• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS + Genie

andee515

DIS Veteran
I apologize ahead because I am sure this has to have been addressed already, but after scanning numerous threads still unsure of answer....

It appears DAS is same as always, just completely in app; you do not go physically to attraction, correct?

And it appears to me Genie operates almost exactly same way with exception of not having ability to repeat rides?

Do they function independently on app, meaning does your selection time window in one effect the other? Can you make choices that may overlap?

If anyone has used both cna you tell me pros and cons or anyone direct me to a thread?

Thanks so much y'all :)

I apologize ahead because I am sure this has to have been addressed already, but after scanning numerous threads still unsure of answer....

It appears DAS is same as always, just completely in app; you do not go physically to attraction, correct?
There are now 3 ways to request DAS Return Times:
- using the My Disney Experience app
- the DAS user or a member of their group go to the attraction
- requesting a DAS Return Time at one of the blue Guest Experience umbrellas
And it appears to me Genie operates almost exactly same way with exception of not having ability to repeat rides?

Do they function independently on app, meaning does your selection time window in one effect the other? Can you make choices that may overlap?
DAS and Genie+/ Individual Lightning Lane are totally separate from DAS.
Guests registered for DAS can choose to pay for Genie+/Individual Lightning Lane and use it along with DAS.
Both DAS and Genie+ only allow one active attraction return time at a time.
They differ in these ways:
- DAS Return Times have a beginning time, but no window for use; they remain active until the park/attraction closes for the day or the user cancels/changes them.
Genie+/Individual LL have a beginning time and a window for use; after the window, they expire.

- DAS Return Times are based on the current wait time in the Standby Line. Genie+/Individual LL have a certain number of time slots available for the day. Returns are based on ‘next available time’ and they can run out of slots.

- Genie+/Individual LL can only be chosen once a day (can’t repeat rides).
Since DAS is basically a virtual wait in line, guests can ride the same attraction more than once (the same as guests waiting in the physical line can wait in the Standby line to ride as many times as they want)

If anyone has used both cna you tell me pros and cons or anyone direct me to a thread?

Thanks so much y'all :)
Many people using DAS and Genie+ are using Genie+ for attractions the DAS user will not be going on (since DAS can only be used if the DAS user is going on that attraction).
The first post in this thread has been kept updated about the DAS changes. It doesn’t have a lot about using Genie+, but is complete about and DAS.
WDW DAS summary of changes

Are you asking if Genie+ operates the same way as the old FP? There are a lot of differences besides having to pay for it - you need to wake up at 7am to book your first one in order to maximize your chances of getting some attractions...etc. etc. There's a good Genie+ thread on the Theme Park board. Some rides like Slinky Dog will be snapped up almost instantly by those with Genie+ for example. It's almost a waste to use Genie+ at Epcot and AK because of so few rides there. It can be a complicated answer if you want to maximize usage of Genie+ or are deciding whether to buy it in the first place.

You can get a DAS Return Time via the app once you are within the park, or go directly to a ride, or get one from a "blue umbrella" CM.

"Genie" (without the "plus") is free; it's a basic touring-plans type of app. You can enter your favorite attractions and it will help you "optimize" your time waiting in queues. I think it's programmed to help shift people from a busy area to a less-busy area. Some folks find it helpful, but I'm going to venture to say that most don't.

Genie+ is the paid service, $15/day per ticket. I would not say that it's the same as DAS. The biggest difference between DAS and Genie+ is the timing. DAS return times are based on the posted standby wait and as long as the standby queue is open you should be able to get a DAS return time. Genie+ times are harder to plan. At 7am you might get something for late morning but after that it really depends on how many others purchased Genie+ and the attraction of interest; some folks are reporting getting evening return times or finding rides "sold out" by noon or early afternoon.

Thanks! so has anyone used both? Would you do it again or more work than it's worth juggling the two? It would be highly unlikely that we would go on any rides my son doesn't go on

We haven't been yet to give it a try, but these are some notes I've gathered based on reports about when Genie+ has been most/least useful. A lot depends on how you plan your day. For example:
  • Genie+ may be useful if you don't do rope drop because you can book the first G+ at 7am and then stack from there. If you arrive at noon, you might be able to have 2 attractions all set to ride with G+ before waiting on your first DAS return time.
  • Genie+ may be useful if you plan to take a mid-day break. You can continue to stack G+ for late afternoon/evening along with a DAS return time and have 2-3 rides ready to go when returning to the park after your break.
  • Genie+ may be useful if you plan to "hop" because you can start to stack G+ for your 2nd park but you cannot get a DAS return time in the 2nd park until you enter.

• Genie+ might NOT be worthwhile if you only plan to spend a limited amount of time in the park early in the day (rope-drop to noon).
  • Genie+ might NOT be worth the cost if you only do attractions with short queues anyway. Keep an eye on the posted wait times in the days leading up to your trip.

When you select your DAS rides in the App, how does it actually work? Does it act like Genie+ from the tip board?

So for our upcoming trip, we have Genie + as well as DAS and preselections. These 3 items operate independent of one another. Specifically, 1) Am I allowed an overlapping return window (Genie+ doesn't pay attention to DAS?) and 2) Can we theoretically, if available, make a DAS at the same time on the same ride so we could ride twice? My son likes to reride a few rides over and over....

So for our upcoming trip, we have Genie + as well as DAS and preselections. These 3 items operate independent of one another. Specifically, 1) Am I allowed an overlapping return window (Genie+ doesn't pay attention to DAS?) and 2) Can we theoretically, if available, make a DAS at the same time on the same ride so we could ride twice? My son likes to reride a few rides over and over....
Yes, to both of your questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter