• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS & Rider switch

StirlingSilver83

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone I'm new to this board and I have a question. My 7yr old son has ADHD and has real patient problems. Standing in lines is just not for him. If he has to stand in line I feel like pulling my hair out by the end of the ride. Anyways I was planning on getting a DAS card for him and between that and FP+ there should be minimum waiting times which is awesome. My question is I also have an infant as well that can't ride the bigger rides like splash mountain. How does the rider swap option work with the DAS card?

Hey everyone I'm new to this board and I have a question. My 7yr old son has ADHD and has real patient problems. Standing in lines is just not for him. If he has to stand in line I feel like pulling my hair out by the end of the ride. Anyways I was planning on getting a DAS card for him and between that and FP+ there should be minimum waiting times which is awesome. My question is I also have an infant as well that can't ride the bigger rides like splash mountain. How does the rider swap option work with the DAS card?

It works exactly the same as it does without a DAS. Simply go up to the CM at the ride entrance (with the baby) and ask for a rider swap pass. Then take your other son on the ride, and the other parent can also take your son on the ride when they use the rider swap pass.

OP, the previous poster answered your question, but I just wanted to point out that the DAS is not going to decrease your wait time. You won't have to wait in the actual line, but you will have to wait. Just wanted to let you know so you weren't expecting something else.

His window of wait time is a tolerable 10 minutes. Anything longer and he gets very hyper and his listening skills goes out the window sort of speak lol...we went to disney 2 years ago and used the old FP system and found the longest wait to be soaring on the FP line but it was still better than the stand by line and the cm were very helpful in helping us keep his attention at certain parts of the line. We aren't doing soaring this year bc of the baby but I am hoping that between FP+ and the DAS we won't have to wait that much for rides...we also have the deluxe dining plan which gives us a nice break instead of having to go back to the resort for a break :)

His window of wait time is a tolerable 10 minutes. Anything longer and he gets very hyper and his listening skills goes out the window sort of speak lol...we went to disney 2 years ago and used the old FP system and found the longest wait to be soaring on the FP line but it was still better than the stand by line and the cm were very helpful in helping us keep his attention at certain parts of the line. We aren't doing soaring this year bc of the baby but I am hoping that between FP+ and the DAS we won't have to wait that much for rides...we also have the deluxe dining plan which gives us a nice break instead of having to go back to the resort for a break :)

The DAS will let you get a return time for however long the standby time is for that ride (minus 10 minutes). Once it is time for your return, they cross off the return time and direct you to the FP queue. I will say that there have been reports that FP lines have been longer than it had been previously so be prepared for that with your son. You'll also have to find other things to do between DAS and FP+ rides! as you can only have one DAS return time at a time.

When we were there in October, the FP+ return lines were very often longer than 10 minutes so you might want to be prepared.

My ds has ADHD and ODD and we've never really had a problem with him in lines as long as he has taken his medications. I never even thought of a DAS although my older dd does get one but we only used it a few times. Make sure he has something to occupy himself in lines like sports cards, a book, a small toy, ipod, etc.

I
You will have to wait someplace with your son for the length of the standby wait time. Plus the FP line can and does often exceed a 10min wait in very tight quarters. There will only be FP+ available as the paper FPs as being phased out in the remaining so parks this coming week. I'd suggest have a plan for instant activities available to do with your son. If you haven't read up on the sorcerers of the magic kingdom game, I would do that and plan on that occupying his free time in the MK.

The DAS is vastly different than the GAC. If you have not read up on it, you should head over to the disabilities board and read the thread about it.

WAIT! I'm a little confused, if I were to Rider Switch Space Mountain with a two hour wait, would I need to wait 2 hours? So the baby would have to wait 2 hours with the DH?

WAIT! I'm a little confused, if I were to Rider Switch Space Mountain with a two hour wait, would I need to wait 2 hours? So the baby would have to wait 2 hours with the DH?

Yes, the child swap does not get you immediate access to the ride. The first parent and any additional children stand in the line to ride while the other parent and the too small child go wait somewhere else. When the first parent gets off, then the second parent and additional children can then go through the FP line to ride.

Yes you wait. If you also happen to have a fp you usually can use that in conjunction with the baby swap.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd ask on this one....

Can someone give specific details about how to use child swap? I totally understand the principle of it, but am looking for the specific mechanics of the process. Like this...

You go up to a CM at the ride entrance (before entering the queue), right? Does the whole party have to be together? Does the CM witness the first part of the group enter the queue and then give the child swap pass to the remaining parent with the younger child? Do they give the pass to the parent going into the queue such that they have to go on the ride and come back out before it is used?

I guess what I am asking is if someone can take me on a step by step of how to do it. I am going over spring break with another family and my two children are too short for some rides but the other family's children are older/taller and can go on everything. I want to use child swap to maximize the experience for them (they have only been to Disney once before and I want them to do as much as possible) so I want to understand how the process works so I don't waste precious time during my trip figuring it out.

I'm not sure with what you are rider swapping. If you are using the DAS and have already waited the 2hrs and are coming back for your time then you would enter through the FP lane and get the rider swap there. Then whomever is waiting with the baby would wait until you and your son come through and then the other parent could ride as well.

If you did rider switch and were using standby then yes the baby would wait with a parent for the entire time.

My son has ADHD (type 1 and 2 combined, severe symptoms) and Aspergers so I can sympathize with the frustration as a parent trying to get a kid to stay in line. I also have ADHD (moderate combined) and after fifteen minutes or so I'm really fidgeting. We've never used any of the accessibility cards out there. What we find that helps tremendously with the waits is having something to do in line. Mad libs, play on an iPad or phone, I Spy.... basically we keep our minds busy so we don't notice the wait as much.

The "have something to do in line" advice doesn't work for all kids. If your son has a medical condition, just explain his needs at guest services. If the cast member doesn't seem to understand then ask for a supervisor. Just be nice and calm and it will work out for you.

The "have something to do in line" advice doesn't work for all kids. If your son has a medical condition, just explain his needs at guest services. If the cast member doesn't seem to understand then ask for a supervisor. Just be nice and calm and it will work out for you.
No, it doesn't. But everyone asking for a DAS won't receive one, so offering advice to help is always nice.

No, it doesn't work with all kids. But OP stated her kid has ADHD and it is a proven technique that parents of kids with ADHD have successfully been implementing for years. The trick is finding the right behavior modifiers for the specific child.

I've known several people who thought they'd get a GAC in the past for ADHD symptoms and were denied. When you consider that statistically 1 in 10 kids in the park will have ADHD the odds of every one of those getting a DAS are slim. And if they all did it would put a real dent in the system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter