Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Yeah, I’m not confident either. But, I still think that if an owner refunds, those funds belong to the renter, They should be given the choice of a travel credit or the money IF the owner actual refunds,

If the owner offers to rebook, even for another renter, then I can see the renter getting the credit. But a renter shouldn’t be given a credit when the owner their reservation was with has actually provided a refund.

Shady in my book. And, I’d venture to guess the renter is not told the owner Sent money back

Oh I agree completely. Between that and the Facebook shenanigans, there's no confidence that they can be trusted. I understand why it's happening though. He has the "no refunds" clause to fall back on and can act like he's doing them a favor with the rebook. The question will be, will he have enough liquidity to cover the rebooks on the ones with owners who don't refund/rebook. If he does, maybe he just survives this.

I don't understand why David's is telling the renters that it will takes weeks to provide them with the details of their credit. They keep saying they are overwhelmed with emails, but when each email David's sends only provides vague answers, the result is just more emails coming right back to them!

I think it is pretty clear. He's getting a bunch of chargebacks right now (and more that are going to come in) and doesn't have enough cash on hand to pay them. So he needs the money from the owner to cover those chargebacks and stay afloat. That leaves no money to honor this travel voucher right now. The last thing he can afford is a bunch of people saying "I'll go on and use my voucher for a trip in January" (or whenever) because then he'd ALSO now have to pay for those points which he can't do right now. It is also likely these travel credits are also going to be SUPER limited and once renters see the details and realize "I can't use this" then bang more chargebacks. Right now he's trying to appease renters with this voucher but I don't think the reality is going to be to their liking. So giving details and even allowing these vouchers to be used right now he just can't do.

David's is building a house of cards right now. He's banking on being able to get enough owners to return the 70% and enough renters not to be able to use the vouchers (and not chargeback).

All speculation but it is the scenario that makes the most sense.

So, ultimately, I don't blame David's at all for taking the travel credit approach. However, should I personally find myself in the position of having to decide, I would lean towards asking for a full refund, and if/when that is denied, attempting the charge back approach.

I get why they are doing it as well. I'm neither a renter or an owner and am following this thread out of interest. The problem I have David's stance here is that this was an unusual situation and nobody deliberately did anything wrong. However David's is asking renters to sactifice by getting some nebuloud credit they may or may not be able to use and he's asking owners to sacrifice by keeping their 30% and asking for 70% back. Nowhere is David saying he's giving anything up. If David's mentioned he was giving up half his commission or something that would do a long way but he's asking everybody else to sacrifice while he gets to keep all the money. I understand why he's doing it (likely has no choice) but i don't like the tactic. In the end he's likely going to wind up screwing both owners and renters.

I think it is pretty clear. He's getting a bunch of chargebacks right now (and more that are going to come in) and doesn't have enough cash on hand to pay them. So he needs the money from the owner to cover those chargebacks and stay afloat. That leaves no money to honor this travel voucher right now. The last thing he can afford is a bunch of people saying "I'll go on and use my voucher for a trip in January" (or whenever) because then he'd ALSO now have to pay for those points which he can't do right now. It is also likely these travel credits are also going to be SUPER limited and once renters see the details and realize "I can't use this" then bang more chargebacks. Right now he's trying to appease renters with this voucher but I don't think the reality is going to be to their liking. So giving details and even allowing these vouchers to be used right now he just can't do.

David's is building a house of cards right now. He's banking on being able to get enough owners to return the 70% and enough renters not to be able to use the vouchers (and not chargeback).

All speculation but it is the scenario that makes the most sense.
Sorry. Im trying to read older post to get caught up to date but what are charge backs???

Thanks

Sorry. Im trying to read older post to get caught up to date but what are charge backs???

Thanks

If you order something with a credit card and the product isn't delivered satisfactorally you can dispute the charge with the credit card company. One advantage of using a CC. This is referred to as a chargeback.

If I rented points during this period the resorts are shut down, I wouldn't wait on this credit from David. I'd be calling my credit card company today.

Thank you for the advice. What would you do about gift cards used to purchase the dining plan??

Thank you for the advice. What would you do about gift cards used to purchase the dining plan??

The dining plan should be cancelled with the resort reservation but send an email to David's and remind him to contact the DVC owner to cancel the dining plan independently, if possible. As soon as the refunds post to the gift cards, TRANSFER the money to new gift cards.

The dining plan should be cancelled with the resort reservation but send an email to David's and remind him to contact the DVC owner to cancel the dining plan independently, if possible. As soon as the refunds post to the gift cards, TRANSFER the money to new gift cards.

I thought I read somewhere where refunds to gift card were being done by issuing NEW gift cards since people may not still have the original gift cards anymore. I assume that card would go to the owner?

I thought I read somewhere where refunds to gift card were being done by issuing NEW gift cards since people may not still have the original gift cards anymore. I assume that card would go to the owner?

They only provide new gift cards if someone tells them - when cancelling the plan - that they no longer have the original gift cards in their possession. That would typically happen when cancelling via phone. If online, no one to talk to, so it'll go back to the original form of payment.

One of my renters paid for their dining plan with gift cards I was told my DVC to advise them to hold onto their gift cards in case anything happens (surprise ) I sent the advise along to David’s when I told them I had booked their dining.

I had a March trip that was cancelled that I had rented points through David’s. Well since renting the points I actually became an owner. I asked David’s if the owner of my rented points would either do a transfer or rebook and I would bank my points. Not once has he told me if the owners would be willing to do either. I don’t want my owner to have to give any money back. Really wish I could work directly with owner.

I had a March trip that was cancelled that I had rented points through David’s. Well since renting the points I actually became an owner. I asked David’s if the owner of my rented points would either do a transfer or rebook and I would bank my points. Not once has he told me if the owners would be willing to do either. I don’t want my owner to have to give any money back. Really wish I could work directly with owner.

Wait so he's not even getting through March reservations yet?? Wonder what they do all day? Post pictures of Disney on Facebook? Haha

Based on being told weeks to sort out this voucher thing, charge back seems better bet...

Wait so he's not even getting through March reservations yet?? Wonder what they do all day? Post pictures of Disney on Facebook? Haha

Based on being told weeks to sort out this voucher thing, charge back seems better bet...

I have a March reservation, check in day was supposed to be today. The latest thing I got from them was the “amazing” travel credit e-mail that they sent out to all renters on Thursday. I have not heard anything further. I did e-mail them this morning but received no response.

I have a March reservation, check in day was supposed to be today. The latest thing I got from them was the “amazing” travel credit e-mail that they sent out to all renters on Thursday. I have not heard anything further. I did e-mail them this morning but received no response.

Until they have the details of the credit (likely a month or two away) that is probably all you'll hear.

If David is asking owners to sacrifice and renters to sacrifice, without giving up any of his own 30%, then that is bad business. I have never used David's but I think he provides a needed marketplace to connect DVC owners with renters. That is worth something unless the connection itself becomes worthless, for example if renters can't take the trips due to external forces.

I have rented from individuals and I rent some of our points out most years as well. We had some renters affected by the closing, and I worked with all of them to hunt down new dates that worked for them in the fall and beyond. In some cases I refunded points if the new reservation required less than the old points -- one reservation cost more by a few points and I borrowed in to make that one happen. In another case I banked points into my next UY and booked into the future for the renters.

That's called servicing the reservation and I would a "professional" to do the same.

If David is asking owners to sacrifice and renters to sacrifice, without giving up any of his own 30%, then that is bad business. I have never used David's but I think he provides a needed marketplace to connect DVC owners with renters. That is worth something unless the connection itself becomes worthless, for example if renters can't take the trips due to external forces.

I have rented from individuals and I rent some of our points out most years as well. We had some renters affected by the closing, and I worked with all of them to hunt down new dates that worked for them in the fall and beyond. In some cases I refunded points if the new reservation required less than the old points -- one reservation cost more by a few points and I borrowed in to make that one happen. In another case I banked points into my next UY and booked into the future for the renters.

That's called servicing the reservation and I would a "professional" to do the same.

I think the problem is some owners are probably saying "too bad, no refunds" and some renters have done chargebacks. If everyone was like you and in your points situation, this thread probably doesn't exist.

I emailed David and said that I was willing to return all the funds but in return I wanted a letter written up that I'm terminated from any liability with the renter and David and I would need signatures for both parties. I did that on Sunday afternoon and I haven't received a response back. I have 3 rentals out there. I'm willing to give the money back but I'd prefer to give it to the renter. I want to contact the renters but I'm afraid they will be upset or not willing to work with me. I can only give back what he gave me. I don't know what to do and the response from David's company is vague. Every email is responded with a vague response. I talked to a lawyer neighbor about it but he was like this is new situation. Who knows what the right legal thing to do? Do you think renters want to be contacted?

I emailed David and said that I was willing to return all the funds but in return I wanted a letter written up that I'm terminated from any liability with the renter and David and I would need signatures for both parties. I did that on Sunday afternoon and I haven't received a response back. I have 3 rentals out there. I'm willing to give the money back but I'd prefer to give it to the renter. I want to contact the renters but I'm afraid they will be upset or not willing to work with me. I can only give back what he gave me. I don't know what to do and the response from David's company is vague. Every email is responded with a vague response. I talked to a lawyer neighbor about it but he was like this is new situation. Who knows what the right legal thing to do? Do you think renters want to be contacted?

does your contract with David prohibit you from contacting the renters directly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter