• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nickylv

DIS Veteran
First full day in St. Augustine. Got up early and made coffee and out on the porch I go. The sun is just rising over the ocean and dolphins are swimming by. Some early morning joggers on the beach along with some leisurely strollers. Nice way to start the morning. My wife is still asleep and I was careful not to wake her. We had some personal choice issues with the smell of the bedding, between the scent of the detergent and the fabric softener used we would never fall asleep in that perfume factory so good thing we brought all unscented products with us, so after rewashing and drying the bedding we finally made it to sleep just a little late.

Today will be a day of rest, well let me rephrase that, every day will be a day of rest. (Well earned)

My wife got up wanting breakfast she decided to make an omelet. I was out on the porch enjoying the ocean views when she called to me and said “the whipped butter we bought doesn’t work in the pan”. She said “I guess it doesn’t have much oil in it and immediately burned”. I said “that was weird since we do have some whipped butter at home and it doesn’t do that”, she said “well the butter we have at home is made with olive oil”. I still thought that to be weird. After cleaning the pot out and starting over I heard my wife start laughing, She said “I figured out what’s wrong”, I said “what”? She went on saying “I guess using whipped cream cheese doesn’t work as well as whipped butter to make eggs”. She put the cream cheese back in the frig and took out the whipped butter and she was right the butter works much better…(lol)

Just relaxed during the afternoon, figured we would go down to the beach for a while before our reservation for dinner which will be at 6:30 at LLama. I will tell you about his restaurant later,

While down at the beach for about 5 minutes we got a call from the rental agency telling us that a plumbing company needed to get into our unit since there is a flood in the unit below us and they believe it coming from our unit. So back up to our place we go. The plumber was waiting for us at the door when we arrived. While inside he began running the water in the sink, turning on the dishwasher and taking apart everything trying to find the leak. Seems it was not coming from our unit. Well now that it’s getting close to our reservation for dinner we relaxed a while and them started to get ready. Llama is a small Peruvian restaurant with limited seating located on Anastasia Blvd close to the foot of the Lions Bridge, just a few miles from where we are staying. As many times vacationing in St Augustine we were very lucky to be able to get a reservation last year and now this year as well. You need to book it months in advance. Last year to the day was the first time we were lucky enough to have gotten a reservation and it was one of the best places we have ever eaten so we are excited to go again. I have told friends from work that we’re going to St Augustine about Llama and insisted that they make reservations months before, they did, and no surprise they all said it was one of the best restaurants they ever went to.

We were seated immediately when we arrived and checked out the menu. There are only a few choices but there is always something for everyones palate. After ordering appetizers, my wife had Pulpo, octopus and I had Ocopa an unusual mix of potatoes, eggs and olives in a pepper and peanut cream sauce. OMG both were so good. After realizing our choices for our main course we ordered a bottle of wine that complimented both dishes. I ordered Paiche Amazonico which was a white fish wrapped in plantain leaves, excellent

My wife ordered Mar Y Tierra, which was a surf and turf over Tagliatelle pasta. And she loved it. We try not to get dessert but who could resist when everything was so excellent so we ordered coffee and Alfajores, which is 2 shortbread Peruvian style cookies filled with Dulce De Leche. What a way to end a perfect meal. All for less than $160. If you come to St Augustine which I am sure you know is the oldest inhabited city in the country, established in 1565. Make sure you don’t pass making a reservation at Llama. You wont regret it. But as I said you need to make your reservation months in advance.

Now back to a little bit on St Augustine Fl. There is much history and Old Town is mostly like it was 100’s of years ago. Its also a foody town with dozens of mom and pop 4 and 5 star restaurants that are great, prices vary from about $40 a couple with drinks to $200 a couple with appetizers, drinks, main course, and dessert. The area is divided into different sections, there is St Augustine old town which is on the bay, Anastasia Blvd on Anastasia Island, which is across the Lions Bridge and connects Old Town to the beach and St Augustine Beach which is on the Atlantic Ocean. This stretches about 12 miles total. There is also the business district which is off the island and that is chain city your basic chain restaurants (don’t waste your money) and stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc.

St Augustine has so much to offer, not just a foodie Mecca, there is boating, history tours, pirates, ghost tours, pub crawls, para sailing, and so much more…every year before we go to Disney for the Food and Wine Festival we spend a week in St Augustine first. to be continued…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter