Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Hey all, I have a reservation I rented through David’s for an 8/7 check-in date. They reached out to me today to say the renters are cancelling and to see if I would re-rent for the $2/ pt. What happens if no one bites for the $9 special? Could I change the names 48-72 hours before check in and use it? The emails confirmed I’ll receive my 30% check-in amount. Just curious what becomes of the points if no one shows up.

So I can tell you that I reached out to David's and asked if my reservations in December could be re-rented because we would rather not travel. They agreed (if the owner agrees) at a cost of $3 pp. $2 of which I see will go to the owner. I wouldn't bank on these "cancelled" reservations being sold off for $9 a point.

If they can't be re-rented, and if the border is open and we can get travel insurance depending on the situation in the USA we may go as it's still our reservation that we paid for and December is a long way from now and it's impossible to say how things will look. There's too many unknowns to make a final decision now... it's just ideally we would cancel and not have to think about it.

If something happens to the reservation outside of the points being re-rented I'm asking for 100% of my money back and I think they will ask the same from you. So.... I really don't think you should change anything.

I know your reservation is much sooner so there are fewer unknowns but I think my point stands regardless.

My only concern with re-renting is the new contracts he has put in place. Did anyone have any luck getting him to agree that it would still fall under the old contract? Do I trust him even if he agrees? Refunding is not really an option for us as we are Canadian and will get killed with the current exchange rate. Uggg. What a situation. This is the first and last time I ever rent out our points.

To clarify, if you 're-rent' by changing the name on the existing reservation, your owner's contract is not changed. You simply get 2$ per point bonus. The new renter will have the 'new' renters contract, with "force majeur' terms and the other changes.

I just did this yesterday -- there was no new contract for me, just the 2$ per point bonus payment.

Unfortunately I can’t just change a name as the resort will be closed over the time of the reservation. Will it still be the same scenario if he completely re-rents my points for another time? If I can maintain my old contract I may be ok with it.

To clarify, if you 're-rent' by changing the name on the existing reservation, your owner's contract is not changed. You simply get 2$ per point bonus. The new renter will have the 'new' renters contract, with "force majeur' terms and the other changes.

I just did this yesterday -- there was no new contract for me, just the 2$ per point bonus payment.

Owner contract does not change, but was told by the broker that if another situation happens, the owner is required to refund the money per the new contract with renter..

So, it seems there has been different messages to different owners, just an FyI

update: I straight up asked if they cannot re-rent the points if I can have them back at 72 hours before check-in To try and save them and release them from paying me the 30% guaranteed. we shall see.

update: I straight up asked if they cannot re-rent the points if I can have them back at 72 hours before check-in To try and save them and release them from paying me the 30% guaranteed. we shall see.

That would be so unfair to the renter. If you want the points give back the money, or enjoy the money and say goodbye to the points.

My question is has any owner received the 30% if the guest has not checked in during COVID if they didn't agree to re-rent the points?

Unfortunately I can’t just change a name as the resort will be closed over the time of the reservation. Will it still be the same scenario if he completely re-rents my points for another time? If I can maintain my old contract I may be ok with it.

I don't know the answer to that, but I seem to recall a poster saying that during back and forth with David's, they did end up agreeing that the old owner contract terms would apply in this situation.

Owner contract does not change, but was told by the broker that if another situation happens, the owner is required to refund the money per the new contract with renter..

So, it seems there has been different messages to different owners, just an FyI

Good thing my reservation is only a few days away so I'm safe! :)

That would be so unfair to the renter. If you want the points give back the money, or enjoy the money and say goodbye to the points.
The renter already canceled and was given a voucher. The listing is up for re-renting. I am not optimistic someone is going to want to rent it. It is unlikely anyone will use these points.

Reactions: cm8
The renter already canceled and was given a voucher. The listing is up for re-renting. I am not optimistic someone is going to want to rent it. It is unlikely anyone will use these points.
My understanding is that the renters whose resorts are open and who simply do not want to go only get a voucher if the reservation re-rents, is this not correct?

they were cryptic about what is being given to the renters who have voluntarily cancelled. I’m keeping the reservation posted for re-rent but there’s way more inventory on that market then demand. So if it doesn’t re-rent, no voucher, and I am only looking to modify and rescind it if done on the last day to do so. Dvc member services said NOW, at 3-days/72-hours before check-in, you can cancel and not have holding. My thing is if it’s not re-rented then, the points shouldn’t be wasted. I fulfilled my side of the contract by making the reservation.

they were cryptic about what is being given to the renters who have voluntarily cancelled. I’m keeping the reservation posted for re-rent but there’s way more inventory on that market then demand. So if it doesn’t re-rent, no voucher, and I am only looking to modify and rescind it if done on the last day to do so. Dvc member services said NOW, at 3-days/72-hours before check-in, you can cancel and not have holding. My thing is if it’s not re-rented then, the points shouldn’t be wasted. I fulfilled my side of the contract by making the reservation.

I happen to agree with you. The contracts always said if the renter cancels, it is non refundable.

I know this may be something never considered, but I think an owner who as agreed to rent it to someone else has made concessions.

I have shared already if it were me, I’d offer the 30% I am owed to the renter and be allowed to keep points it hasn’t been rented within a day or two of check in.

Exactly. Usually it’s a moot point as DVC is, rightfully, not giving us owners the option to return the points to inventory this late and forego holding. That is why I think brokers need to be creative here to keep business from both sides.

I’ve tried the keep 30% with them and they ignored me and sent the same rental request hence we are in a break ! I have several issues with them and they are not being resolved so we will just wait
As far as I’m concerned I upheld my end if contract - David is the end that is changing and breaking contracts without checking with other parties of the contract - so issue will be on his end not mine

This isn't something david's is doing. IF the reservation re-rents you can choose either a voucher or a refund less a $3 per point re-stocking fee. If the reservation doesn't re-rent, it's still your reservation and you you get nothing except, you know, the reservation.

I happen to agree with you. The contracts always said if the renter cancels, it is non refundable.

As far as the reservation is concerned, no one's cancelled anything, they just said they don't want to go and are asking to re-rent the points. For all the owner knows if the renter isn't able to re-rent the points they might end up going.

If you cancel the reservation before the date, you'll need to refund David's because now you've breached the original contract

Yes if no one has grabbed your reservation with 72 hours to go, no one will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter