• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAY 1 of 3 - Sun. 5/16/04

PrincessTToo

Mouseketeer
PRESHOW – A half-price/double-miles fare sale on NWA to LAX was all the incentive I needed for a trip to Disneyland. I’ve only been to Disneyland one other time (October 2002) but I’m a WDW veteran.

SHOW – My town car picked me up right on time (11:00 AM) at the Loews Santa Monica Hotel where I had spent a very uninspiring 24 hours. I was definitely ready for some Disney magic. I was told it would take about an hour to get to Disneyland but we were there in about 30 – 40 minutes.

The driver dropped me off at the entrance of the Grand Californian Hotel. A bellman came and gave me a receipt for my bag. Then I went into the lobby. I realized Samantha Brown from Great Hotels was right. It is really a “head up, jaws down” lobby. It is simply stunning. I walked around the lobby for a while before getting in line for check-in. The line was quite long and it took about 20 minutes to get to the front. I chatted with the CM directing the line and he told me that 500 guests were checking out and 500 were checking in today.

The CM at the check-in desk was very nice and very efficient. He made a very strong point about the no smoking policy at the hotel. He made me sign a form saying that I understood there was no smoking anywhere in the hotel. I told him that was one of the reasons I chose the Grand Californian. I am very allergic to smoke.

My room wasn’t going to be ready until 3:00 PM. So I started to wander. I found a very lovely restroom off the lobby. It had the same beautiful tiles that are in the lobby but on a smaller scale. I was hoping they sold them in the hotel gift shop.

I found the exit to DTD and wandered until I found the ESPN club. I stood in a very long line and when I finally got to the front they told me to go to the bar to watch the game (Timberwolves vs. Sacramento). But I want to eat, I said. He said the bar has a full menu. D’oh. I could have been in the bar 10 minutes ago! And I love bars in California. No Smoking!

I found a seat right at the bar. I had assumed it would be all LA fans checking out the next opponent but I had assumed wrong. The bar was full of Sacramento fans. When I told the bartender I was from Minneapolis he started talking about how good the Pacers were. I guess he thought I said Indianapolis and at this point I didn’t feel it wise to correct him. Unfortunately the people next to me heard me correctly and made a point of being even more “cheerful” when Sacramento scored.

I had two beers and a wonderful tomato pasta dish. I ate the whole thing even though I wasn’t that hungry. I just wanted an excuse to keep sitting there watching the game. By the time I had finished my meal, the Timberwolves were way behind and everyone else in the bar was happy.

So I left. DTD was very busy. I had to bob and weave through the crowd. I eventually got to the security checkpoint. The security guy was great. He was high-fiving all the people without bags.

It was 1:30 PM by the time I got in line at DL Guest Relations to pick up the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet tickets that I had pre-ordered. It took 25 minutes to get through the line because they only had one window open for most of the time I was in line. The lines at the gates were pretty short though.

Standing in the middle of the Main Street square, I just smiled at the light in the window over the Fire Department. And once again I was struck by the difference in the castles. But I won’t start that debate again. It is what it is.

The line was very short for PotC but I really wanted to make a point of riding HM as many times as I could today because it was going to be closed the rest of my time at DL. So I got in a very short standby line at the HM. I love the queue. It’s much better than WDW’s although I think the ride is pretty much the same. I got stopped several times in the ride which gave me more time to appreciate it. One time I got stopped in the attic and decided I liked it better than the WDW version. I think it’s more appropriate for the pop-up guys to be saying “I Do” instead of just shrieking. Then I got stopped in front of the singing headstones which are great. HM is definitely one of my absolute favorite rides.

The line to PotC was much longer now but I got in line anyway. I was seated in the 2nd row and got wet. Not “Splash Mountain wet”, just a little damp. I love the PotC in DL so much more than WDW. But then I love PotC no matter where it is. It could be in the real Caribbean with real pirates and I would love it.

On my way out I stopped to get a FP for Indy. For some reason my park ticket didn’t work with any of the FP machines. I asked a CM about it and she looked at my ticket and looked at me and very politely said “is this your park ticket?” Well, of course it is. Then I realized I was trying to use my Fantasmic Dessert Buffet ticket which looks EXACTLY the same as the park ticket except for the little words “Fantasmic Dessert Buffet” printed on it in very, very small letters! Once I used the right ticket I finally got a FP for Indy for 4:45 – 5:45 PM. It was 3:00 PM now so I walked back to the GC Hotel. It was so nice to be that close to the hotel. The other time we were at DLR, we stayed at Paradise Pier which is a great hotel but that’s such a long walk when you’re tired.

I found a house phone and got my room number - 2010. Then I went to the bell captain desk and got into a “Who’s on First?” conversation with the CM there. He was confused because I had written my room number in the spot on the form designated for the PIN number used to get my room number. And I was confused because he was telling me there wasn’t a bellman available right now and I should go to my room and wait. How can I go to my room without a bellman? I finally convinced him that what I really needed was directions to my room which he gladly provided. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) my room was very easy to find. It was on the second floor right on the lobby just to the left of the big fireplace. The bell captain could point to it from his desk. The stairs were right next to the his desk so I took the stairs and easily found my room. Once inside my room I was immediately struck by the noise. As soon as I shut my door I felt like I was still in the lobby! I swear I could hear every conversation and every screaming child in the lobby. (What is it about big lobbies and the need for kids to squeal at the top of their lungs to hear the echo?) The room itself was great but I almost called to get my room changed. Then I realized that with all those people checking in today I doubt I could get anything better. And the view from the balcony was wonderful. So I decided to stay and just forgo afternoon naps on this trip and pray that things got quieter at night (which they did).

I watched TV until the bellman came with my bag. Then I unpacked a little bit and decided to catch up with my journal out on my balcony. By now I had a really bad headache and realized I hadn’t had any caffeine yet. So I got a Coke out of the mini-fridge and then decided I needed some chips to go with it. I found Whitewater Snacks on the hotel map and made my way there. I bought some chips and a couple macaroon cookies. I noticed on my way that the Storytellers restaurant looked great and made a mental note to eat there on this trip. I also noticed that the pools were packed. I hoped they would be a little less crowded during on weekdays.

I stopped at the gift shop on the way back to my room and they didn’t have the tiles I was hoping for. But I saw a nice polo shirt for my husband and made a mental note of it in case I didn’t find anything better for him.

Once I was back in my room I went out on the balcony, had my Coke, chips and a cookie and caught up on my journal. My view was of the California Screamin’ and the Sun Wheel. Ferris Wheels are my personal “Fear Factor”. I can ride anything else (and I’ve even been skydiving) but Ferris Wheels freak me out. I realize it is very irrational fear and decided I would definitely go on the Ferris Wheel on this trip. But not in one of the moving cars!

The caffeine did its job and the headache went away. It was so beautiful on the balcony with a nice breeze and in the shade that I could have stayed out there all day. But it was time for my Indy FP.

On my way out of the room I stopped and called dining reservations (with just a touch of a button on the phone in my room) and made a reservation for the first available spot at Storytellers character breakfast for the next day. It was for 7:00 AM. The CM asked me if Bob was with me. HUH? How do you know my husband? It turns out they had all the information from our last trip to DLR when my husband was with me. I asked if Storytellers was Pluto or Goofy. She said Pluto and I said he’s my favorite. She said she’d make a note of that. I had visions of Pluto eating breakfast with me tomorrow.

I walked back to DL and noticed people were already starting to save their seats for Fantasmic. I smiled because I knew I had a couple hours before I had to get in line for the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet.

I rode Indy which I just love it and wished I could have spent more time in line enjoying the queue. Then I rode HM again and Potc again. Then for good measure I road HM one more time. The lines for all the rides were very short. I literally walked straight into HM both times.

Then I got lost in Critter Country trying to find BTMR. I actually had to stop and look at a map. Wow, I never have to do that at WDW! I finally found BTMR and the standby line was very short. I hesitated getting on for just a second. I tried to put it out of my mind about what happened and decided it was best just not to think about it. Besides I love BTMR.

Then I went back and road HM for the 4th time. This ties my all time record for HM rides in one day. In the stretching room, there was a little girl in her father’s arms next to me and she had her hands over her eyes. I asked her what she was afraid of and she pointed to the ceiling. I told her “oh, he’s fake” and everybody around us laughed. Then we all said the words together. I just love it when all the guests get into it in the stretching room.

Now it was time to get in line for the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet. I was unable to get a balcony seat when I had made my reservation so I had to get a “premium seating” ticket. I was told when I picked up my ticket to get in line at 8:00 PM for the 9:00 PM Fantasmic show. I had read that the choice of seats is on a first-come basis. So I was in line well before the 8:00 PM time. 8:00 PM finally arrived and the CM at the podium took our names and then told us to return at 8:25 PM. So I strolled around New Orleans Square and went through the Disney Gallery which was showing Haunted Mansion stuff (very appropriate for my Haunted Mansion day). I love the little courtyard in the Disney Gallery. It is so restful and beautiful. And I also got a glimpse of the setup for the balcony Dessert Buffet people. Oh, it looked good. Lots of cakes and tarts. I couldn’t wait.

I took a short restroom break and then it was finally 8:25 PM. We were called back in the order we had registered. I noticed that some people were very confused on what was going on because they hadn’t checked in yet. I was able to get in pretty early and got a “front and center” seat. I started chatting with the people next to me. They had come for the Disney “Classics” convention. He said it was the last one Disney was going to have. I was surprised I had never heard of it since I work for a Disney licensor.

The barge with the wonderful jazz band played right in front of us which were nice diversion while I was waiting for the waiter to take my “drink” order. They only offer coffee, tea, etc. Nothing alcoholic. We were told we couldn’t get in line for the desserts until we’d had our drink order taken.

The waiter finally arrived and I ordered Earl Gray tea. Then I got in line for the “desserts”. I was so disappointed. It was almost nothing but cookies. And there were the macaroon cookies I had just bought. I was starting to kick myself for not having tried to get tickets sooner so I could be on the balcony, but then I looked up at the balcony and realized I had much better seats where I was. So I guess I was paying more for the seats than for the desserts. I got a raspberry filled white chocolate cookie, a Mickey shaped rice crispy bar with a white chocolate bottom layer, some chocolate covered strawberries and a biscotti cookie dipped in dark chocolate. When I got back to my seat my tea was there but no napkins. I had to flag the waiter down for that.

The show started right on time. I loved the part of the show with Peter Pan and friends on the Columbia. But I missed Mickey’s sorcerer entrance towards the end of the show because a lamppost was in the way. My view was perfect otherwise. At the end of the show no one seemed to leave. After a while I asked the people sitting next to me about leaving. They said they were told they could stay and watch the fireworks from there. They assumed the fireworks were at 9:30 because there was another Fantasmic at 10:00 PM. Finally at 9:45 everyone else had left so we asked the waiter and he said there were no fireworks tonight. D’oh.

SIDE-NOTE: The people sitting next to me also said that they overheard someone tell the waiter they were allergic to chocolate. The waiter then went to the balcony and got her a cheesecake slice.

Then we all walked over to the HM for my 5th ride of the day. A new personal record! And lots of guests were saying the words and screaming in the stretching room. I was so sad at the end knowing that it would be closed for the rest of my trip. I heard one CM say it was closed to add something “new” and I heard another say it was closed for “cleaning”.

I started walking with no real destination in mind and ended up in front of the castle. The Disneyland website said it was closed but it was open so I walked through and saw there was no line for Snow White. I touched the golden apple which was very cute. I would never have known to do that if I hadn’t read about it here.

Then I walked over to Dumbo but didn’t have the courage to be the only adult by themselves. I was tempted by the carousel but the line was pretty long. I watched the teacups for a while but skipped it too.

Then I decided to try It’s a Small World. It’s definitely not one of my favorite rides at WDW but I was hoping this version would be a little different. I was able to catch the 10:15 PM glockenspiel which I thought was very cute. Unfortunately I looked at one of the dolls early on in the ride and was reminded of the evil monkey in Chris’ closet on “Family Guy” and I got the giggle fits. Unfortunately I was seated in the front row where everyone could see me and thought it was inappropriate to giggle since no one ever laughs in IASM. Kind-a like in church or at a funeral. When I saw the “Aloha” sign I was so hopeful that they were using the “goodbye” meaning instead of “hello”. Unfortunately it was only about at the half-way point. When I finally got out of the ride, the 10:30 PM glockenspiel was running. This time I didn’t think it was as cute.

I slowly walked back through the park and to the hotel. When I got back in my room I realized it was too late to call home. I forgot about the two hour time difference. I am used to the one hour difference the other way at WDW.

So I ironed my clothes for the next day and watched a little TV. Then I set my alarm for 5:15 AM in “buzzer” mode.

QUOTES FROM QC HOTEL:
“May your times spent here be beautiful, peaceful and fruitful.”
“Every means of hospitality will be provided by a wise and kind host or hostess.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter