• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS only for specific disabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindermouse

DIS Veteran
I am really not trying to stir the pot here and I know that people on this thread are a very passionate group with strong convictions and tightly held feelings on the topic of DAS who often don't want to mince words. However I just have a simple question to help me with future trips so if you could possibly not respond to this question with harsh, negative, or sarcastic comments I would really appreciate it.

I was at Disneyland Resort in LA last week and went to get a DAS as I have done before with my son. I explained his symptoms and how they affect him and how they make waiting in a regular que situation difficult (he as tourettes and OCD which make it difficult to stand still in crowded spaces since he often has to fling his arms around and he has to leave longer lines often to perform compulsions every so often, the stress of feeling like people are breathing on him/pinning him in for more than about 20 minutes causes his tourettes to flair up which cause him to have shouting ticcs which makes people stare at him and outright ask him to "shut up" which just makes the ticcs worse) but I was told by a cast member at City Hall this time that DAS is only for people with Autism or Down Syndrome. She said she would give it to us this time but that we shouldnt try to get one again now that we know it is only for people with Autism or Down Syndrome.

I was very surprised by this since this is not what I have been told in the past. We are planning our first WDW trip for next October and now I am wondering if I should cancel it. It's my understanding that WDW waits during the busy season, like October, can be long and arduous across the board with just about every line being 30 minutes or more and his capacity to stay put being limited to about 20 minutes.

Is DAS now only for people with Autism or Down Syndrome? Should I email WDW and ask this question for more clarification?

1) There is no list of acceptable illnesses (such as autism) for a DAS.
2) But, there are limitations on symptoms (such mobility or standing).
3) Maybe the CM thought if the child had a scooter, wheelchair, or stroller, the waiting-in-line would not be an issue.
4) I am not saying this was the CM's theory, as I was not present, but I could understand if this was the thought.
5) You did mention "standing in line" in your posting above, so a mobility device would sound like to would halt/satisfy the problem.

Last edited:
A DAS would be issued for any condition that you can describe why, in English (or in Spanish or in any of the other languages in which Disney guide maps are published), why having the DAS would mitigate hardships that you would run into had you not possessed a DAS. Notable exceptions: If a wheelchair or scooter will solve the hardships then a DAS will not be issued to you even though you might need to pay to rent such equipment. If simply getting on a ride sooner is the desire or perceived need then a DAS will not be issued.

No knowledge of medical terminology is needed.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry you encountered a CM who apparently needs more training. To answer your question... no, DAS is not only for specific disabilities. In fact, it is not diagnosis-based at all, only need based. The CM had no business asking your son's diagnosis; it shouldn't come into the conversation when requesting a DAS, only discussion of his needs. As PP mentions, if the needs can be met by using a mobility device, they may deny a DAS; if that is suggested, be prepared to explain why a mobility device would not work for his needs.

Enjoy your vacation!

It is not, but I've heard of CMs saying things like this when they are denying someone they don't feel qualifies.

If it happens again, ask for a manager. It happened much more frequently when the DAS rolled out originally. I actually haven't heard of this issue in a while.

is unfortunate that the CM apparently got it wrong.

1) Not knowing the conversation, we really cannot make this assumption.
2) We do not know how the symptoms were described to the CM by the guest.
3) If not worded properly, rejecting a request for DAS is very possible.

NOTE: We should not jump to conclusions. There are times a CM is following rules/guidelines. Guests sometimes do make errors and make it appear the CM was wrong.

NOTE: We should not jump to conclusions. There are times a CM is following rules/guidelines. Guests sometimes do make errors and make it appear the CM was wrong.

Unless you are accusing the OP of lying, how could the CM saying the "DAS is only for people with Autism or Down Syndrome" be part of them following rules/guidelines?

I am really not trying to stir the pot here and I know that people on this thread are a very passionate group with strong convictions and tightly held feelings on the topic of DAS who often don't want to mince words. However I just have a simple question to help me with future trips so if you could possibly not respond to this question with harsh, negative, or sarcastic comments I would really appreciate it.

I was at Disneyland Resort in LA last week and went to get a DAS as I have done before with my son. I explained his symptoms and how they affect him and how they make waiting in a regular que situation difficult (he as tourettes and OCD which make it difficult to stand still in crowded spaces since he often has to fling his arms around and he has to leave longer lines often to perform compulsions every so often, the stress of feeling like people are breathing on him/pinning him in for more than about 20 minutes causes his tourettes to flair up which cause him to have shouting ticcs which makes people stare at him and outright ask him to "shut up" which just makes the ticcs worse) but I was told by a cast member at City Hall this time that DAS is only for people with Autism or Down Syndrome. She said she would give it to us this time but that we shouldnt try to get one again now that we know it is only for people with Autism or Down Syndrome.

I was very surprised by this since this is not what I have been told in the past. We are planning our first WDW trip for next October and now I am wondering if I should cancel it. It's my understanding that WDW waits during the busy season, like October, can be long and arduous across the board with just about every line being 30 minutes or more and his capacity to stay put being limited to about 20 minutes.

Is DAS now only for people with Autism or Down Syndrome? Should I email WDW and ask this question for more clarification?
I am sorry this happened to you. I will not commit on what the CM said or try to guess what the CM meant ( but if you are ever denied a DAS and you feel like you need one leave GR and try to enjoy your day then when dose not work go back and reexplain your son need and tell them you have tried XYZ. ( there are times I have a hard time explain my need for waiting in lines, and talking for that matter, so this is what I had to do once).

as fair as the DAS is only for those two group no it is not I can think of the top of my head why other people would need a DAS card ( including me and I do not have either of those things) I also know someone with ADS that dose better in lines then out of them, the DAS is not a one size fits all it is system bast and what your need are in line.

as fair as disney world goes I would still go. be prepared to tell the CM what your sons needs are in line. and why a mobility device will not help him ( and remember the CM are not dr or sycoligest extra) so saying my son has XYZ may not help them understand that the person they meed before that has XYZ that can do lines dose not mean your son can ( I hope that mad since)

a few tips for your disney trip t help with lines in general

1 the first 60 to 90 minute the park is opened the lines tend to be the shortest use this time ( AKA get the the park at rope drop)

2 with FP+ you can been FP wither 60 days ( if you stay on site) or 30 if you stay off site. ]

after you use your first 3 you can get one more and so on.

While declining to give the DAS out is totally acceptable, stating that it is only for Autism or not. It really doesn't have anything to do with how the OP asked for the DAS. It's the way the CM responded.

I was in a fairly long standby line in DCA a few months ago, next to a family where the mother was in a WC which the father was pushing. They were complaining that he was now disabled from having to push the wheelchair when in the past they would have skipped the line. However, at the time, the DAS return was almost as long as the standby line. There were 2 large parties of 8-10 plus more than a half dozen of 3-5. And they were lined up in an area that was smaller than the standby line. Really, if the standby line didn't have to wait for all the people in the DAS return we would have been on the line in 10-15 minutes instead of over 30. I think that they will have to change something about the DAS soon at DLR because so many people are using it. Not even necessarily abusing it (although honestly, that's happening too) but using it.

I can't imagine the CM would just blurt out these specific diagnoseses if they weren't told to her. Like she came up with those rules on her own. They are probably trained to listen for those words and if those specific words aren't said they are suppose to refuse the DAS. Even though CMs don't ask for a diagnosis most people just say their diagnosis right? I'm guessing when OP said OCD and Tourette's those aren't the cue words.

On the other hand if that is true it was very nice of her to go ahead and give you one.

When I first inquired about das (over the phone) I was told it was only for autism. Fortunately the CM in the park knew better and we got one easily, but it does seem some Disney employees believe that it's only for autism.

Really, if the standby line didn't have to wait for all the people in the DAS return we would have been on the line in 10-15 minutes instead of over 30. .
Don't look now but the people you saw in the DAS return statistically came to the ride before you (in the regular line) first came. True, you may have felt better (I wonder why but will save that for another program or thread) if they had been directly in front of you all the while you were waiting. But it would have made them feel worse from such things as having to hold it in an unusually small or prostate squeezed bladder instead of bolting for the rest room, or breaking out in a rash due to oversensitivity to the sun. Or their being in front of you all the while might have made you feel worse too due to the Chinese water torture imposed on you by their glorified noisy hiccups (called Tourette's). And also, had they been in the regular line in front of you all along with no DAS area, that would have made your wait the same over 30 minutes compared with the 10-15 minutes you expected or envisioned.

And offering them water to quell the hiccups is not good because that would aggravate the aforementioned bladder and rest room problem.

Last edited:
I can't imagine the CM would just blurt out these specific diagnoseses if they weren't told to her. Like she came up with those rules on her own. They are probably trained to listen for those words and if those specific words aren't said they are suppose to refuse the DAS. Even though CMs don't ask for a diagnosis most people just say their diagnosis right? I'm guessing when OP said OCD and Tourette's those aren't the cue words.

On the other hand if that is true it was very nice of her to go ahead and give you one.

I think it's more likely that these two diagnoses were mentioned as examples, not exclusive "cue" words, and this particular CM took it quite literally and thought if those words weren't used, no DAS would be issued. Since guests with all sorts of disabilities get a DAS at DLR, it's highly unlikely that CMs have been told to refuse the DAS unless the guest has autism or Down Syndrome.

I think that autism is probably the top diagnosis that comes to Disney and inquires about a DAS. I'm inclined to think it's also used as an example. It's a fairly common issue.

I don't think they're trained to refuse anything but autism since this isn't a frequent issue. I think some people think it's an easier let down to say "no, it's only for autism" instead of "no, you don't qualify."

I did mention my sons symptoms and how they effect his ability to stay in a queuing situation for long period. What she said basically word for word was that it is only for Autism and Down syndrome since they dont understand waiting in line. Since my son could understand the concept of waiting in line he and didnt have autism or down syndrome he didnt qualify and never should have been given one, no matter how many times we had gotten it before. I explained that it wasnt an issue of waiting, and that we would absolutely wait as long as anyone else what we needed was to able to wait in a different area since the issue was the queuing and needing to be able to leave the area and perform compulsions, needing space to have his ticcs without worrying about hitting people and getting quiet breaks from the crowds to deal with the stress that he deals with in feeling like he is trapped in crowd of people breathing their germs on him-and not the waiting. She said she would give it to us this time since we had been misinformed in the past but we shouldn't try to get one again since it wasn't for us.

Last edited:
I did mention my sons symptoms and how they effect his ability to stay in a queuing situation for long period. What she said basically word for word was that it is only for Autism and Down syndrome since they dont dont understand waiting in line. Since my son could understand the concept of waiting in line he and didnt have autism or down syndrome he did qualify and never should have been given one,no matter how many times we had gotten it before. I explain that it wasnt an issue of waiting, and that we would absolutely wait as long as anyone else what we needed was to able to wait in a different area since the issue was the queuing and needing to be able to leave the area and perform compulsions, needing space to have his ticcs without worrying about hitting people and getting quiet breaks from the crowds to deal with the stress that he deals with in feeling like he is trapped in crowd of people breathing their germs on him-and not the waiting. She said she would give it to us this time since we had been misinformed in the past but we shouldn't try to get one again since it wasn't for us.
If this is what happened ( and I have no resion to believe it did not happened like you said) I would send a littler to disney ( if you have the CM name) so that she can be better trained in what/ who the DAS is for. like I said before I know a few people with ASD and I know one for sure that has no problem waiting in the stander line ( she dose better in fact with lines then out of them) another that has a good concept of time and know people have to wait in lines and that if a line is 45 minute long he too will have to wait he is good at not asking his parent when he can return and know there are things he can do while waiting. SO for the CM to make a blank statement is wrong. I have a number of disabilities ( most miner unless all of them are cuseing me problems at once ) in all the times I have gone to disney I have only had one time were I had a problem with getting a DAS ( it was my first time and I was not ready to say what my problems were in line, I have a hard time saying who I feel and explaining my need let a lone talking) but since the first trip I have never even said my DX I just say when I am in line I have a problem with XYZ and it case me to XYZ. You may what to do that not even say his DX if you can and If another CM telles you what that CM said I would ask to speak to a manager because that is wrong. I know a number of people that have a DAS and most of them do not have ASD or DS ( 2 people do once each)

I hope you enjoy your trip to DW one day I would love to make it out to the land.

Don't look now but the people you saw in the DAS return statistically came to the ride before you (in the regular line) first came. True, you may have felt better (I wonder why but will save that for another program or thread) if they had been directly in front of you all the while you were waiting. But it would have made them feel worse from such things as having to hold it in an unusually small or prostate squeezed bladder instead of bolting for the rest room, or breaking out in a rash due to oversensitivity to the sun. Or their being in front of you all the while might have made you feel worse too due to the Chinese water torture imposed on you by their glorified noisy hiccups (called Tourette's). And also, had they been in the regular line in front of you all along with no DAS area, that would have made your wait the same over 30 minutes compared with the 10-15 minutes you expected or envisioned.

And offering them water to quell the hiccups is not good because that would aggravate the aforementioned bladder and rest room problem.
No, they didn't. The posted wait time was 5 minutes when I got in the line, and only 10 when I exited, so no returns were being issued at the kiosks as DLR's info was not to issue returns and guests do not go to the attraction to get their return time at DLR. And for attractions where return times are being issued, they could have gotten a return time in one park, used FPs there, park hopped, used another FP, and had a meal. But in this case, many of them may not have decided to ride until the people in the standby queue were already in the queue before these parties decided to go on that ride, and they were on and off before the people who were waiting prior to their entry through the exit. DAS are not issued based on feelings, but on needs. There are many people who may have various feelings about waiting at all as opposed to waiting somewhere other than the physical queue, but that alone does not determine either DAS eligibility or inability to wait. Further, simply having Tourette's is not the equivalent of Chinese water torture, so no, no one should receive a DAS simply because they have Tourette's. Nor should everyone with an enlarged prostate receive one due to bladder issues and how that makes them feel in line. Many people had bladder issues or physical issues and various levels of feelings about those issues but that does not negate personal responsibility when one chooses to go to a theme park where waiting for rides or shows in inherent to the experience. Nor does that shift the responsibility to Disney simply because their rides and shows require waiting. While there are people who may benefit from waiting outside of the physical queue for the majority of their wait time, that does not mean that someone with an enlarged prostate does not have equal access because they go through the queue or someone with Tourette's does not have equal access simply because they have that diagnosis.

OP, I'm so sorry that happened to you. The CM was wrong. The ability to qualify for a DAS is based on needs, not specific diagnoses. Definitely write to Disney and describe what happened so they can address the issue with the CMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter