• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS only for specific disabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they didn't. The posted wait time was 5 minutes when I got in the line, and only 10 when I exited, so no returns were being issued at the kiosks as DLR's info was not to issue returns and guests do not go to the attraction to get their return time at DLR. And for attractions where return times are being issued, they could have gotten a return time in one park, used FPs there, park hopped, used another FP, and had a meal. But in this case, many of them may not have decided to ride until the people in the standby queue were already in the queue before these parties decided to go on that ride, and they were on and off before the people who were waiting prior to their entry through the exit. DAS are not issued based on feelings, but on needs. There are many people who may have various feelings about waiting at all as opposed to waiting somewhere other than the physical queue, but that alone does not determine either DAS eligibility or inability to wait. Further, simply having Tourette's is not the equivalent of Chinese water torture, so no, no one should receive a DAS simply because they have Tourette's. Nor should everyone with an enlarged prostate receive one due to bladder issues and how that makes them feel in line. Many people had bladder issues or physical issues and various levels of feelings about those issues but that does not negate personal responsibility when one chooses to go to a theme park where waiting for rides or shows in inherent to the experience. Nor does that shift the responsibility to Disney simply because their rides and shows require waiting. While there are people who may benefit from waiting outside of the physical queue for the majority of their wait time, that does not mean that someone with an enlarged prostate does not have equal access because they go through the queue or someone with Tourette's does not have equal access simply because they have that diagnosis.

By your thought process then, no one should qualify for a DAS. Technically, everyone can wait in the standard queue. It may not be fun, easy or convenient but they could do it. You are saying it is all a matter of choice and personal responsibility. And autistic kids can wait in lines, It just might not be easy. But it can be done....they may be miserable and make those around them miserable as well, but it can be done.

By your thought process then, no one should qualify for a DAS. Technically, everyone can wait in the standard queue. It may not be fun, easy or convenient but they could do it. You are saying it is all a matter of choice and personal responsibility. And autistic kids can wait in lines, It just might not be easy. But it can be done....they may be miserable and make those around them miserable as well, but it can be done.
I *could* ask my very tall 10yr old with ASD to queue, traditionally. I could explain the benefits, I could check that he had understood, that he was committed to wanting to ride, and reinforce the no hurting anyone rule. Of course, it *could* be externally fine, however much HE is struggling (and meant to be on a fun vacation)
But, EVERYONE is going to have their day ruined IF he goes into sensory overload. When he will scream and flail, try to run away, lie down kicking out. In a busy queue this is a huge risk, and there is nowhere for him to go, he can't escape. How long can he take standing next to people who accidentally touch him, or who have food or cologne he can't cope with the smell of, or who have watches that he can hear ticking? It really depends on so many things, so, it is definitely better for us to wait outside the line.
I'm sorry that the poster before who complained about waiting a little extra, felt this to be an unfair advantage, but, believe me, the advantage conferred on you by NOT having a disability is probably greater. I would certainly swap queue place exchange (not even queue jumping, just waiting somewhere else) if I could remove his ASD.

I would certainly swap queue place exchange (not even queue jumping, just waiting somewhere else) if I could remove his ASD.

I know I have used the DAS at disney and if I could get ride of my disability I would in a hart beat, I would wait in the longest queue there is if it meant I did not have to deal with my disabilities.

to the PP that said because of the people with disabilities the line was longer. There might have been things you had no idea about. once of the people with a disability might have had a 3 hour melt down where they could not have done anything, or had a medical problem ( both have happened to me) When they got the return time there might have been a longer wait, and because something came up the wait was shorter.

Some of them can and some of them can't. Merely having an autism diagnosis doesn't make that determination. Some people may be able to wait in a queue, at one point in the day and then not another. The system won't be sustainable forever, people should think about how they can make the queues the most manageable for them before the next change. Simply throwing up your hands and expecting Disney to provide a pass which skips every queue forever due to a disability will only lead to future disappointment. Likewise the guests who say things like, "I don't use a wheelchair in real life so I won't take one from someone in the park, but I need to skip the lines" are not being responsible for themselves. Do you think everyone waiting in the line feels great all the time or doesn't have emotions related to their own physical, mental or cognitive issues? The post I responded to say that people with bladders being squeezed by their prostate or hiccups due to Tourette's should skip lines because of how they feel. No, not everyone with an enlarged prostate or sensitive to the sun or simply because they have a Tourette's diagnosis should skip lines just because they feel they don't want to wait. That is where personal responsibility and making choices that make as many queues and waits manageable for the individual comes in.

I'm sorry that the poster before who complained about waiting a little extra, felt this to be an unfair advantage, but, believe me, the advantage conferred on you by NOT having a disability is probably greater. I would certainly swap queue place exchange (not even queue jumping, just waiting somewhere else) if I could remove his ASD.
That doesn't entitle anyone to the accommodation of their choosing at a theme park.

DAS is "need-based" and not diagnosis-based, since 2 people with the same diagnosis may have different needs. Only CMs at Guest Relations at the parks can make a determination what needs "qualify" for the DAS. Guests should be prepared to explain their/family member's needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment when requesting a DAS.

I'm closing this thread since it has gotten into arguing over what needs qualify. Again, only CMs at the parks can make that determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter