screams out loud and talks during the rides and shows while she vlogs. It’s just “crazy”.

I agree with everyone.

my other pet peeve is video taping and loudly narrating or commentating throughout the ride.

When we did take our video camera (see, you already know how long ago that was, just by terminology), we took shot video of the kid doing stuff, interacting with characters, either at character breakfasts or in park. If we shot footage of ride, it was kid with Grandpa, that sort of stuff. NEVER did it even occur to me to shoot fireworks, Fantasmic, any POV of ride. Then along came social media…I honestly don’t know why people have to post their every movement in the parks as if the world just couldn’t survive if people didn’t know they just went on WS, ROTR, etc. people holding up lines while they are busy texting are simil
My kid grew up in the great scrapbooking era so he has lots of wonderful books to go through.
Now, I’ll snap a few shots on my phone of my friend and myself just to add to our collection.
I am grateful for those well done ride videos on YouTube though as that’s gotten me through these difficult times, not knowing if I’ll ever make it back to my beloved Disneyland again…

The CM should have asked the guest to turn the light off, however I have found that they can be lax about this kind of stuff at DL. I have seen the CM's ask this of guests at WDW more frequently.
This can also be a mixed bag.... if you get an 'over active' CM in attractions Tower position (control area where they watch cameras and sensors), they'll spiel over and over throughout ride causing audio and other effects to be muted. A gentle reminder is ok, and all we can do is hope the guest listens.

I wish more guests would understand what no flash photography means, you can take pics and video anytime- just turn off that super bright LED light or phone flash (on slow moving attractions, I know some you can't have devices out for safety.)

Last edited:
I definitely agree that lights on dark rides are obnoxious (and often hurt my eyes) and I think I would feel comfortable asking someone (politely) to turn their's off.

And...

I'm really troubled by (a) how many people refer to other Guests as idiots, (b) the lack of grace (I think about PP who said this happened in the Tiki Room years ago and still think about it - we all make mistakes although by this thread I'm guessing only some of us would admit that) and (c) how many people are judgmental about "being in the moment." I think I'm a decent photographer (having won a couple of little local awards) and a way that I enjoy and am present in the moment is to create art via photography. I don't see how using free time to gripe about people experiencing life differently than you do is any less rude, terrible, obnoxious or self-centered than taking a picture or video on a ride.

I agree. Terrible. Rude. Self-centered. Obnoxious. And SO typical of the way many people choose to "experience" life these days...from behind a phone staring at the screen as the attraction (or their life) passes by without a glance up to consider how their behavior may be impacting others. Put the phone DOWN! Enjoy the MOMENT.

If you want to watch a screen, go home, turn off the lights, and knock yourself out on YouTube! :happytv: for pity's sake!
LOL. How ... exactly ... do you think things are recorded and put on YouTube? Do you think there's a magical fairy that creates recorded moments ... without using equipment to record it?

LOL. How ... exactly ... do you think things are recorded and put on YouTube? Do you think there's a magical fairy that creates recorded moments ... without using equipment to record it?

but there is this place called Youtube and many of these folks have better views/equipment, and letting them do it, you can watch the show in the minute and not thru your camera.

Yes, I am aware of how Youtube works. And my comment was in reference to taking a video with the flash on the entire time during a Dark Ride Attraction, which was OP's original post. I certainly don't have any problems with people walking around taking photos/videos of whatever they want for whatever purpose - and enjoying their time in whatever way they want outside of Dark Ride Attractions. However, I agree with the OP. I do think it's terribly rude to light up a whole Dark Ride Attraction - just my opinion.

My point about Youtube was that the Haunted Mansion (as well as almost every other attraction) has been filmed and posted a gazillion times. I agree with the other quoted comment. Basically, if you want to have the attraction "preserved for all time"...you can watch a much better production of it on your TV at home and not ruin others experiences in the moment. Again...this is my opinion in reference to the OP's original post - Dark Ride Attractions.

Yes, I am aware of how Youtube works. And my comment was in reference to taking a video with the flash on the entire time during a Dark Ride Attraction, which was OP's original post.
I apologize if something in my post made you think I was referencing you. I was talking about people in general, especially, as you can see in the photo I posted, where you see 100 cameras up videoing something that could easily be found on Youtube.

I apologize if something in my post made you think I was referencing you. I was talking about people in general, especially, as you can see in the photo I posted, where you see 100 cameras up videoing something that could easily be found on Youtube.

No, I'm sorry. I was agreeing with you that Youtube is a better way of re-watching rides, especially the Dark Attractions, than trying to film them on a phone because some people really do invest a lot of money (in super fancy low-lite 4k HD cameras -totally guessing) because their video quality is amazing. I was guessing at the low-lite bit because I have ridden Dark Attractions with people filming with no lights shining that I could see, hence they were not disturbing the experience for everyone else. Just supporting your point of the availability of great videos after the fact, if you wanted one more look. :)

I really wish that Disney had a “no devices of any kind” policy on all rides. How often will these people taking videos ever actually watch them, anyway?

I have a confession…I definitely video tape my daughter’s reactions on rides. I do just hold the camera to my chest (or below eye level) though, and shoot blind.

I do make sure I don’t turn my abnormally long arms into selfie sticks, though. Screen is dimmed on indoor rides (and held close to further muffle - but if it’s that dark, you’re not really getting much of anything, anyway).

Posted first-person ride videos (YouTube) and the ones we took got us through the pandemic closure.

I don’t mind devices as long as it is tastefully done, but a good # of people don’t know how to do that/don’t care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter