"Dark Side" thoughts

No dole whips, but they have a little something called frozen butter beer....with or without your adult shot of choice. I like Dole Whips, but butterbeer paired with a smooth rum...:tongue:

A) I can't drink and
B) I hate butterscotch.

Reactions: shh
No dole whips, but they have a little something called frozen butter beer....with or without your adult shot of choice. I like Dole Whips, but butterbeer paired with a smooth rum...:tongue:

*cough* they have adult dole whips now.

Reactions: shh

Detest butter beer & still annoyed they no longer offer vanilla in lieu of pineapple overload in the dole whips:rolleyes1

OP nice, measured thoughts:thumbsup2. We visit area often & feel the perfect trip is visiting both WDW & Universal, a ying & yang vibe.

So much hate for the butterbeer :rotfl:
Kinda how I feel about those ginormous turkey legs everyone raved about for years.

Used to solely love Disney. Now my family loves both but prefers going to Universal. We love the vibe. We love that not every ride, meal, and crap we take has to be planned. We prefer that our free, fun time being spent spontaneously. Our favorite resort in all of Orlando is Portofino Bay. We got UO annual passes for half the cost of Disney's no blockout date pass and we feel as though there is just as much to do. The Wizarding World of HP has been unmatched by any other theme park - it's pretty remarkable.
We still love Disney and give the nod to them for the whole magic thing and nighttime shows. Just right now, Universal is killing it. It's a good thing - they keep each other on their toes :)

I've never gotten the "dark side" thing. Sometimes fans of one park or the other get super protective of their favorite for reasons I've never understood. If you like Disney and hate Universal ... fine. If it's the other way around ... also fine. If you're like me and you enjoy both, then this is a great era to be around, because the competition is driving both parks to add cool things that we all get to enjoy.

I've never gotten the "dark side" thing. Sometimes fans of one park or the other get super protective of their favorite for reasons I've never understood. If you like Disney and hate Universal ... fine. If it's the other way around ... also fine. If you're like me and you enjoy both, then this is a great era to be around, because the competition is driving both parks to add cool things that we all get to enjoy.
I love both, but UO is so much easier and accessible. With EP we ride Men in Black every day over and over for hours. Our goal for December is to max out. Nothing like that at Disney.

Having grown up going to both Universal & Disney as a child / teenager they are both very near and dear to my heart. As an adult, since 2011, my husband and I have gone to FL each August and Universal is our "appetizer" we stay for 3 nights and Disney the "main course" 7 nights. Cannot imagine a trip to FL without visiting both amazing parks :) Those HP lands are like nothing I've ever seen, it's incredible & magical

I know it's not really one or the other...

And WDW will always have a special place in my heart because of all the vacations we had there when I was young.

Universal was new to me since I had not been since it first opened. I was impressed and I think there are definitely things both companies should be learning from each other to improve their own parks.

As I said, we went to WDW often when I was young, and even if we went at Xmas or Easter we took our time and relaxed. Going with my niece the 1st 2 trips to WDW, I wanted to get everything done that we could so she could see as much as possible...and we did! But, it takes a toll on you!

Universal, granted it's smaller and has less people, allows you to go at our own pace and relax if you have the express pass. We stayed on site and got the pass, but I feel it's worth the money if you stayed off site! Anyway, it was nice to do so much and not be rushing or planning for rides, meals, etc.

I would love if WDW could somehow figure out how to get back to the more relaxed ways without all the planning! I plan as little as possible and only make a couple of ADR's, but you have to get the ADR's that are hard to get 180 days out and the FP's.

Ugh..just the thought of Dole Whip turns my stomach!

Vive la difference!
Thank you! Finally someone who understands! All I ever hear is how much everyone loves Dole Whips. I think they taste like medicine. Glad to know I'm not alone!! :flower:

Has nothing to do with like/dislike. Macraven has been calling Universal "The Dark Side" for years as she has called Disney "The Mother Land". Lots of people who have frequented the Universal section of the DIS have picked up on it...not a big deal.

Has nothing to do with like/dislike. Macraven has been calling Universal "The Dark Side" for years as she has called Disney "The Mother Land". Lots of people who have frequented the Universal section of the DIS have picked up on it...not a big deal.

Yep........folks shouldn't take it so seriously.........

I quite like the name The Darkside...........sounds much more fun than elsewhere........:D

Oh ... Macraven and others might not take that term seriously, but a LOT of the more Disney-centric folks certainly do.

We love the "Darkside"!!! This will be our 2nd straight year with a stay at UO and no stay at WDW.

Motherland was the start of the wonderful theme parks

And the darkside came along as the unknown place down the street that was also a wonderful place to enjoy

About 14 years ago I mentioned on the dis that England was the motherland of our nation
Boston tea party happened and we broke away and created a new place to live freely
The Darkside was the unknown

Colonies became states

After years passed, a new nation grew

So affectionately, I started using the words the motherland and the darkside for the parks I love

Out of something great another theme park followed

It is no big deal using those two terms affectionately for theme parks
It's nothing to take seriously and fuss about

UO is a different type of vacation fun for the entire family

Many posters enjoy them both along with Busch Garden, Seaworld, etc

Nothing is worth arguing about

These are theme parks where a family can enjoy a vacation

Hotels, eateries, theme parks, shops, cinemas, live entertainment, etc

All located to provide the needs of a vacationing family

I'm from east Tennessee. Maybe I should see if I can get people to refer to Dollywood as "The Twin Peaks." Seriously, and way off topic, but Dollywood has grown up into a park much better than a little place on the side of a mountain should be. Dolly Parton is good people and I'm happy for her slice-of-homespun-fun park's success. It's a mix of really old rides and really new rides. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Dollywood is in my list when I can walk for hours again

Love the ads for it in tv!

My favorite trip is to start at Disney and go till we are about to drop and the head to Universal to slow down and rest up to get ready to head home. We get the best of both worlds. Works out perfectly

I'm from east Tennessee. Maybe I should see if I can get people to refer to Dollywood as "The Twin Peaks." Seriously, and way off topic, but Dollywood has grown up into a park much better than a little place on the side of a mountain should be. Dolly Parton is good people and I'm happy for her slice-of-homespun-fun park's success. It's a mix of really old rides and really new rides. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Cause at it's heart it will always be Silver Dollar City ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter