DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

It’s pretty insulting to say that people with a disability might just want DAS and not need it. My husband needs it. But under the new guidelines, he won’t get it.

Same. We've always gone to Disney AND promoted/hyped up DIsney to people because it was a vacation destination where anyone could feel "safe" and "taken care of". My wife could feel that despite her health issues, she could still not only go, have fun, but do it with her family. These changes will likely take that away from her, so I'm not sure what we'll be doing from here...

I love this one:
  • Encourage other members of your party to help create space around you in line to make it more comfortable.
So when CMs ask everyone to move forward and to not leave any space between you and the next guest, how will this work?
Most of this occurs in/near pre shows where DAS users still have to wait anyway (RnRC and Haunted Mansion especially)

Right, but it effectively stacks a little because after you scan in, you often have another 10-15 minutes in line, plus the length of the attraction. So for the first 15-20 minutes you effectively have two DAS bookings.
Thats not really "stacking" though. I'm not sure what to call it, but stacking is like with genie+, where you can have multiple LL reserved & use them back to back.

I just want to make sure we aren't putting out incorrect information and people then run with it, thinking DAS users are out here hoarding multiple LL spots at once.

Thank you for this comment. I experienced this twice with my DD at DLR. First, at Soarin' in DCA and a second time at Space Mountain in DL. Both had posted 45 minute or more waits. I told my DD let's DAS the ride and we will sit down and get a water and a snack and wait.

On both occasions we walked by the queue to find a cart or stand, and I asked the CM if the wait was that long because the queue didn't look that long and we had a DAS for later, and on those two occasions the CM at the front said that the wait time was incorrect and that we should just go ahead and use the standby because it would take less than 30 minutes. In fact, it took less than 30 minutes each time, so had I not inquired when we walked by we would've waited longer with the DAS. I just told my kid to cancel the DAS and let's just wait the 30 minutes or less.

When we were at DL, the CM at Haunted Mansion actually directed us to standby because the physical LL line was wayyyy longer than the physical standby line. Even with 4/1 ratio or whatever they use, the CM told us to get on the standby line. This blew my mind as we paid for and were using Genie+ lol.

The problem is Disney wants to sell G+ but it is not necessarily better than park touring without. This happened a few days to us now… the last time was AK. We bought G+ and using it made our day absolutely worse than if we went about our day normally just using standby. Something is broken if you get kneecapped because you paid for an upcharge service.

Right, but it effectively stacks a little because after you scan in, you often have another 10-15 minutes in line, plus the length of the attraction. So for the first 15-20 minutes you effectively have two DAS bookings.
Somewhere I read they were adding a 10 minute delay after redeeming a return time before you can make another. If true, that is a VERY welcome change.

It seems to me that Disney just thinks demand is high enough for their parks that they can afford to make them unwelcoming to people who aren’t able to experience the attractions without accommodations.

There is absolutely no way that the ability to leave a line and come back will be anything short of a disaster. It will just result in people not bothering to get in line at all. And then they’ll look at the lack of usage of this offering and view it as proof that nobody really needed it in the first place.

Thats not really "stacking" though. I'm not sure what to call it, but stacking is like with genie+, where you can have multiple LL reserved & use them back to back.

I just want to make sure we aren't putting out incorrect information and people then run with it, thinking DAS users are out here hoarding multiple LL spots at once.

Sure, I agree. We've been grateful recipients of DAS in the past, future uncertain. But I can still recognize the current features of DAS that feel overly advantageous, such as the 2 pre selections (going away) and the ability to book the next DAS while still waiting/riding the current DAS. I don't have any problems with modifications to make that more fair, such as the new 10 minute delay for new bookings. I'm not sure what can be realistically done about riding standby while waiting in a virtual DAS line.

Right, I know - poor word choice for me, I meant what you said. And now you can't immediately do that anymore - you will need to wait 10 mins after scanning in.
It would be better if they would vary the delay by ride. For rides that take longer to go through due to preshows (Rise, Avatar, Guardians) the delay should be more like 20-30 minutes.

Agreed. I've never not had a significant wait in between DAS attractions. It's never worked for me that I'm done with one ride and then strolling right into the next. More often than not, it's 60-90 min - which is completely fine and usually needed. I'm sure that's largely based on when we've chosen to travel but have never considered it to be 'stacking.'

Sure, I agree. We've been grateful recipients of DAS in the past, future uncertain. But I can still recognize the current features of DAS that feel overly advantageous, such as the 2 pre selections (going away) and the ability to book the next DAS while still waiting/riding the current DAS. I don't have any problems with modifications to make that more fair, such as the new 10 minute delay for new bookings. I'm not sure what can be realistically done about riding standby while waiting in a virtual DAS line.

For sure, I'm all for "making it more fair", we don't need advance reservations or things like that ( nice as it is, I get it ). And for us, we've always seen it as being able to wait the same time as everyone else, but just not *IN* line as opposed to "front of the line" access which many people think is what we get. I'm just disappointed that she'll be excluded completely with these rules.

I agree. Rides queues need to be enhanced with more interactive elements like Winnie the Pooh, although adults crowded that line during runDisney and our 4 year old did the sudden sprint and it was extremely difficult to tell people that I had a runner and to make way. Our teenager held our spot but we ended up exiting after 35 mins (posted wait; should have booked DAS in hindsight) and we got close to the gift shop (actual wait was 45-50). CMs were making announcements to keep the party together in that line so adults were getting antsy.

It’s pretty insulting to say that people with a disability might just want DAS and not need it. My husband needs it. But under the new guidelines, he won’t get it.
Apologies, but I think you misunderstood a bit. I was primarily referencing people PRETENDING to have disabilities because they WANTED the benefits that DAS comes with. Those are the abusers that Disney and others want to cut out of the equation.

But, there are many different disabilities. Disney seems to be trying to separate ones that they think can wait in line (either with or without using their own devices, leaving the line with a return pass, etc.) vs those that absolutely cannot wait in line and will still NEED some sort of new DAS system. I hope that clears it up a bit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter