DAS Mobility Issues?

Bon1423

Mouseketeer
We have been to WDW frequently and never even thought of looking into DAS but without FP, I’m nervous about my DH waiting in the longer lines. Information out there feels limited about what is and isn’t approved, many places citing mobility issues are not a reason for DAS. My DH has a spine condition that causes pain and numbness when standing in lines or fairly still for long periods. Same with sitting and other than this he’a fit and a wheelchair seems unnecessary. In the past it hasn’t even been a thought we did fp and shorter lines. But now I’m wondering if we should apply? Would this be considered a mobility issue?

We have been to WDW frequently and never even thought of looking into DAS but without FP, I’m nervous about my DH waiting in the longer lines. Information out there feels limited about what is and isn’t approved, many places citing mobility issues are not a reason for DAS. My DH has a spine condition that causes pain and numbness when standing in lines or fairly still for long periods. Same with sitting and other than this he’a fit and a wheelchair seems unnecessary. In the past it hasn’t even been a thought we did fp and shorter lines. But now I’m wondering if we should apply? Would this be considered a mobility issue?

You can ask, and you may be successful, but per Disney policy, this would be a mobility issue and thus not eligible for a DAS.

It sounds like he need to sit snd stand Would s roller help. With no FP the lines are pretty much always moving so you are not standing in one place that long

Aren't the lines just looking longer because of social distancing? Others here on the DIS have posted that the lines are moving most of the time, mainly because there are no FP guests to stop the standby queue. If he's okay with walking, he could always pace a bit in the queue. The DAS isn't going to get him on the ride any faster, or shorten the distance he has to walk.

Thanks for the replies! He is good walking, he’s physically fit in every way except standing still for long periods. I wasn’t sure if pacing was possible with social distancing. If the queues are moving constantly then we may not have anything to worry about, I haven’t been since Covid because we didn’t want to go without fp for this reason. But maybe not as much to worry about as I thought!

You can ask, and you may be successful, but per Disney policy, this would be a mobility issue and thus not eligible for a DAS.
"My DH has a spine condition that causes pain and numbness when standing in lines or fairly still for long periods."

That is clearly not a mobility issue. I would suggest you go to MS and inquire. I understand exactly what you are describing and have been granted a DAS in the past. Please ask... Good luck!

You can always try and see if the lines are moving adequately. With no fast pass, there is very little standing time in lines now. If it is a problem, go to Guest Services and explain.

I broke my tailbone a bazillion years ago and it didn't heal quite right, so it's a similar issue. I can walk fine, but standing and/or sitting for any period makes me pretty sore and miserable. I pace a lot. I've never really felt the need for a DAS, but your husband may be more severe. Always ask or explain what he is having difficulty with.

Thanks for the replies! He is good walking, he’s physically fit in every way except standing still for long periods. I wasn’t sure if pacing was possible with social distancing. If the queues are moving constantly then we may not have anything to worry about, I haven’t been since Covid because we didn’t want to go without fp for this reason. But maybe not as much to worry about as I thought!

Remember that if you get there, and DAS happens to be denied, you still have options that might help: First, an inexpensive Rollator is like a walker but with a cushioned seat, and they typically also have a handy storage basket under the seat as well. Most of them fold "flat" for travel, and while you can rent them locally in Orlando, it might actually be cheaper just to have Amazon drop one off at your Hotel.

Second, remember that you can rent an ECV from most of the outside vendors in Orlando at any point during your trip. It does tend to be better to reserve a scooter in advance, but sometimes you need one when you need one! If you decide to go this route, please know that your hubby does not have to drive it all the time - you could drive it for him sometimes, and there is also a very popular "park and walk" strategy that many folks here use: You find a fairly central location, and park the ECV, and then walk around in that area, and do several rides/attractions, perhaps even a meal. Then if you are tiring, and need a break, you have the ECV handy.

The DAS is not a "front of the line" pass - even with a DAS, you will still have to work. your way through the FP+ line where there will be other DAS holders, typically some folks with special passes (because a ride broken down earlier, or maybe a problem with their room, etc.) as well as Wish Kids, and Plaid tours, so it does not guarantee that you will just walk on to the ride - there could still be some amount of time standing/waiting. All it really does is allow you to wait outside the standard queue environment; that's why Disney says if you have a mobility issue (like can't stand/walk for long, or must be able to sit down on demand) that you either bring or rent a mobility device.

If you all decide to go to Guest Relations (at the front of any Park) and ask for a DAS, you will only need to do that once; if granted, it will be active for the entire length of your stay at WDW. Additionally, you should know that Cast Members at Guest Relations will *not* look at doctor's notes, and will not need to know a diagnosis. They *only* discuss why you can't stand in the normal queue with all the other Guests, and how waiting outside that queue for your turn might help you.

"My DH has a spine condition that causes pain and numbness when standing in lines or fairly still for long periods."

That is clearly not a mobility issue. I would suggest you go to MS and inquire. I understand exactly what you are describing and have been granted a DAS in the past. Please ask... Good luck!

How does one handle the standing in lines or fairly still for long periods in other places at WDW, like the bus queues, pre-shows, etc?

How does one handle the standing in lines or fairly still for long periods in other places at WDW, like the bus queues, pre-shows, etc?

We don’t usually take a lot of the Disney transportation as we typically stay off-site. And pre-shows are generally not that long. Even when we are on site lines for transportation are not as long and confining. He’s ok for 15-20 minutes, half hour maybe too. And sometimes he’s just in pain and deals with it. The concern for us is like 45 minutes to hour and a half long lines, seeing that may be a lot of rides now, and especially with social distancing being the norm I would be concerned about his ability to maybe pace around in line. We never do those long lines, we do fp rides and shorter never anything longer than a half hour. And we never really wait for parades and fireworks.

An ECV will not help this condition at all. It's not even an option. If he can't sit or stand for long periods of time (which I have the same thing from DDD), you cannot be confined to an chair all day in the park. You can't get out and push them when it's time to walk. A rollator will help, but not a cure all. You need an actual seat to sit in with back support after standing 25+ minutes. Go to guest services and explain his situation. I can't walk for more than 30 minutes or so without having to sit. As per my doctor, I am not supposed to sit for more than 25 minutes or so without getting up and walking around a while. I cannot stand still because the pressure builds on my lower back. When I'm stuck in a situation where I can't move, I have to pace. I've had surgery on my back and now suffer from nerve damage in my right foot. There are times that it feels like there's a ball under my foot and it causes me to tip forward. I can't walk up stairs very well either. Some attractions do have stairs. I am not sure if your husband can do stairs but that's something he needs to be aware of. It also takes me longer to get up from a sitting position to a standing, especially when trying to get out of attractions like Pirates and IASWA. I can't do Space Mt anymore because I can't pull myself out of the seat.
These are not just mobility issues. Technically you can say anything is mobility if someone can't stand in a line, even if it's their attention span but it doesn't mean it is.

Good luck

An ECV will not help this condition at all. It's not even an option. If he can't sit or stand for long periods of time (which I have the same thing from DDD), you cannot be confined to an chair all day in the park. You can't get out and push them when it's time to walk. A rollator will help, but not a cure all. You need an actual seat to sit in with back support after standing 25+ minutes. Go to guest services and explain his situation. I can't walk for more than 30 minutes or so without having to sit. As per my doctor, I am not supposed to sit for more than 25 minutes or so without getting up and walking around a while. I cannot stand still because the pressure builds on my lower back. When I'm stuck in a situation where I can't move, I have to pace. I've had surgery on my back and now suffer from nerve damage in my right foot. There are times that it feels like there's a ball under my foot and it causes me to tip forward. I can't walk up stairs very well either. Some attractions do have stairs. I am not sure if your husband can do stairs but that's something he needs to be aware of. It also takes me longer to get up from a sitting position to a standing, especially when trying to get out of attractions like Pirates and IASWA. I can't do Space Mt anymore because I can't pull myself out of the seat.
These are not just mobility issues. Technically you can say anything is mobility if someone can't stand in a line, even if it's their attention span but it doesn't mean it is.

Good luck
NO, no you can't say attention span has anything at all to do with mobility. I'm not even sure how a person could try to stretch that into a mobility issue. Moving on..
All the issues you described are mobility issues. You can pace in line, the stand by line is not going to be stationary for 25 minutes.
Getting into and out of ride vehicles is the very definition of mobility, and a das pass won't help that. That is a ride ops issue. You need to let the ride operations know you require additional time to load/unload. Being in the fast pass line doesn't change the way you get into a ride vehicle.

Good luck

Where do you find the actual seat with back support at WDW? Do you bring one with you?

A rollator may not have a seat with back support, but a manual wheelchair does.

Actually, most Rollators will have some form of back support - whether it is comfortable for a given user is another story. Sometimes it is a moveable padded bar, or a soft "sling", but a few models have something resembling an actual seat back.

There are a few Rollators that can double as a transport chair, however I don't think those would be comfortable at a place like WDW for all day use; they really aren't designed for that kind of scenario.

Good luck
My dad has very similar issues to yours, though with tons of procedures and physical therapy over the years he's doing a lot better at the moment. Frustrating, isn't it? Especially trying to explain it to others who don't happen to have/know anyone with that exact combination of difficulties. Dad's always gotten a DAS for his, though we haven't been in a while and he may not need one next time now that he's improving. I don't know about you, but for Dad a rollator or manual wheelchair are a flat NOPE! Both put immense pressure, instantly, on the exact damaged spot in his lower back. He did use an ECV when he was at his worst, but it was a constant dance of him driving it for awhile, parking it for awhile to walk, someone else in the party driving it for awhile because he couldn't tolerate sitting back down....so tough to figure out how best to manage. Good luck to you! OP, sorry for the hijack. I hope some of this helps...

My mom has mobility issues that are not easily solved with a wheelchair, so sort of similar to your issue. Her joints hurt whether she sits or stands for prolonged periods. We've always been able to get DAS for her just by explaining the problem with positioning. That being said, I'm starting to get nervous because I've heard reports of people who have gotten it in the past having issues getting it now. Hopefully it works out for you!

My dad has very similar issues to yours, though with tons of procedures and physical therapy over the years he's doing a lot better at the moment. Frustrating, isn't it? Especially trying to explain it to others who don't happen to have/know anyone with that exact combination of difficulties. Dad's always gotten a DAS for his, though we haven't been in a while and he may not need one next time now that he's improving. I don't know about you, but for Dad a rollator or manual wheelchair are a flat NOPE! Both put immense pressure, instantly, on the exact damaged spot in his lower back. He did use an ECV when he was at his worst, but it was a constant dance of him driving it for awhile, parking it for awhile to walk, someone else in the party driving it for awhile because he couldn't tolerate sitting back down....so tough to figure out how best to manage. Good luck to you! OP, sorry for the hijack. I hope some of this helps...
There are ECVs where you can alternate between sitting, which may help some. I saw one company working on one that essentially has a treadmill in addition to the seat to allow for walking while still using the ECV, but I see a lot of issues with that concept.

I do think we will see a lot of innovative options in the near future due to the increase of people who need ECVs due to everything that has been happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter