DAS for Brain tumor?

SJL@

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with a Brain tumour and am awaiting surgery, however I have an upcoming DisneyWorld trip that will happen before my surgery date.

I’ve been to Disneyworld before so I understand that is a loud, busy place but I’ve never been with a Brain tumour.

My current symptoms are single sided deafness which causes sensory sensitivites to noise especially (I can’t be around loud noises for long periods of times as it’s incredibly overwhelming), balance issues, vertigo, fatigue. The symptoms will continue to increase as it grows.

I never thought in my life I would have a need for a DAS so I have very little understanding of it.

Do you think I would qualify or should I not waste anyone’s time applying.

DAS is not provided because of a diagnosis. It is provided based on one's limitations to waiting in an attraction's line. Disney tends to be a loud environment, regardless of being on an attraction, in a line, or even in the general environment. You might consider wearing/ bringing a specialty headset to dampen/filter sounds.

Balance and fatigue would likely be considered mobility issues by Disney and the Cast Member would probably recommend a wheelchair or ECV. Disney does not usually issue a DAS for mobility challenges. You do not need a DAS to rent or bring a wheelchair or ECV. Having a wheelchair or ECV (or a rollator (walker with wheels)) means you will always have a seat available to you. If you bring one from home or rent one from an offsite vendor, it will be available to you at your hotel in addition to in the theme parks.

Safe travels!

Last edited:
DAS works for anyone with a disability that would make it difficult to physically wait in line. They don't ask for (and won't look at) any medical documentation or diagnoses.

Disney recommends bringing ear plugs, protective earmuffs, and/or noise-canceling headphones if you have sound sensitivities. If you have mobility issues, a wheelchair or ECV is recommended, and attractions will either have wheelchair accessible lines or offer return times (similar to DAS).

We used it a couple months ago on our first Disney trip with our 6 year old who is autistic and has the patience of a coked up hummingbird and constantly and loudly hums, especially when he gets overstimulated. We had honestly never considered taking him to a theme park because waiting in lines with him is a nightmare, but we wanted to give it a shot since his younger siblings are old enough to appreciate Disneyland now. Our expectations were very low going in but we found out about DAS at the last minute and it ended up making our trip magical. It felt a little weird walking by people in wheelchairs/ECVs waiting in the standby line but it makes sense since the program is meant to ensure accessibility and not as a perk for anyone with a disability.

Last edited:
DAS is not provided because of a diagnosis. It provided based on the limitations to waiting in an attraction's line. Disney tends to be a loud environment, regardless of being on an attraction, in a line, or even in the general environment. You might consider wearing/ bringing a specialty headset to dampen/filter sounds.

Balance and fatigue would likely be considered mobility issues by Disney and the Cast Member would probably recommend a wheelchair or ECV. Disney does not usually issue a DAS for mobility challenges. You do not need a DAS to rent or bring a wheelchair or ECV. Having a wheelchair or ECV (or a rollator (walker with wheels)) means you will always have a seat available to you. If you bring one from home or rent one from an offsite vendor, it will be available to you at your hotel in addition to in the theme parks.

Safe travels!
Thank you for the reply. Yes I know Disney is noisy in general, it honestly is a concern for me. But it’s one thing to be stuck in a line up next to people talking constantly, and another to be able to walk away when it gets too much. I will definitely look into headset etc.

DAS works for anyone with a disability that would make it difficult to physically wait in line. They don't ask for (and won't look at) any medical documentation or diagnoses.

Disney recommends bringing ear plugs, protective earmuffs, and/or noise-canceling headphones if you have sound sensitivities. If you have mobility issues, a wheelchair or ECV is recommended, and attractions will either have wheelchair accessible lines or offer return times (similar to DAS).

We used it a couple months ago on our first Disney trip with our 6 year old who is autistic and has the patience of a coked up hummingbird and constantly and loudly hums, especially when he gets overstimulated. We had honestly never considered taking him to a theme park because waiting in lines with him is a nightmare, but we wanted to give it a shot since his younger siblings are old enough to appreciate Disneyland now. Our expectations were very low going in but we found out about DAS at the last minute and it ended up making our trip magical. It felt a little weird walking by people in wheelchairs/ECVs waiting in the standby line but it makes sense since the program is meant to ensure accessibility and not as a perk for anyone with a disability.
It must feel very strange walking past those physically disabled. Im definitely not looking for a “perk” just want to make it a manageable/enjoyable trip for my family. This was all booked prior to diagnosis/symptoms. The problem is my disability isn’t physically visible so I do worry about judgement.

I’m glad you were able to have a fun trip with your family and I really appreciate you sharing your story.

Last edited:
I have similar issues with the vertigo, balance, hearing, and fatigue. I tried just an ECV for the first half of the week. It was extremely stressful to try and navigate through ques with all the turns, kids suddenly moving in front of you from the sides in the other lanes, and some parts of the ques having noises and lighting changes. Halfway through I stopped and got a DAS for those reasons. The rest of the week I only used it twice because honestly with those problems there were not a lot of rides that worked for me to go on. It was easier for those two rides as one was just a separate load and the other was then through the lightning lane which wasn’t crowded so I could take my time and was only one lane so easier to navigate.

As to the judgement. Anyone who deals with this knows you would give your DAS pass in a second to anyone who was willing to give you their good health in exchange for getting to wait outside a cue. It’s not a lightning line pass. Those who feel entitled to judge should be embarrassed, you shouldn’t. I know easier said than done. Dealing with a disability sucks and when it’s new it’s a fresh hurt on top of the limitations. I try to remind myself that I am a lot luckier than those who have been dealing with it most of their lives and also had to deal with judgmental idiots.

As to the judgement. Anyone who deals with this knows you would give your DAS pass in a second to anyone who was willing to give you their good health in exchange for getting to wait outside a cue. It’s not a lightning line pass. Those who feel entitled to judge should be embarrassed, you shouldn’t. I know easier said than done. Dealing with a disability sucks and when it’s new it’s a fresh hurt on top of the limitations. I try to remind myself that I am a lot luckier than those who have been dealing with it most of their lives and also had to deal with judgmental idiots.
Thank you so much for your kind response. It’s been a big life change being told I have a brain tumour at 38. I’ve have 3 kids young, I’ve been healthy my whole life and this came out of the left field.

Sometimes I don’t feel disabled but crowded loud places are so so difficult for me these days I get so overwhelmed. I’ve tried loop ear plugs but they take all noise away I can’t hear my children, it’s all very stressful but I want to make this trip wonderful for my children before I gave surgery and who knows what will happen.

I’ll apply for DAS and see what happens, Thsnk you

DAS is need-based, not diagnosis. They don't want to know your diagnosis. When you request DAS, speak briefly about your concerns related to waiting in a standard queue environment. As others have mentioned, things like fatigue and balance are considered mobility/stamina issues and the general recommendation is to use a mobility device so avoid mentioning those issues.

I had sudden partial hearing loss and was evaluated for a brain tumor as that's one of the causes - my issue was caused by something else (autoimmune inner ear disease). I've also (unrelated) had a traumatic brain injury due to bike accident - so I can imagine some of your issues. I have been using an ECV for awhile now because of arthritic knees and I used one at WDW after my TBI. This definitely will help with fatigue/balance and it also gives you a place to sit - you can go and park in some out of the way place away from people which is nice. I suggest staying at a hotel on property and renting from an outside vendor so you don't have to worry about driving or transporting it. Plus it's easy to go back to the hotel and rest. You'd need another adult with you to manage the kids.

I have not used them, but I think (?) there are some sort of earplugs that allow you to hear conversation but tamper down loud noises? Might be something to look for.

I also found several attractions to be too jarring. Do you think that would be a concern? Even Kilimanjaro safari was too rough because of how bumpy those vehicles are over the terrain. Mission Space I wouldn't get near (the orange side) because it spins you so fast. Most roller coasters... I can't imagine doing with this condition. Have you thought about the rides? Perhaps other adults can take your kids while you wait?

I guess I'd add to make sure your doctor is OK with the trip. From what I know (and knowing someone who had a similar type of tumor), because it grows there was the chance of sudden, unexpected downturn in health (seizures, etc.). If that's something that could affect you before you can have surgery, I'm sure you wouldn't want to be that far away from home and your doctors.

I have similar issues with the vertigo, balance, hearing, and fatigue. I tried just an ECV for the first half of the week. It was extremely stressful to try and navigate through ques with all the turns, kids suddenly moving in front of you from the sides in the other lanes, and some parts of the ques having noises and lighting changes. Halfway through I stopped and got a DAS for those reasons. The rest of the week I only used it twice because honestly with those problems there were not a lot of rides that worked for me to go on. It was easier for those two rides as one was just a separate load and the other was then through the lightning lane which wasn’t crowded so I could take my time and was only one lane so easier to navigate.
I'm surprised they issued DAS for vertigo/balance/fatigue. Did they ask if you had tried a wheelchair instead of a scooter?

I'm surprised they issued DAS for vertigo/balance/fatigue. Did they ask if you had tried a wheelchair instead of a scooter?
You are correct that the stated issues are not likely to get a DAS issued, it seems the PP may have had some other (maybe sensory) issues as well. I often recommend that if a guest tries without the DAS and they still have difficulty, to go discuss exactly those challenges with Guest Relations.

We don't need to go into detail of every individual's needs here.

ETA: just a reminder to folks that we don't post exact requests here. Each must find their own words to describe their own needs.

Last edited:
I can empathize with your symptoms- I have a brain injury that presents with many of the symptoms you listed and a few you did not. I do request a DAS each trip.

I have problems with fatigue, especially when my sensories are overwhelmed. Mid day breaks are planned into our park days so I can go back to the resort and take a nap. I highly recommend etymotic ER20HD earplugs (I get mine from amazon). I wear them throughout WDW, they soften the loud constant background noise yet still allow me to hear my children and have a conversation. They don't help too much if there's a loud noise right next to me, like someone yelling to a friend or a child crying. The only thing that works for me in that situation is noise cancelling headphones.

The DAS does not help with everything and I still have a lot of ride limitations.
Since you have balance issues, you may have difficulty on rides with conveyor belts/moving walkways like Peter Pan, Buzz, etc. I can only go on those rides if my husband is there to help by holding on to me and guiding me onto the ride vehicle.

Good luck with your trip and remember to give yourself tons of grace while at WDW!

SGL I had to get a DAS pass at Disneyland the last time I went because I had a stroke. I used an evc everyday I was there but still got the DAS to help offset the brain consequences of the stroke. It was super scary going back to Disneyland with all the issues that I now deal with but the pass really helped . . . especially when I got tired and everything was more pronounced. I understand about feeling judged when there is nothing obviously wrong with me but I had to get over that or I just would not have been able to enjoy the parks. Same thing went for using the evc. At first I was super self concious but at some point I just had to accept that in order to go with my family I had to give myself some grace too. I agree with the earlier poster that if you can take a nap during the day. Don't push yourself to hard and if you get overwhelmed and need some quiet time ask a cast mate where a good spot would be. Good luck with your surgery.

Ginny Bear I am going to check out those earplugs. I normally just use the foam kind.

I agree with the earlier poster that if you can take a nap during the day. Don't push yourself to hard and if you get overwhelmed and need some quiet time ask a cast mate where a good spot would be.
Identify on the park maps where First Aid is.

If you feel overwhelmed & need a place to kind of hide, to lay down and rest, or to decompress — go there. The nurses are awesome!! They have cots, and individual rooms or divided areas where you can lay down and have some privacy and peace.

If you are overheated, they will bring you a cold pack, and cool compresses for your pulse points to help cool you quickly, as well as ice water to drink.

You can also get Tylenol or ibuprofen, and other OTC remedies, free of charge, if needed (they had generic Sudafed when I asked, for example. And DH got some Tums after he developed indigestion— the nurse was very sure to ask him lots of questions about his symptoms to be certain it wasn’t a heart attack, they even took his blood pressure, lol.)

If you feel overwhelmed & need a place to kind of hide, to lay down and rest, or to decompress — go there. The nurses are awesome!! They have cots, and individual rooms or divided areas where you can lay down and have some privacy and peace.

If you are overheated, they will bring you a cold pack, and cool compresses for your pulse points to help cool you quickly, as well as ice water to drink.

You can also get Tylenol or ibuprofen, and other OTC remedies, free of charge, if needed (they had generic Sudafed when I asked, for example. And DH got some Tums after he developed indigestion— the nurse was very sure to ask him lots of questions about his symptoms to be certain it wasn’t a heart attack, they even took his blood pressure, lol.)
I agree - I use first aid a lot on my trips, as I need to do some PT when my PFD flairs up. The nurses (and EMTs) are great! When I had to go to urgent care, they were so kind and called the shuttle for me, and walked me to the shuttle. The rest areas with cots are well maintained, and it is so quiet in there! My favorite is the Animal Kingdom one - even though it's kind of sad to have a favorite first aid station.

Thank you for this suggestion! I didn't realize you could do this.

It may very well be "worth it" to you to consider a dessert party or dinner package for fireworks and/or IlluminoUS viewing, especially if packed-in crowds are an issue for yo. There are no real uncrowded general public areas with good views of the show in either Epcot or the MK. There ARE areas for the disabled/wheels users, but these are frequently shoulder-to shoulder and wheel-to-wheel.

Last edited:
It may very well be "worth it" to you to consider a dessert party or dinner package for fireworks and/or IlluminoUS viewing, especially if packed-in crowds are an issue for yo. There are no real uncrowded general publicareas with good views of the show in either Epcot or the MK. There ARE areas for the disable/wheels users, but these are frequently shoulder-to shoulder.

I second this - I use a DAS and don't have mobility issues. For fireworks and Fantasmic I budget for a dinner package or dessert party to make things work for me or I skip it and let my kids go without me. The MK dessert party is a great option for me - prior to this I had only watched from the Poly outdoor deck!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter