• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Daughter In A Boot

I called Disney and they said they do have complimentary wheelchairs in the parking lots for us to use to push her to the entrance.
Yes, they do -- except when they don't. The parking lot wheelchairs are largely dependent on CM availability to retrieve the chairs from the entrance and take them back out to the parking lot. Ditto for return to your car when ready to leave. There are no trams running right now, and just last night I read a report of someone who had to park near the race track with approx. 2 mile walk from the car to the TTC -- I don't know how accurate that distance is but it is a hike and long walk in the heat.

If you really prefer to rent in the parks, you may want to have someone drop your DD off and then circle back to park, especially at MK. However, I highly recommend an offsite wheelchair rental so you have it to/from the car and around the resort if needed. It is likely to be less expensive and less time-consuming each day because you'll be able to just "go" once through the tapstiles without the extra stop.

My daughter broke her ankle a few days before going to Disney, she ended up in a cast and we used a wheelchair for her. It wasn’t too bad pushing her around, but if you are going on FOP, that line is an uphill beast pushing someone in a wheelchair. I got my workout in for sure. All of the cast members were amazing and it was one of the most magical trips we went on.

My daughter has knee issues and ended up in a wheelchair on one of our trips. I would recommend renting one- the ones they rent are good for the parks- good sized wheels and easier to maneuver. When you go to the bus/parking lot- you have to turn yours in but when you do- they have others you can use and leave at the bus stop- we did this daily because that walk can be long as well.
Good luck!

I wouldn't depend on Disney having any of the complimentary wheelchairs. Buy or rent one so that you know you have it. What is your plan if you get to where the complimentary ones are, and they are gone?

I once broke my foot AT WDW! In addition to the wheelchair advice, I also recommend taking pain relievers on a schedule instead of waiting until the pain actually happens. Elevate the foot when possible. She may find it helpful to have a cane or crutch to get in and out of low boat rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, but if there are enough strong family members to help, it might not be needed.

There’s almost always a CM stationed outside of attractions to tell you what special instructions you’ll need for accessibility.

Thank you for the responses! I called Disney and they said they do have complimentary wheelchairs in the parking lots for us to use to push her to the entrance. Then we can rent a wheelchair at each park.
what is your plan if you arrive at MK/TTC parking and there is no wheelchair there? cant send someone to park and get one then come back and get you. there is no trams to ferry/monorail. yes there is supposed wheelchairs but if there is no CM to bring back to parking lot there very well not be any. and I have never seen any in parking lots other than in the handicapped area/hang tag needed. I would have a plan B in case needed even with what phone CM said. also what happens at resort if you have a walk to your car or buses or transportation you plan to use or on the way back to your room

You still have to get through the airports and are out and active all day on rides and such.

None of this is worth it if her injury does not heal properly.

Id think about asking the doctor about rescheduling, I’d think it should be the doctor’s call.

I would rent a wheelchair offsite for her. That way you can have the wheelchair when getting to/from the parking lot or bus, around the resort, and in Disney Springs. It is also less expensive to rent offsite. Head over to the disABILITIES forum to get a list of vendors and more specific advice!

I wouldn't depend on Disney having any of the complimentary wheelchairs. Buy or rent one so that you know you have it. What is your plan if you get to where the complimentary ones are, and they are gone?
As I understand it, Disney only offers complimentary wheelchairs to get you from the parking lot to the front gate. From there, you have to rent one. I would expect them to have plenty available for rent.

Since you asked about trams, I’m assuming you are driving. Definitely look into buying a cheap used wheelchair. I bought one off FB marketplace for less than $50 ( which is about what it costs to rent for one day at Disney, even though you get a portion of that back) I bought a bag to go on the back and it’s come with me to Disney in 4 trips. Recently, I was at an auction and was able to purchase a used scooter and hauler, again for much less than it would have been to rent for a week. It removed a level of anxiety knowing it’s there when you need it. And you don’t have to take the time to get it and return it each day at the parks.

As I understand it, Disney only offers complimentary wheelchairs to get you from the parking lot to the front gate. From there, you have to rent one. I would expect them to have plenty available for rent.

And I know many times in the past the little areas where they keep those wheelchairs have been empty. You can't depend on getting one.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the parking lot trams are running yet.

Kids are much more resilient than adults. My 10 year old son had a severe ankle sprain and ran around Europe for a week with his boot. It didn't hinder him in any way. Many adults told me he'd never be able to handle the subway systems and escalators. With that said, if you rent a wheelchair and she doesn't want to use it, you can carry your belongings on it. :)

My 10 year old son had a severe ankle sprain and ran around Europe for a week with his boot. It didn't hinder him in any way. Many adults told me he'd never be able to handle the subway systems and escalators.

This isn't about whether he is wincing in pain or "handling it." This is about how an injury heals and whether this is a good idea for whatever injury OP is dealing with. That would be the most important consideration to me, and it's not even in this whole discussion.

I live in FL and realize it is somewhat cool right now

our of genuine curiosity what does a Floridian consider "cool" temps? In reading what to pack for parks I keep coming across suggestions to pack a jacket for cool evenings... I've only been to Florida 3x but I only remember consistently overwhelming heat...this was always in either January or Sept. of course being Canadian I imagine my idea of cool temps is much different lol

our of genuine curiosity what does a Floridian consider "cool" temps? In reading what to pack for parks I keep coming across suggestions to pack a jacket for cool evenings... I've only been to Florida 3x but I only remember consistently overwhelming heat...this was always in either January or Sept. of course being Canadian I imagine my idea of cool temps is much different lol

I've lived here for 3 years and have only worn my winter coat from the Northeast, a light jacket twice and a light jacket that my wife got me from Epcot once (but I only wore it because I like it so much). Days start out "cool" maybe 60 degrees which is cold for us now that we've acclimated, days can range from comfortable to hot and humid and nights turn very pleasant with a cooling breeze that is a reprieve.

So to answer, you won't need a jacket or coat. A spirit jersey or sweatshirt will be more than sufficient. And again, the cool temps at night are a welcome relief. Tonight at 8:00 PM, it is 76 degrees F. The low is going to be 69.

Just keep in mind that my perceptions come entirely from living in a place for 37 years that had frigid winters and I had to snowplow a LOT! You'll be good. Just bear in mind conventional wisdom... sometimes things go sidewise and that extra layer may be a godsend. You can always take off, but if you don't have it, you'll pay Disney a lot of money for a layer you may not want at an exorbitant cost.

I’m an ex Yankee( grew up in CNY where we win the Golden Snowball most years).

i consider under 60 cool. But humidity, cloud cover and precipitation determine which outerwear I use. For those not used to it, humidity adds 15-20 degrees worth of perceived temperatures.

I've lived here for 3 years and have only worn my winter coat from the Northeast, a light jacket twice and a light jacket that my wife got me from Epcot once (but I only wore it because I like it so much). Days start out "cool" maybe 60 degrees which is cold for us now that we've acclimated, days can range from comfortable to hot and humid and nights turn very pleasant with a cooling breeze that is a reprieve.

So to answer, you won't need a jacket or coat. A spirit jersey or sweatshirt will be more than sufficient. And again, the cool temps at night are a welcome relief. Tonight at 8:00 PM, it is 76 degrees F. The low is going to be 69.

Just keep in mind that my perceptions come entirely from living in a place for 37 years that had frigid winters and I had to snowplow a LOT! You'll be good. Just bear in mind conventional wisdom... sometimes things go sidewise and that extra layer may be a godsend. You can always take off, but if you don't have it, you'll pay Disney a lot of money for a layer you may not want at an exorbitant cost.
I'm in South eastern Ontario and here 76 is a very hot day with 69 being considered "gorgeous" haha. but we have NOTHING like Florida humidity, I remember we would step out of our hotel room and my glasses would fog up in about 10 seconds haha

My daughter broke her ankle a few days before going to Disney, she ended up in a cast and we used a wheelchair for her. It wasn’t too bad pushing her around, but if you are going on FOP, that line is an uphill beast pushing someone in a wheelchair. I got my workout in for sure. All of the cast members were amazing and it was one of the most magical trips we went on.

Yeah, the one time I went to WDW in a manual wheelchair, I got a real education on just how many steep hills and ramps, and areas of uneven paving, there are in the parks. The wheelchair brakes nearly failed when the Soarin’ queue came to a stop halfway up a super-high ramp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter