DAS changes starting June 18

This is really scary for how this could look for my husband. He’s on of the ones that does use DAS for a physical disability. And gets approved everytime

He is a double leg amputee and walks on prosthetics. Walking is good, standing in one spot is bad. A wheelchair or scooter are NOT an option for him as being confined to either causes anxiety and PTSD from when we lost his legs and COULDN’T walk.
wait thats crazy...he's the PERFECT person for DAS!

Doesn't Universal have something where you submit paper work and you get some kind of card? I thought I read about that at some point. If they can do it, why can't Disney?

I feel like if Disney is making major changes, they would most definitely consult with their lawyers no?

I've heard that company has a lawsuit pending against them. At least, that's what someone in another thread said.

Disney had to do something. It's ridiculous how many people abuse the DAS system.
I'm glad they flushed out the 3rd party "travel guides" and people now have to actually pay for a Plaid if they want that level of access.

DAS will be going through many changes as the months roll by. This is the first major attempt to control it. We're already seeing the thousands of posts on multiple IG/TT/FB pages about every dreadful disease/issue that should qualify and how they can't go to the park anymore.

I think it'll take several iterations before they get it right. Disney NEVER gets it right the first time, with anything.
I am glad they are addressing the huge issue though.
Hang on to your churros, it's gonna be a rough ride.

June 18th is our first day in the parks for our trip this year. Here's hoping my son still qualifies since he does have a DD. But I'll be curious to see how this changes over the next few months as they hear feedback.

The mention of 3rd party "travel guides" above...I've never heard of that. What was it and how did they get rid of it??

The mention of 3rd party "travel guides" above...I've never heard of that. What was it and how did they get rid of it??
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/12/11/disney-world-third-party-tours-banned/

Disney World abruptly starts banning third-party tour guides​

Disney said in an emailed statement that it is taking additional steps to enforce its rules that prohibit commercial activities, such as tours provided by third-party operators, because of a “significant increase in these rule violations.” It said some operators have sold unauthorized Disney services, including in-park offerings such as Genie Plus line-cutting services, the Disability Access Service, and the park’s dining and lodging reservations.

One interesting change is that all in person DAS requests are moving to the esplanade (likely old ticket booths) and will no longer be handled at DL or DCA guest services. Reading the description about this in detail, people are encouraged to request in advance (so they don't need to wait at all) but can go to guest services on the day of visit if desired (WDW will have no in person option at all).

Hopefully, this results in faster service times for both DAS users and guests needing help with other matters. I know the lines at City Hall and Chamber of Commerce often get very long with so many people needing various matters handled.

That's what I am hoping too - that they are saying they are going to be strict to scare away abusers, while being practical for those who really need it.

It's part of my frustration with autistic disability getting special treatment. The two families I know with autistic kids have told me their kids can wait in line, but just view it as a perk they get when going to Disneyland. It's hard to know those families will still get access, when others who really need it will be told "you can just leave the line." And that's not to say some autistic kids don't and shouldn't get it - they absolutely should when needed for access to the park.

As someone with a disabled daughter, I wish the law would be changed and medical certification could be required for public accomodation. It's already allowed in the workplace. The cert doesn't even need to say what the disability is. It just needs to say what the person's limitations are. It is information that already needs to be disclosed to get an accommodation, but just limits abuse. I would gladly get certification for her, since limiting abuse, actually helps her and others. (The same goes for requiring certification for real service animals).
I agree with this about autism, which is why they tried to veer away from diagnosis. I was mentioning in some other groups today that on a good day my kids can do an handful of attractions with DAS. We’d go for lunch and 2 rides if not. Which, if they did away with DAS we probably would, just not for as many days. But these families that are getting genie+ & DAS and riding 20 things in a day don’t come across as disabled to me.

This is going to be an ADA nightmare.
While I have little faith in today's Disney when it comes to many things, lawyering up is not one of them.

This is not the first (or second, or third....) time Disney has made major changes to this program. And each time they do, the Chicken Little's come out to say Disney is violating their rights and will be in violation of the ADA.

And then it all works out, maybe with a few extra tweaks, maybe with none.

No reason to think this will be any different.

This is going to be an ADA nightmare.
Agreed. Total nightmare. Expect lawsuits and people complaining all over. I just do not know what Disney is thinking actually. This sounds like a punishment for people who really need DAS and a subtle push for people to pay for Genie +.
I actually think the proposed changes will not be what actually ends up happening. We shall see.

Agreed. Total nightmare. Expect lawsuits and people complaining all over. I just do not know what Disney is thinking actually. This sounds like a punishment for people who really need DAS and a subtle push for people to pay for Genie +.
I actually think the proposed changes will not be what actually ends up happening. We shall see.
Same thing happened about 11 years ago when DAS replaced the old program. Lot of squacking and yes, some lawsuits (which to date have failed).

DAS remains.

I'm sure there will be complaints and maybe some lawsuits. But unless Disney's cost-cutting has depleted it's legal department, I am reasonably sure they are on good footing.

Sure, worst case is they screw it up and revert back. But that is not how it has gone in the past. Quite the opposite when it comes to GAC, DAS, ADA, etc. So I wouldn't bank on it.

Of course getting the details is always a good idea before claiming the sky is falling. But I know that's unpopular.

Same thing happened about 11 years ago when DAS replaced the old program. Lot of squacking and yes, some lawsuits (which to date have failed).

DAS remains.

I'm sure there will be complaints and maybe some lawsuits. But unless Disney's cost-cutting has depleted it's legal department, I am reasonably sure they are on good footing.

Sure, worst case is they screw it up and revert back. But that is not how it has gone in the past. Quite the opposite when it comes to GAC, DAS, ADA, etc. So I wouldn't bank on it.

Of course getting the details is always a good idea before claiming the sky is falling. But I know that's unpopular.
It seems the details are already posted.
Autism and developmental disabilities only. There is no mention of other disabilties.

What to Know About DAS
  • DAS is intended to accommodate a small percentage of Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period or time.
  • DAS doesn’t provide immediate access to experiences, but rather allows Guests to request a return time for a specific experience that is comparable to the current standby wait.
  • The Guest who is requesting to use DAS must be present during registration and when redeeming a DAS return time.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/

If you don't qualify for DAS:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/accessing-attractions/

Accessing Attraction Queues​

Guest Service
Learn more about how Guests with mental or physical impairments can access attractions queues while in the theme parks.

The Disneyland Resort offers a variety of programs that assist Guests in accessing attraction queues. Some of the programs listed below are available to all Guests and help maximize the time spent in the parks.
Some of the programs described below provide accommodations that may be required for specific types of mental or physical impairments. Guests with disabilities can learn more about these programs, including how they operate and whether they may be eligible, through a personalized conversation with Accessibility Services.
Some of these options are available only at select attractions. We encourage all Guests to be familiar with the programs described below because they may provide valuable assistance in navigating attraction queues.
Here are a few tips and techniques to manage waiting in queues:
  • Encourage other members of your party to help create space around you in line to make it more comfortable.
  • In a theme park environment that requires additional walking or standing, bring additional support tools like a mobility device such as a wheelchair, ECV, walker with a seat or a cane chair.
  • Bring a sensory toy or a calming item—such as a stress ball, favorite device or activity like a tablet, video game, comic book or another item that may be calming or distracting while waiting in a queue.
  • Grab a snack or drink to enjoy while waiting in a queue. Just be sure to finish it before boarding the attraction.
  • Break up your day with other offerings at the Resort that don’t require waiting in a queue, such as enjoying entertainment.
  • Don’t forget other items to keep yourself comfortable. Some items to consider include a sweater or jacket, sun protection or hat.
Below is a list of programs that provide specific types of accommodations that Guests with disabilities may be eligible for, although some are available only at select attractions. For more information about how these programs operate and whether you may be eligible for them, we encourage you to have a personalized conversation with an Accessibility Services Associate.
Rider Switch
Single Rider
Disney Genie Service
Location Return Time
Disability Access Service
Stroller as a Wheelchair Tag
Navigating Queues with Service Animals

Rider Switch​

Rider switch is a program available to all Guests. With Rider Switch, Guests can wait with member(s) of their party who aren’t riding due to any of the reasons listed below. Once the first Guest returns the waiting Guest can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!
Rider Switch is available for Guests who meet one of the following:
  • Does not meet the boarding requirements
  • Has a service animal that cannot board the attraction or does not want to use a provided kennel
  • Meets boarding requirement and does not want to ride but cannot wait outside queue on their own
Rider Switch is available at all attractions in Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park.
How to Use Rider Switch
  1. Upon arriving at the selected attraction, approach the greeting Cast Member with your entire group and inform them you are interested in the Rider Switch option. Members will be divided into 2 parties: “Party 1” will board the attraction first, while “Party 2”—a maximum of 2 people from the rest of your party—waits.
  2. A Cast Member will scan the admission media or tickets of Guests in Party 2.
  3. After Party 1 completes the experience, any Guests from Party 2 who have waited to ride should return to the appropriate attraction entrance as directed by the issuing Cast Member to have their admission media/tickets re-scanned by a Cast Member for the Rider Switch entitlement. At this point, the riding Guests of Party 2 may enter the appropriate attraction return line and board without waiting in the regular queue. Meanwhile, Party 1 waits with the non-riding Guests.
Review a complete list of Disneyland Resort Attractions offering Rider Switch.

Single Rider​

Single Rider is a program available to all Guests. Single Rider queues are often shorter than the standby queue and contain fewer sensory elements than the standby queue. Single Rider is a service that allows groups to split up and experience attractions individually. Keep in mind, you will likely not ride the attraction with a member of your party, but enjoy the attraction with other Guests with a shorter wait.
Single Rider is available for a Guest who meets one of the following:
  • Visiting the park on their own
  • Prioritizing shorter wait times rather than riding with their party
Review a complete list of Disneyland Resort Attractions offering Single Rider.
How to Use Single Rider
A Cast Member can direct you to the designated queue, where your party will be separated to fill remaining seats that aren’t occupied by Guests utilizing stand by lines. Please note:
  • Immediate boarding or choice of seat is not guaranteed
  • Single Riders must meet all boarding requirements
  • Special seating requests may not be accommodated
  • Participating attractions and wait times may vary
  • This service is subject to availability, and not available at every attraction

Disney Genie Service​

Disney Genie Service is a program available to all Guests.
Our complimentary Disney Genie service creates your best Disney day inspired by your top interests. It also grants you planning features, including a personalized itinerary creator. It will save you time by seamlessly mapping out your day, with updates that continue from morning to night—just like a favorite navigation app. You’ll receive attraction and dining recommendations inspired by what you told Disney Genie service you’re most interested in doing and seeing.
The “My Day” tab is where you’ll find Disney Genie recommendations and plans you’ve made, including dining reservations and Disneyland Resort hotel reservations. It will begin populating at 7:00 AM on the day of your visit.
The “Tip Board” lets you view estimated wait times, order food, make dining reservations and request to join an available virtual queue.
Genie+ Service and Individual Lightening Lanes are available for purchase to enhance the complimentary tools.
Learn More

Location Return Time​

A Location Return Time may be issued at select Disneyland Park attractions. This program is intended to accommodate persons with mobility devices or other physical restrictions who are unable to negotiate some of our older queues which may not be wheelchair accessible.

Location Return Times may be available for Guests who:
  • Utilize a mobility device such as a wheelchair or ECV
  • Are unable to navigate stairs, steep ramps, turnstiles or low lighting
  • Require assistance navigating narrow walkways with a sighted guide or a service animal
How to Use Location Return Times
Speak to a Cast Member at the attraction
  1. A Cast Member will assist in assigning a return time that is comparable to the current standby wait
  2. A Cast Member provides directions on where to return to
  3. Guest returns at the designated time to the auxiliary entry location
Location Return Times are not offered in Disney California Adventure Park. The following experiences in Disneyland Park offer Location Return Times:

Disability Access Service (DAS)​

Disability Access Service (DAS) is one of our programs offered at the Disneyland Resort theme parks intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.
There are 2 ways for Guests to have a conversation with a Cast Member to determine eligibility for DAS––live video chat or in-person at an Accessibility Services window during a park visit.
Please Note: Guests visiting from April 9 through June 17, 2024 will continue to visit Guest Relations locations for any accessibility-related conversations and tools.
Learn More

“Stroller as a Wheelchair” Tag​

A “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag is for Guests with disabilities who use their stroller as a mobility device. This tool allows a Guest to treat their stroller as a wheelchair and keep their device with them in attraction queues.
“Stroller as a Wheelchair” tags are available for a Guest who meets one of the following:
  • Is a child with a disability who uses their stroller as a mobility device in lieu of a traditional wheelchair
  • Is a child with additional medical equipment who needs a safe way to transport their equipment while in a queue
  • Is an adult with a mobility disability who uses a stroller as a mobility device to assist with walking
How to Use “Stroller as a Wheelchair” Tag
  1. Please visit Accessibility Services for a personalized conversation about this tool. If appropriate, a “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag may be issued.
  2. Guests who are issued a “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag may enter the queue with their stroller. Select attraction queues may require the use of a Location Return Times.

Navigating Queues with Service Animals​

Service Animals are welcome in all attraction queues.
Location Return Times may be available at select attractions if the Guest cannot navigate narrow walkways with their service animal.
Due to the nature of some attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride. Please ask a Cast Member at these locations about available options.
Learn More About Services for Guests with Service Animals

One interesting change is that all in person DAS requests are moving to the esplanade (likely old ticket booths) and will no longer be handled at DL or DCA guest services. Reading the description about this in detail, people are encouraged to request in advance (so they don't need to wait at all) but can go to guest services on the day of visit if desired (WDW will have no in person option at all).

Hopefully, this results in faster service times for both DAS users and guests needing help with other matters. I know the lines at City Hall and Chamber of Commerce often get very long with so many people needing various matters handled.
People have noted on other threads that DAS requests can also currently be made at any of the Guest Relations kiosks in the park, not just at those two main locations. So the entire in-person DAS process is moving to the Esplanade?

People have noted on other threads that DAS requests can also currently be made at any of the Guest Relations kiosks in the park, not just at those two main locations. So the entire in-person DAS process is moving to the Esplanade?
Yes on June 18 at the Esplanade only. The other guest relations kiosks will be open to get DAS return time tickets for attractions if you do not do it on the App.

DAS remains.

As pointed out, Disney has posted enough details for people to have genuine concerns. Disney expressly said DAS is for developmental disabilities only. If a multibillion dollar corporation doesn't mean that, then it's its own failt not putting proper resources into their communications and being more thoughtful and clear before touching such a sensitive subject.

Don't fault people for standing up for their rights, or loved one's rights, to reasonable access to public spaces. Life is extra hard for many people without corporations putting more obstacles in the way, which are poorly designed and will almost certainly weed out people's access who really need it, while just changing the particular lies told by cheaters who don't.

Last edited:
Wonder if you can sign up for a DAS before their new rules go into place but your check in date is after the change.... Gray area that isn't addressed unless I'm missing it.

Have you met this group? o_Oo_Oo_O
It is generally quiet in this thread. The thread on the disability board exploded and is now closed.

We do not have enough information. We do not know how broad the interpretation of "developmental disorders" will be. Depending on interpretation, it can still include anxiety and PTSD.

We also do not know if there are other conditions that will qualify.

It might be good that there is a trained health care professional in between now instead of a regular CM. They probably have a better understanding what difficulties might arise with certain conditions and think along with solutions. Especially with those who now fall between definitions.

No matter what or how Disney had communicated this, there would always be details missing. People who struggle with the unknown would be probably be worried or concerned regardless of how it was communicated.

It is not nice, but we have to wait and see. And unfortunately, some will have to be guinnea pigs.

Let's hope we will get answers soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter