Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

It would be great if you could copy and past the letter. IMO that is exactly correct as the contracts currently exist. Although it might, depending on the expiration of the dates seem harsh and unfair to the renters.
DIsney have cancelled the reservation I had for renters and returned points to me.
David’s have advised as far as they are concerned I have completed my contractual obligations to them, regardless of me re renting the points or not. I am not required to make any refund. Any dispute with the renter will between them and I have no liability.

I think David’s is going to go under, at least in its current form. He may be back with a new company name and new contract, and maybe new business practices. But I think the vouchers will be worthless.

DIsney have cancelled the reservation I had for renters and returned points to me.
David’s have advised as far as they are concerned I have completed my contractual obligations to them, regardless of me re renting the points or not. I am not required to make any refund. Any dispute with the renter will between them and I have no liability.
What is the use year of your points and do they expire soon? Maybe that is why because David's knows that points are not really useable to them.

I think David’s is going to go under, at least in its current form. He may be back with a new company name and new contract, and maybe new business practices. But I think the vouchers will be worthless.

Especially based on what McCrea said above... Disney refunded their points and they got to keep the money. No way David can produce vouchers out of thin air. Whether or not that actually fulfills ones obligation might be subject to an actual lawyer not one of David's staff members is another issue. Best course for renter is chargeback and citing this action. Proof vouchers will end up worthless if owners get to eat and keep cake.

Especially based on what McCrea said above... Disney refunded their points and they got to keep the money. No way David can produce vouchers out of thin air. Whether or not that actually fulfills ones obligation might be subject to an actual lawyer not one of David's staff members is another issue. Best course for renter is chargeback and citing this action. Proof vouchers will end up worthless if owners get to eat and keep cake.
I don’t want to make anything from this. The update makes it more likely I will agree to re-rent the points.

I just can't see people jumping to rent knowing they'd only get back 47% if the resort closed. To be honest, I know a lot of people who outright have stated they won't rent anymore because of this.

Disney had shut down three times in its history, each time for one day. We are looking at an unprecedented closure of at least 1.5 months. The world is going to get better at responding if this happens again.

People have short memories. In a couple years, do you rent to get the big discount vs cash rate, or do you plan on the unprecedented event of extended closure happening again?

I agre with another poster that the owners fee probably need to go up to get owners to give him points to rent. Apparently the $4.5 point broker premium doens’t protect me all that much after all. I am going to need more money from him up front. Otherwise I will just go back to the rent / trade board myself.

Wow....I'm impressed that you were able to receive responses from them.....multiple times! I'm so tired of reaching out and receiving NOTHING in response. I would even take a "We received your message. Thanks for rebooking your renter. We'll get the updated rental agreement out to you within the next week." Seriously....I know they're insanely busy. Yet, they have someone posting crap on their Facebook page. I posted a comment about not being able to reach anyone and it was promptly deleted. Yes, I realize that probably wasn't the place to put a post like that, which had nothing to do with the original post, but I hoped it would at least motivate someone to respond to me. Nothing. I've really been trying to give David's the benefit of the doubt......understanding their plight.....but I'm losing faith.

Do you have a Comcast email? If so, David’s does not receive them. This happened several months ago, and apparently their IT can’t find a fix for it.

If anyone is trying to reach David’s with a Comcast email, save yourselves the headache and use another email :)

Disney had shut down three times in its history, each time for one day. We are looking at an unprecedented closure of at least 1.5 months. The world is going to get better at responding if this happens again.

People have short memories. In a couple years, do you rent to get the big discount vs cash rate, or do you plan on the unprecedented event of extended closure happening again?

I agre with another poster that the owners fee probably need to go up to get owners to give him points to rent. Apparently the $4.5 point broker premium doens’t protect me all that much after all. I am going to need more money from him up front. Otherwise I will just go back to the rent / trade board myself.
The message for both owners and renters isn’t going to be not to rent.

No,

The take home message is going to be that the brokers provide little protection and certainly not enough to justify their price.

Do you have a Comcast email? If so, David’s does not receive them. This happened several months ago, and apparently their IT can’t find a fix for it.

If anyone is trying to reach David’s with a Comcast email, save yourselves the headache and use another email :)
Interesting. My entire communication with them in the past has been via my Comcast email account and I've had no issues. Is this something new?

Interesting. My entire communication with them in the past has been via my Comcast email account and I've had no issues. Is this something new?

Yes. It has been a couple of months. If you are sending them emails from a Comcast email, they aren't getting them. If they are emailing you to a Comcast email, you won’t get anything. They told me a while back about the issues. Obviously, they can’t fix it.

They email me from their personal email addresses when they need to get in touch with me.

related, by only tangentially...

Comcast just outsourced their spam protection to a company called VADE. These people are incompetent and don't understand why DKIM and other sender policy frameworks have been created. They promise to de-list servers as spammers if the server owner sends them an email. It's so 1998 that it's pathetic.

The message for both owners and renters isn’t going to be not to rent.

No,

The take home message is going to be that the brokers provide little protection and certainly not enough to justify their price.

Brokers provide both convenience in finding renters, and perceived protection. Emphasis on perceived, because it does turn out there are situations where the contract does not adequately address.

I will pay something to have a broker help me find renters where they explain all the DVC rules and have already done all the work on availability and points eligibility check. But if I am taking on the risk of non payment, then my price to the broker surely won't be $4.50 per point going forward.

I have always considered that David charging $4.50 a point was pretty steep for the amount of work involved. At the same time though it has reduced the hassle for me in renting the points myself and having to deal with the problems which may occur. For that reason I have used him for the last 6 or 7 years.

related, by only tangentially...

Comcast just outsourced their spam protection to a company called VADE. These people are incompetent and don't understand why DKIM and other sender policy frameworks have been created. They promise to de-list servers as spammers if the server owner sends them an email. It's so 1998 that it's pathetic.

They explained it to me that they got a new server and the new server is labeling all communication with Comcast emails as spam. Won’t let them go out or come in. They have tried to fix it, at least that is what they told me a few months ago. Obviously it isn’t fixed, because they are still emailing me from their personal email accounts.

Sounds like a lot of you feel Davids is going out of business and his vouchers will be worthless. If thats the case would you call your credit card for a charge back immediately.
My trip isnt until May 2nd and it has not been cancelled as of yet.

Thanks!!!

Sounds like a lot of you feel Davids is going out of business and his vouchers will be worthless. If thats the case would you call your credit card for a charge back immediately.
My trip isnt until May 2nd and it has not been cancelled as of yet.

Thanks!!!
Personally I wouldn't because I'm not sure a bunch of people thinking he won't honor the reservation will be a valid argument at this point?

If he adds the expiration of the points, renters will come to believe that they can be rebooked for any reason before that day. His office will field a 100 calls a day from now on that has some variant of, “but the points are still good for eight more months; can’t you just work with me?!” - and that will frustrate his business model. There’s a reason he stressed no refunds, no changes and disclosing the expiration date of the points just adds bad feelings for people who need to change their dates.

Regarding 50% up front, not gonna happen. If anything, he’ll need to go to 80% to entice some owners back. David’s model is in danger enough without him implementing policies that would give him access to fewer owners. If he tried 50%, he’d never find enough owners to even make this voucher plan work, much less to actually make money in the future.

I was going to say the same. I would also add that if any broker can't shield me from potential risks, I am done working with any broker. As I mentioned before, if I am on hook should anything out of my control were to happen to a reservation I make months ago, what's the point of renting?

LAX

I was going to say the same. I would also add that if any broker can't shield me from potential risks, I am done working with any broker. As I mentioned before, if I am on hook should anything out of my control were to happen to a reservation I make months ago, what's the point of renting?

LAX
Me too. If I decide to rent again, I won’t go this route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter