DAS changes starting June 18

I don't see this going over well... can be viewed in many different ways. I think some people abuse it but how can they restrict it for all that really need it.
As a teacher, I know many with autism that have no issues in crowds (Also some that can't). I also know individuals with Crohns disease and have passed out because of panic attacks from the idea being stuck in an area. You don't want to be the person trying to push through lines to run to the bathroom.
I am almost wondering if they are going to say it will be more strict but maybe still let some cases through.

I know they can't/don't ask for any medical proof but to me if you really want DAS why can't you share proof if you are already saying what it the issue?

I don't think most DAS users would have any issue with just getting a return time that is consistent with how long they would wait in line. It's the waiting in line (and even leaving and coming back under the new system) that simply won't work for many types of disabilities.
That's why I think they should changing the system first over this.

Once again Disney makes buckets on genie Plus and think its a way to push people who can't wait in lines to pay for it and after standing in line for 45 mins for Hyper Space mountain with Genie Plus...that service also needs to be reworked

I don't see this going over well... can be viewed in many different ways. I think some people abuse it but how can they restrict it for all that really need it.
As a teacher, I know many with autism that have no issues in crowds (Also some that can't). I also know individuals with Crohns disease and have passed out because of panic attacks from the idea being stuck in an area. You don't want to be the person trying to push through lines to run to the bathroom.
I am almost wondering if they are going to say it will be more strict but maybe still let some cases through.

I know they can't/don't ask for any medical proof but to me if you really want DAS why can't you share proof if you are already saying what it the issue?

That's what I am hoping too - that they are saying they are going to be strict to scare away abusers, while being practical for those who really need it.

It's part of my frustration with autistic disability getting special treatment. The two families I know with autistic kids have told me their kids can wait in line, but just view it as a perk they get when going to Disneyland. It's hard to know those families will still get access, when others who really need it will be told "you can just leave the line." And that's not to say some autistic kids don't and shouldn't get it - they absolutely should when needed for access to the park.

As someone with a disabled daughter, I wish the law would be changed and medical certification could be required for public accomodation. It's already allowed in the workplace. The cert doesn't even need to say what the disability is. It just needs to say what the person's limitations are. It is information that already needs to be disclosed to get an accommodation, but just limits abuse. I would gladly get certification for her, since limiting abuse, actually helps her and others. (The same goes for requiring certification for real service animals).

In my situation, I am resigned to the fact that I will purchase Genie+ for my daughter every time we go. And we will make it work for the non-Genie+ rides. But I have deep sympathy for people in situations where that won't be a viable solution.

As someone with a disabled daughter, I wish the law would be changed and medical certification could be required for public accomodation. It's already allowed in the workplace. The cert doesn't even need to say what the disability is. It just needs to say what the person's limitations are. It is information that already needs to be disclosed to get an accommodation, but just limits abuse. I would gladly get certification for her, since limiting abuse, actually helps her and others. (The same goes for requiring certification for real service animals).

I think most people with genuine disabilities would have no problem submitting some sort of proof. It's really the fakers that wouldn't. And like you said, this can be done without having to specify an exact diagnosis.

It's just a little baffling to me. Disney Parks have generally been one of the best at handling accommodations for disabled guests (IMO), so for them to implement this and not think about all of the people that they may be alienating is truly disappointing.

Well, I guess this eliminates the DAS for my daughter with epilepsy. She really struggles at the parks when the temperatures go above 80. There are many queues she simply cannot wait in if the sun is out. This return line thing doesn’t sound like a solution to me. Will we be expected to wait in line until she can’t do it any longer then on the way out, explain to a CM why we are leaving to be able to utilize the return line?

Wonder if Disney will grandfather in people with a disability that already have a stay booked. I'm checking into Disneyworld on June 1st and should be able to get a DAS on May 2nd (30 days). The ADA may have to sue Disney to include all disabled people. You can't discriminate against some disabilities and allow autism. Disney just stepped on a landmine!! Class actions will be brought by the masses and turn away alot of people whom would have visited their parks.

I think most people with genuine disabilities would have no problem submitting some sort of proof. It's really the fakers that wouldn't. And like you said, this can be done without having to specify an exact diagnosis.

It's just a little baffling to me. Disney Parks have generally been one of the best at handling accommodations for disabled guests (IMO), so for them to implement this and not think about all of the people that they may be alienating is truly disappointing.
I agree. I think those that get defensive about proof don't have it.

That's what I am hoping too - that they are saying they are going to be strict to scare away abusers, while being practical for those who really need it.

It's part of my frustration with autistic disability getting special treatment. The two families I know with autistic kids have told me their kids can wait in line, but just view it as a perk they get when going to Disneyland. It's hard to know those families will still get access, when others who really need it will be told "you can just leave the line." And that's not to say some autistic kids don't and shouldn't get it - they absolutely should when needed for access to the park.

A cert would work or even if you sat down with Disney once an said here is what is going on and why I need DAS, prove it to them and them issue you a DAS ID that doesn't expire (unless it is something temporary). Never understand why they make people register every trip. Seems like a waste.

The ADA may have to sue Disney to include all disabled people.
The ADA is a federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act), not an agency. It's enforced by the Department of Justice, but it would be rare for DoJ to get involved in a dispute over a company's adherence to the ADA. However, I'm sure there are plenty of law firms out there who would jump at the chance to file a class-action suit against TWDC.

The ADA is a federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act), not an agency. It's enforced by the Department of Justice, but it would be rare for DoJ to get involved in a dispute over a company's adherence to the ADA. However, I'm sure there are plenty of law firms out there who would jump at the chance to file a class-action suit against TWDC.
I agree. I don't this the DoJ would really have enough because they still accommodate just in different ways but I do think this will cause an uproar and possible class-action to shake them down a little.

Doesn't Universal have something where you submit paper work and you get some kind of card? I thought I read about that at some point. If they can do it, why can't Disney?

I feel like if Disney is making major changes, they would most definitely consult with their lawyers no?

Well, I guess this eliminates the DAS for my daughter with epilepsy. She really struggles at the parks when the temperatures go above 80. There are many queues she simply cannot wait in if the sun is out. This return line thing doesn’t sound like a solution to me. Will we be expected to wait in line until she can’t do it any longer then on the way out, explain to a CM why we are leaving to be able to utilize the return line?
I'm calling to ask for more details

I'll try to remember this and ask if its covered. The Website stays "or" as in more then just Autism.

DAS is intended to accommodate only those Guests who, due to a developmental disability such as autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Also inclduing this email, for anyone with more questions as well and don't want to post conditions on the forums.

disability.services@disneyparks.com

I'd personally love to see what Disney will qualify as a disability that requires a DAS... If anybody gets an answer please post!

Disney is required to make reasonable accommodation. That's the law. This is Disney saying that DAS is no longer a reasonable accommodation for things other than what they approve. They will provide an alternative, which I'm sure their lawyers know all about, and as long as it's seen as "reasonable" it will be justified.

Disney isn't helping their positive PR... Im sure people will sue and the outcome will have to be decided. It's sad that Disney's decisions are short sighted and only revolve around their ability to maximize revenue.

Disney isn't helping their positive PR... Im sure people will sue and the outcome will have to be decided. It's sad that Disney's decisions are short sighted and only revolve around their ability to maximize revenue.
Depends on where you are.....Disneyland Reddit is exited for these changes

This is exactly the type of disability this new policy isn't being realistic about. Why is autism being elevated as somehow needing a DAS above all else? It honestly feels like Disney is scared to face the backlash from the autistic community, but less scared of those in other disability groups. It smells of dividing those with disabilities, instead of recognizing each disability is different and should be individually assessed. After all, I don't see why it would be any more mean to tell an autistic kid to stand in line and "just leave if necessary" as to tell someone with crohns that it's too bad they may not be able to leave a line in time to make it to the restroom. Both individuals need a better accommodation than that.
This was my thought too.

Last I checked, Disney is a business with shareholders. So of course their decisions are to maximize revenue, thats the whole point of business, make money and profit. Disney are not a charity or not for profit organization.

There is plenty of caselaw saying that publicly owned businesses can make choices that don't directly maximize profit, for example, donating to the community. They can also do things to build goodwill that costs money or decreases revenue. Nothing prevents Disney from forgoing a little extra Genie+ revenue to better serve the disabled community.

Furthermore, the ADA does not allow a business to maximize profit in place of providing reasonable accommodations. It's yet to be seen whether this new program will violate the ADA, but it appears that it would if administered exactly as stated.

Doesn't Universal have something where you submit paper work and you get some kind of card? I thought I read about that at some point. If they can do it, why can't Disney?

I feel like if Disney is making major changes, they would most definitely consult with their lawyers no?

Yes, Universal uses IBCCES Individual Accessibility Card which is through a third party where paperwork is required. When I read the title of this thread I thought the topic would be that Disney is switching to this third party method. Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor use this vendor as well. Oh, this is going to be an absolute mess. Just farm this responsibility out already Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter