Day 1 - Our Southern California Trip (San Diego Old Town and Hampton Inn)

jabead

DIS Veteran
Cast - DH, 3 kids (ages 6, 9, and 12), and myself

Dates - June 21 - July 3, 2002

DAY 1 (6/21) - We flew non-stop on Southwest Airlines from Chicago Midway to San Deigo. We then rented a car from National. I had joined the National Emerald Club (free 1 yr. membership through Disney Club) in hopes that we might be able to snag a mini-van on the Emerald Aisle. Unfortunately we had no such luck, there was not a mini-van available even if we paid the extra $$$$. So we managed to squeeze our 8 suitcases and family of 5 into the full-size car we had reserved (Dodge Intrepid) and started our short drive to our first hotel, Hampton Inn - Sea World/Airport. We paid the extra money to have the deluxe room here which had 2 queens bed and a pull-out (twin size) sofa. It also had a small refrigerator and microwave. It was quite comfortable for our family of 5. As soon as we had settled in and freshened up we walked to Old Town (several blocks from our hotel but the walk felt good after sitting on a plane for about 4 hours). We quickly decided to eat at Casa de Bandini and put our name in for an outdoor table as at that time the sun was still up and it was warm outside. We then found a small table on their front porch where DH and I had strawberry margaritas (delicious!), the kids had sodas, and we all chowed down on the complimentary chips and salsa. This was a Friday evening so they were quite busy and it was probably close to an hour before our patio table was ready. By this time we had eaten way too many chips and were all kind of full but that didn't stop us from ordering way to much food from their lengthy menu. I don't recall exactly what we all ordered but I do remember that I had shrimp served on a bed of rice and vegetables. It was very good but way too much for me to eat (LOL!). Oh and by the way, even though the patio was heated it was still rather chilly (and we had on pants and light jackets). So we soon discovered that San Diego can be pretty cold at night (even during the summer month of June). Anyway, by the time we finished our dinner the stores in the Bazaar del Mundo were closed or closing so we didn't get to do any shopping (darn!). We walked back to the hotel and went right to bed as it was about midnight for us midwesterners still on Central time and we were exhausted.

Sounds like your adventure is off to a good start - well except for the stores closing - I agree - darn - thanks for posting!

Thanks for the report! DH and I are thinking about a Southern California trip in the near future (we did Northern California last spring).

krissy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter