DAS and invisible illnesses

Madibeme

Earning My Ears
I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20 years. Last time I went to Disney I used an ECV. I am trying to avoid renting one this year as I hated having to navigate through crowds. I have had joint replacement surgery and feel like another one is looming. I am currently in a flare that I cannot get out of. Standing too long tends to aggravate my knee and ankle that are the worst at the moment. I have my fast pass plus passes booked and I spread out reservations for meals to have more sit down options during the day but I do not want to be limited in my experience and/or be stuck in a hotel because my flare got worse. Under the old program I didn't need to show anything. Should I bring my handicap permit (permanent disability tag) or get a note from my Rheumatologist when I go next week?

Thanks!

The new(ish) program -- DAS -- is different than the prior GAC. Here is a thread about it, just the first post is relevant: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

It sounds like your needs are all related to mobility and/or stamina, and those issues are not resolved with a DAS. WDW will recommend that you use a mobility device (ECV, wheelchair, rollator, etc.), which allows you to do some walking and some sitting as needed. If you have other needs, you are welcome to discuss those with a CM at Guest Relations to see what accommodations may be offered.

There is no "proof" required for the DAS; no need to bring a doctor's letter or hangtag or anything.

Enjoy your vacation!

as a fellow RA sufferer getting her first hip replacement within the next 6-8 weeks, you do not qualify for a DAS. all your issues can be solved with a mobility device and that is what they will tell you to use. they do not, cannot and will not look at any doctor notes and handicapped placards are given for too many other things that also do not qualify for a DAS.

everything you have already planned is already the best things you could be doing to minimize the flare up. talk to your Rheumatologist about a cortisone shot maybe. those do wonders for me temporarily. or get advice about upping your meds short term.

Please rethink the ECV. It's truly not that hard to navigate thru the crowds. I am really old - but even I can handle it. I'm sure you can do better.

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20 years. Last time I went to Disney I used an ECV. I am trying to avoid renting one this year as I hated having to navigate through crowds. I have had joint replacement surgery and feel like another one is looming. I am currently in a flare that I cannot get out of. Standing too long tends to aggravate my knee and ankle that are the worst at the moment. I have my fast pass plus passes booked and I spread out reservations for meals to have more sit down options during the day but I do not want to be limited in my experience and/or be stuck in a hotel because my flare got worse. Under the old program I didn't need to show anything. Should I bring my handicap permit (permanent disability tag) or get a note from my Rheumatologist when I go next week?

Thanks!

But what are you going to do about the standing at the bus stop, or waiting for the tram, monorail, boat, parade? You also don't have to stand still in the queue. We've never been in one spot more than 2-3 minutes, and there's always a way to move about.

I'm thinking with or without a DAS you are going to need that ECV. It will make your trip much better. Plus, it sounds like your description of your needs warrants a mobility device, not a DAS.

As other have said your disability is really mobile, stamina and they will tell you to use a ECV/ wheel chair or roller

if you do not want to rent an ECV maybe try a roller this will allow you to sit when need be and it should be easer to go thought the parks

On the plus side to renting an ECV you can always take it with your to the parks then park it and walk however much you feel like walking. The ECV is then there if you need it- or just need it for a bit or what not plus you can use it to get back and forth to the parks. I have osteoarthritis in both knees very badly (both need replacing) and some days are better than others. I rent an ECV and use it as needed but I always take it to the parks with me. It's very easy to find a space, like in the stroller parking areas, to park and go on walking if you'd like.

It's possible they may give you one but as others have stated it is less likely as their first port of call will be to tell you to use an ECV. If you are worried about the ECV size, then rent one of the 3 wheeled small scooters that have a really small footprint, easy to navigate through crowds, give somewhere to rest your weary bones, and also will gain you access to the disabled entry line. Having the choice of using it when you need as well as being a little more independent may be a good compromise.

I would also champion a cortisone shot in the affected area and asked for a tapered increased dose of prednisone during your stay. Using all of the above or any combination for that matter should give you a good chance of success in the parks!

I am worried about the buses. Is it easy to get on the buses if I did rent one?

I am going to try to get a shot Monday so it will kick in before we get there.

Thank you all. I usually stick with cruising but we are doing Disney for the first time in 11 years.

Buses are relatively simple, you will have a separate spot to wait in, near to the front so the driver can help you get on. Parking the ECV can sometimes be a little tricky, but its not particularly difficult especially if you have one of the smaller ones etc... I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you can drive one you can park one ;o)

Good news on the shot, that should do you the world of good and help alleviate any major pain / stiffness. While there I would also ask about an increased prednisone tapered dose if you do indeed take any.

Good luck!

Thank you all. I usually stick with cruising but we are doing Disney for the first time in 11 years.

yup. first on, last off though. rarely will there be too many PMDs and not enough space on the bus that shows up. when there is, they will send another one right away.

for the busses take a few minutes and piratic driving the ECV at the resorts, see how it goes stops and turns ( I do not normally drive and ECV my friend does and she said that each ECV is a little different and would do this before she got her own.

as fair as the buss goes you are the first one on and last ones off. For the most part bus drivers can not drive your ECV on the buss for you but they will help you by telling you turn this way.. move up a little.. Thing like this. you can do two things to help one turn your ECV as slow as it will go, take your time, ( Ok 3 things) and when you are at the hotel taking the 5 minutes too see how the ECV your rented works take a minute to parallel park.
It is really not that hard ( I have done it with my friends ECV a few times and I have a vision problem)

I really hope you do rent ECV ( or what ever mobility device you chose) so that your vacation can be the bast that it can be. as @mamabunny would say think of the ECV as a tool like some people need glasses to see, some a calculator to do math. This is just a tool for you to enjoy Disney nothing more nothing less, so go have fun and make sure you wave like the princess you are.

While my dad (who's in his late 60s) has not been diagnosed with RA he does have arthritis in his joints from 30+ years of working as a UPS driver. He refuses to have an ECV and walks with a cane when our travel destinations involve sizable amounts of walking (WDW, DLR, the local zoo). Standing in long lines doesn't work for him so if it's a long line that we don't have a fp for he will often sit it out. There have been some wonderful CMs over the years who have noticed him/us in line and have switched us to the disability or fp line a a courtesy. While not guaranteed it is appreciated!

While my dad (who's in his late 60s) has not been diagnosed with RA he does have arthritis in his joints from 30+ years of working as a UPS driver. He refuses to have an ECV and walks with a cane when our travel destinations involve sizable amounts of walking (WDW, DLR, the local zoo). Standing in long lines doesn't work for him so if it's a long line that we don't have a fp for he will often sit it out. There have been some wonderful CMs over the years who have noticed him/us in line and have switched us to the disability or fp line a a courtesy. While not guaranteed it is appreciated!

Definitely not something to depend on though. Have you had the talk with him? Does he not use any other tools in his life? Does he hit nails with his hands, never use a car, reading glasses? If he's willing to use a cane, I bet he'd rent an ECV if he knew how important it was for you to be together. Ask him why he won't - and go from there. I had a stubborn dad too. He missed out on a lot of stuff.

Definitely not something to depend on though. Have you had the talk with him? Does he not use any other tools in his life? Does he hit nails with his hands, never use a car, reading glasses? If he's willing to use a cane, I bet he'd rent an ECV if he knew how important it was for you to be together. Ask him why he won't - and go from there. I had a stubborn dad too. He missed out on a lot of stuff.

He's as stubborn as they come. Glasses, cane, hard of hearing, etc. But he refuses to use an ECV. Rather sit things out of deal with it in line. Which is what we do. That's why I mentioned we appreciate it when CMs pull us out of the regular line and into the other. We do not expect it the treatment. We also respect his wishes about not using an ECV. It is what it is. This is also why we plan our days for morning attendance knowing that afternoons will be for him to rest and his evening participation is dependent on how he feels.

He's as stubborn as they come. Glasses, cane, hard of hearing, etc. But he refuses to use an ECV. Rather sit things out of deal with it in line. Which is what we do. That's why I mentioned we appreciate it when CMs pull us out of the regular line and into the other. We do not expect it the treatment. We also respect his wishes about not using an ECV. It is what it is. This is also why we plan our days for morning attendance knowing that afternoons will be for him to rest and his evening participation is dependent on how he feels.
Have you talked to him about a roller or wheel chair?

I do know what you mean about people being stubborn at lest it sound like you have a good touring plan so that you can use your time the best that you can.

May times, but he refuses. So we honor his requests for now. He does know that if any any point he wishes to switch to an ECV or another device that we will accommodate it.

May times, but he refuses. So we honor his requests for now. He does know that if any any point he wishes to switch to an ECV or another device that we will accommodate it.

Does he have grandkids? They are the best at persuading grumpy old farts to do things, IMO. :) Of course he can do what he wants, but it makes me sad thinking of all the stuff my dad missed out on, with me and with his grandkids. But he had more anxiety/mental/social issues than physical ones (although he had those too!) although I bet he would have had a blast zipping around in an ECV decked out all 'Grumpy'styled. But we wouldn't have let him have a horn - he would have honked it constantly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter