DAS Wait Time Dilemma

Erin1213

Earning My Ears
I'm part of the Liner Community on Touringplans. On their site, they post both Disney's posted wait time and an estimated wait time based on submitted by thousands of users. Disney is known for inflating wait times to disperse guests. I was looking at Barnstormer at 6:21 and the posted wait was 45 minutes. So, I started a timer on my phone. One minute later it dropped to 30 minutes, then at 6:50 it changed to 35 minutes. So now comes the big dilemma issue and I really don't think there's a right answer or a wrong answer, just something to think about. Do you think there is any possibility of getting a return time based on an estimated wait, since Disney wait time fluctuates so much or just let it go and deal with posted times whatever they may be.

I get your point that the posted waits are not always accurate. But I disagree that it poses any kind of dilemma related to DAS.

To that end, I think there is a “right” answer — if you want a DAS return time, it goes by WDW’s posted wait time as that’s how the system works. I believe CMs may have some leniency based on choices provided on the screen, but they aren’t going to adjust for every guest who shows up with a different wait-time app claiming the posted time is not accurate. That would end up as a free for all with everyone asking for something different.

Enjoy your vacation!

I agree with lanejudy that there is a right answer to this question. It's WDW's system and WDW's estimated wait times. The protocol is DAS return times are determined by current, WDW posted estimates. I agree with the other PP's. I think it will be fruitless to try to negotiate shorter wait times based on a third-party app.

Not sure what the "dilemma" really is?
You ask for a return time and they give it to you based on the posted wait time.
They are not going to say oh sure I'll base it off of a guest submitted app.

To clarify, I wouldn't have asked for a wait time based on a third party app. However, I don't think it's wrong to ask for an adjustment to the DAS return if a minute later the wait time drops significantly and I'm still in the area.

To clarify, I wouldn't have asked for a wait time based on a third party app. However, I don't think it's wrong to ask for an adjustment to the DAS return if a minute later the wait time drops significantly and I'm still in the area.

I think it’s wrong, but no reason we can agree to disagree. And in your OP, you did mention getting a new time based on the estimated wait time, not on the posted wait time.

Plus, I thought you always go get the return time and then go back to your husband and son...or do I have you mixed up with another poster?

I'm part of the Liner Community on Touringplans. On their site, they post both Disney's posted wait time and an estimated wait time based on submitted by thousands of users. Disney is known for inflating wait times to disperse guests. I was looking at Barnstormer at 6:21 and the posted wait was 45 minutes. So, I started a timer on my phone. One minute later it dropped to 30 minutes, then at 6:50 it changed to 35 minutes. So now comes the big dilemma issue and I really don't think there's a right answer or a wrong answer, just something to think about. Do you think there is any possibility of getting a return time based on an estimated wait, since Disney wait time fluctuates so much or just let it go and deal with posted times whatever they may be.

Disney has the right to give you any return time they feel like. I think you're believing you have some kind of right to have a say in that time. You don't. You could cancel your DAS and then go ask for a new return time though. But if it has gone up in that time, that's your problem, KWIM?

Your original post is very confusing. It certainly seems as if you asked if there was a possibility of getting a return time based on an app's estimated wait. In answer to your clarifying statement, yes, you could certainly go back and ask for an adjustment to the return time if the ride standby time drops. As PP noted, they'll simply cancel your initial return time and issue another. Or, just go about your day and try to find another fun thing to do until your initial return time rolls around. We typically get a DAS return as soon as we walk into the park and then start our FP+. I'll then get other DAS returns between FP+ or right before a meal. That way, we always have something to do while we wait for the return time to open.

Are you willing to go back a second time, to add five minutes to your return time when the wait time increases? And a third, fourth, fifth time to update it again and again - even when the standby time gots longer?

... So now comes the big dilemma issue and I really don't think there's a right answer or a wrong answer, just something to think about...
I'm not sure I understand what the "big dilemma" is here: that you are given a DAS return time which you think should be shorter? That doesn't sound like a dilemma, but a perception of the DAS holder.

Use the DAS return time you are given and use the lines app to ride something that has an inflated wait time in the meantime.
Completely agree with this. The time wasted fretting over this could be used to do something fun.

Last edited:
30 min vs 45 min???? You are going to waste your time at Disney hovering over an ap then arguing with at CM....there went your 15 extra minutes!

Take the 45 and sit back and enjoy!

Otherwise I’m going to think you are someone who is abusing the DAS and will end up getting that program cancelled

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter