"Dark Side" thoughts

jrt1176

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post...

Just back from a trip to the "dark side" the last week of May. My niece is 11 and has been to WDW twice for a week each and done just about everything. She is out of the princess-phase, but still likes the idea of WDW.

However, she wanted to go to Universal, so we decided on a short 4 day trip.

Growing up a WDW fan and frequent visitor, I wasn't expecting a lot out of the trip, but I was pretty much blown away with the hotel, restaurants and parks/rides overall.

Staying at the Portofino Bay Resort we received the passes to skip the lines and even the TP said it was an 8 or 9, we waited around 5-10 minutes for most rides while waiting 15-25 once or twice!

The food varied because most were outside restaurants and not run by one company, but almost everything was very good! The hotel was great and since Universal has a fraction of WDW's land, everything is really close by the water taxi, etc.

We aren't big Harry Potter fans, but the areas were pretty cool. Really the parks and scenery are nice all over.

I know part of it was because it was all new to me since I had only been once back when it first opened, but I guess I was not expecting that much before I left. I wasn't nearly as excited as I am for the WDW trips.

I'm not converting fully, but I was impressed and I think WDW needs to step up their game. I love the classics and hate to see some go or change...I know that has to happen somewhat, but I would also like to see new additions while the classics stay. Obviously, there is room for improvement in Future World of EPCOT and I know the Avatar Land just opened with Star Wars coming in the future.

I'll probably wait until Star Wars opens before I return, but I hope WDW continues moving forward.

It's a different trip and the vibe is different, but I have to say I was impressed. It's not as big, but you're going from ride to ride, so you're not in the parks as long.

Sorry for the ranting and run on thoughts... I'm sure I should have edited the post or proofed it, etc.

Anyway, I was curious on what some other loyal WDW fans thought.

Thanks!

I also wanted to add that even though the parks were 8 and 9's on the crowd calendar, we did not have to pre-plan anything 2 or 6 months out!

We ate where we wanted to eat and rode everything we wanted with minimal waits!

The Three Broomsticks restaurant is extremely popular with the HP crowd and the efficiency with which is run is amazing. Short line to order, receive food and then they find you a seat! No rushing to a reservation or planning around it, etc.

Planning for WDW has become part of the fun, but I don't over-plan. As a kid, we just went with the flow and maybe made reservations when we arrive for the week or that day, etc. I know it's much different now, but I loved the fact that you could just go with no plan and accomplish so much. It reminded me of the way we used to do WDW.

No magic band device was a bit of an inconvenience. I would rather have everything on the band than to have the lanyard or carry a room key, pass and photo pass, etc.

I love Universal but a lot of the advantages they have over Disney are because they are smaller and less popular. WDW is a gigantic, sprawling resort which makes them difficult to compare.

If I have only 3 days to spend at either one I would pick Universal. But anything more than that starts to get boring. I need at least 5 days at Disney to feel like I've scratched the surface.

I could do a week at UO and not be bored, but WDW I could probably do two weeks and not be bored.
My first trip with magic bands was about a month ago and I loved them... it seems like UO could do this for a fraction of the price having only half the number of parks- that would be phenomenal!
If I won the powerball, my first trip would be a month in florida- a week at UO, about 10 days at WDW and about 10 days at the beach.

I like both park companies, and don't see the need to 'convert fully' to either. Both can be enjoyed for what they are without having to choose one over the other. Disney has more parks and requires more planning, Universal is an easier trip to plan but I have done short trips to both.

I could do a week at UO and not be bored, but WDW I could probably do two weeks and not be bored.
My first trip with magic bands was about a month ago and I loved them... it seems like UO could do this for a fraction of the price having only half the number of parks- that would be phenomenal!
If I won the powerball, my first trip would be a month in florida- a week at UO, about 10 days at WDW and about 10 days at the beach.

Universal definitely needs to up their systems integration game. They can't provide a magic band like experience until they get all the different systems/vendors etc working on the same integrated system. They have some sort of process setup with Lowes but it seems to be pretty bad and not fully integrated. I feel like it's inevitable that they will have a major infrastructure upgrade similar to Disney's 2.5 years ago that will bring all the systems together and make it a much better experience for the guest. As they continue to grow and gain market share, they really don't have a choice. It's just going to become a bigger and bigger stain until they clean it up.

I agree that it's not an Apples to Apples comparison and Universal, overall, is newer as well.

WDW I couldn't do less than 4 days... I would probably have to go to each park at least once or I would feel guilty! Always going to WDW brings back the nostalgia that isn't there for me at Universal; that's going to be impossible for us older travelers who grew up on WDW.

Universal we basically did in 2 days and maybe 5-6 hours in those days! Then we did an a day at the pool with the park for a few hours that night. Day 4 was actually completely relaxing as I took my niece to the park at 8am to not wait on a HP ride when in reality we could have done it the night before! We ended up back at the resort and really relaxing!

I guess it didn't seem like a rush or like I was trying to cross everything off my list like I did the first 2 trips with my niece at WDW. When we traveled when I was younger we always took our time and did what we want at our own pace. It seems hard to do that at WDW and get almost everything done, etc. I know it's bigger, but I also feel there are the types of people out there with a list and checking rides off like it's a scavenger hunt! It was nice to stop and smell the roses!

My brother is less into the planning and was on our 2nd trip with my niece, so that sort of made me smell the roses and it was nice.

I'm not a commando type and I honestly think you get more out of the parks by sleeping in,staying later in the parks while taking your time than you can by waking up at dawn and being the first one at the gate. Maybe it was the time of year I went the past 2 trips...

I agree!

I do think that more vendors, instead of almost everything being run by one company, helps mix things up and bring more variety.

Universal definitely needs to up their systems integration game. They can't provide a magic band like experience until they get all the different systems/vendors etc working on the same integrated system. They have some sort of process setup with Lowes but it seems to be pretty bad and not fully integrated. I feel like it's inevitable that they will have a major infrastructure upgrade similar to Disney's 2.5 years ago that will bring all the systems together and make it a much better experience for the guest. As they continue to grow and gain market share, they really don't have a choice. It's just going to become a bigger and bigger stain until they clean it up.

We love both, go to both. I don't think I could combine them in one trip like I read many people do.

The 2 places have very different feels for us, Neither better than the other - just different.

Planning Disney takes a LOT of energy. Universal not so much. Once you invest in the Universal Express Pass, you don't have to plan your days like at Disney. You can just walk the park and ride whatever you like.

Well, we have come a LONG way. I remember when Universal was always looked at as the red-headed step child (no offence to the red-headed step child). It's refreshing to hear UO finally getting the respect it deserves. It truly is a wonderful place.

Planning Disney takes a LOT of energy. Universal not so much. Once you invest in the Universal Express Pass, you don't have to plan your days like at Disney. You can just walk the park and ride whatever you like.

I think this is key. If UO can manage to keep things simple in terms of planning, they will continue to cut into Disney's market share. There's something about being able to experience the parks, hotels, and restaurants without having to think 90 or 120 day out.

I am hoping they have the Tapu Tapu technology positioned to become their 'Magic Band' and are working the bugs out with a single park first.

No dole whips, but they have a little something called frozen butter beer....with or without your adult shot of choice. I like Dole Whips, but butterbeer paired with a smooth rum...:tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter