DAS with a ticketless child

RamblinWreck

DIS Veteran
I’m almost afraid to ask this question because of a couple hot button issues it could potentially get people going on.

My wife and I are DVC members and have been taking our kids to Disney once per year for the last 4 years.

Our BIL and SIL, who have a 2 year old, are going to join us this year. (They also joined us 3 years ago, but didn’t have a kid yet).

The SIL during the trip 3 years ago was on the DAS and intends to be again.

One thing I’m worried about, their kid is massive. Like. He was over 10 pounds when he was born and he’s currently significantly bigger than my 4 year old daughter (he wears 5T clothes).

We’ve been joking about how every morning they’re going to get a hard time at the front gate for trying to pass a 5 year old off as a 2 year old.

But it’s just occurring to me now that my SIL might have to deal with scrutiny every time she boards a ride, since the kid won’t have a ticket to scan, which would make for an unpleasant experience.

Does anyone have any experience with anything similar to this? Am I worried for no reason?

Am I worried for no reason?
I'm hoping some people have helpful experience for you, but perfectly normal to want to keep stress levels low.

I have No personal experience with this — but I would probably bring a copy of the birth certificate (or have it on a phone) just to have as paperwork at the gate, as a backup plan in case of a challenge?

Also, maybe You can call Guest Services ahead of time, explain the situation and ask if the child can be issued their own (free) ticket to add them to her DAS boardings just to reduce the chance of making parents or child feel awkward at boardings due to the child's "apparent" age ... Disney used to be quite accommodating to assure disabled, or simply special, guests feel fully accepted - but try not to over react (remember the more bees with honey phrase lol) if it takes some effort on your part, since soooooo many people took advantage of Disney's policies, now it's a bit harder for Cast Members not to be more jaded and skeptical.

Last edited:
A frequent question on the Disney for Families board is about tall/big 2-yr-olds. I don’t think I’ve seen a single report of needing to prove the child’s age. If asked, the parents simply need to say he is 2.
Agree with lanejudy. I have seen accounts of CMs asking the child how old he/she is if there is question when entering the park. But, those kinds of reports are not common and most 2 year olds won't be mistaken for a 5 yr old once someone talks to them

From talks with Cast Members I'm pretty sure you'll need to go to Guest Services (not the umbrellas, the actual building) where they will indeed print a ticket for the kiddo and you can use that ticket to add him to SIL's DAS. Everything should work the same from there.

A 2-yr-old who is the DAS-holder would get a ticket issued.

A 2-yr-old who is simply a member of the party should not need a ticket, and Guest Relations may not issue one even if requested.
Wouldn't they? I was under the impression they counted on the DAS + 5 guests. Kinda like how infants count on ADRs.

Wouldn't they? I was under the impression they counted on the DAS + 5 guests. Kinda like how infants count on ADRs.
Not to my knowledge. Infants count on ADRs for restaurant fire code occupancy, which is a whole different issue.
  • Infants (or children under age 3) at WDW do not need a ticket to enter the parks. They are a special "guest of Mickey."
  • Like the previous FP program, they do not need a Genie+; they ride with the parent/adult.
  • Assuming the little one is tall enough, they do not need an ILL$. Though it is probably pretty rare for a 2-yr-old to meet the height requirement for most ILL$; I think 38" is the shortest ILL$.
  • Similarly, they do not need a DAS Return Time. If there is a seating issue with the count, the CM will manage it at the ride load. However it is good to keep in mind that even a small child may not be allowed to ride on a lap for many attractions even with no height restriction and will thus occupy a seat (or space if bench seating).

A child with a disability who qualifies for the DAS themselves may be issued a ticket to attach the DAS, or the DAS may be attached to a parent. I believe it depends on the circumstances.

From talks with Cast Members I'm pretty sure you'll need to go to Guest Services (not the umbrellas, the actual building) where they will indeed print a ticket for the kiddo and you can use that ticket to add him to SIL's DAS. Everything should work the same from there.
They issue a 'non-ticket ticket' for children under the age of 2 when the child is the DAS registered person. I've not heard of anything being issued to a child under 2 for any other reason. I think if they did issue one, it would confuse things more than clarify

Not to my knowledge. Infants count on ADRs for restaurant fire code occupancy, which is a whole different issue.
A child with a disability who qualifies for the DAS themselves may be issued a ticket to attach the DAS, or the DAS may be attached to a parent. I believe it depends on the circumstances.

They issue a 'non-ticket ticket' for children under the age of 2 when the child is the DAS registered person. I've not heard of anything being issued to a child under 2 for any other reason. I think if they did issue one, it would confuse things more than clarify

Gotcha! I probably misunderstood the CM then. Thank you both for explaining :)

Does anyone have any experience with anything similar to this? Am I worried for no reason?
Not recent, but when last my extended family travelled with a two-year old, the place we ran into an issue was the airport. I don't recall the exact issue, but I am certain that having proof of age proved important. I don't think the child was flying as a lap child either.

One easy way to do this is to have a digital image of the child's birth certificate. Another acceptable form of ID- at the time of the above travel- was to have a copy of the child's vaccination record. These days, it is easy to take a digital photo, and/or to have an electronic copy of either/both handy. It is good idea to carry the vaccine record anyhow, if the child ever gets sick, and needs a sick visit to a clinic, the information is readily on hand.

Just looked up Southwest's page and it says ID for a lap child must be printed photocopy of birth cert, passport, or gov't issued ID for a lap child. TSA says children don't need any ID to fly domestically, only international. Even still, it is a good idea to have ID for the child, in case there was ever any question that the parents are the parents. Having a copy/photo of birth certificate = easy proof, IMO.

Not recent, but when last my extended family travelled with a two-year old, the place we ran into an issue was the airport. I don't recall the exact issue, but I am certain that having proof of age proved important. I don't think the child was flying as a lap child either.

One easy way to do this is to have a digital image of the child's birth certificate. Another acceptable form of ID- at the time of the above travel- was to have a copy of the child's vaccination record. These days, it is easy to take a digital photo, and/or to have an electronic copy of either/both handy. It is good idea to carry the vaccine record anyhow, if the child ever gets sick, and needs a sick visit to a clinic, the information is readily on hand.

Just looked up Southwest's page and it says ID for a lap child must be printed photocopy of birth cert, passport, or gov't issued ID for a lap child. TSA says children don't need any ID to fly domestically, only international. Even still, it is a good idea to have ID for the child, in case there was ever any question that the parents are the parents. Having a copy/photo of birth certificate = easy proof, IMO.
Dumb question but was that flight during COVID? Because 2 and under didn’t have to wear masks. Child has to be under 2 to be a lap child

Thanks everyone for the good info!

You've definitely mentioned some things I didn't know about and wouldn't have thought of.

Plus, when the CM addresses the child, won’t it be obvious they are still young?
A 2-year old usually acts like a 2-yr old.
Yes, I'm just concerned that this process would get old quickly when having to do it every time you get in line for a ride!

I have a tall 2 year old boy and an older son who uses DAS. He's almost 3 now and in size 5/6, but was a 5T when we went last summer. We never had a problem, no one ever questioned him or us in lines. He was tall enough for Slinky Dog and Millennium Falcon despite being a young 2 year old at the time. We got stopped to get his height measured multiple times when we rode things with a height requirement, but they still never questioned his age/him not having a ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter