Day in Coronado - activity/dine suggestions please

seobaina

DIS Veteran
Hi

We've got a day free to spend in Coronado (bar driving there in the morning from Anaheim). We've probably got til about 8-9pm in the evening free.

What should we see/do most?

And are there some good places to dine that don't break the bank? I'm a fussy eater (which I hate being but am) so I don't do well in really posh restaurants. I'm better at diner or nice restaurants that offer variety. Unless it's desserts...I'm better then and can do 'posh' :rotfl:

I'd love to do 'smores on the beach' and I saw the Hotel del Coronado offer this. Anyone know the price? Or any other way to do it?

Two adults, no kids (at least not in age...mentally, maybe ;) ). So, what should we do?

Thanks

I'd love to do 'smores on the beach' and I saw the Hotel del Coronado offer this. Anyone know the price? Or any other way to do it?

Two adults, no kids (at least not in age...mentally, maybe ;) ). So, what should we do?

Thanks

I looked up up, and they'd provide a private portable fire pit to take on the beach as well as beach chairs.

The Hotel provides these photos of a fancy looking, barely-used setup with a tiled edge where one can rest a drink or twelve:

Hotel-del-Coronado-smores-on-the-beach_small.jpg

The photos I've found of actual people (and not models) doing it show a less fancy setup that looks like it's been heavily used:

8625233652_07c4b01221_z.jpg

I'm not sure where you could do this or if you'd even want to do this unless you've got something that you'll reuse.

You could probably buy most of the materials you'd need. Those metal things are known as "toaster forks" and lots of sporting goods stores sell them in their camping sections. I've got a set somewhere, but I bought them at Yosemite along with a s'mores kit and firewood. I frankly like Trader Joe's for most of the food, but I don't think they sell marshmallows. Hershey's is common, but it really doesn't melt that well. The Belgian or Swiss milk chocolates at TJ's are smoother and should melt better.

Not sure where you could find a suitable beach fire pit though. I've seen several sold online starting at about $100. Some beaches have fire pits, although they can't really be reserved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/u...lifornia-beach-fires.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

31BONFIRE-articleLarge.jpg

There are are restaurants on Orange Ave. near the Del and the Del has food available including a limited menu on the deck & a few restaurants(check their website for more info ) If you go to Tripadvisor.com you can get an idea of restaurants in Coronado. We liked Island Pasta and Village Pizza which are a block or so from the Del
I know we could have gotten the 'smores package when we stayed at the Del(for a fee) as guests but I don't know if they offer the service to visitors.
We had lunch at Sheerwater at the Del and loved it but it wasn't cheap.

I was going to recommend "the crepe place below El Cordova Hotel," but I just checked Yelp and it's moved to San Diego. It was Bino's and now there is apparently another crepe place there with very polarizing reviews on Yelp.

I also like Brigantine for fish & chips, also below El Cordova, and there's a Mexican restaurant called Miguel's there, same owner. I haven't been in years, but it was always good.

As for things to do, check out the ferry landing. They have concerts in the afternoons during the summer. There's also restaurants there, or you could take the ferry to Seaport Village.

If you like hot dogs, check out Delux Dogs on Orange Ave. Awesome dogs.

Are they English type hot dogs (i.e. pork) or American hot dogs (beef)?

I was going to recommend "the crepe place below El Cordova Hotel," but I just checked Yelp and it's moved to San Diego. It was Bino's and now there is apparently another crepe place there with very polarizing reviews on Yelp.

I also like Brigantine for fish & chips, also below El Cordova, and there's a Mexican restaurant called Miguel's there, same owner. I haven't been in years, but it was always good.

As for things to do, check out the ferry landing. They have concerts in the afternoons during the summer. There's also restaurants there, or you could take the ferry to Seaport Village.

Thank you. crepe's particularly sound good. I didn't know about the concerts. I was debating taking the ferry just as a 'ride' back and forth so we could see the sites from the water. Not heard of Seaport Village.

You could probably buy most of the materials you'd need. Those metal things are known as "toaster forks" and lots of sporting goods stores sell them in their camping sections. I've got a set somewhere, but I bought them at Yosemite along with a s'mores kit and firewood. I frankly like Trader Joe's for most of the food, but I don't think they sell marshmallows. Hershey's is common, but it really doesn't melt that well. The Belgian or Swiss milk chocolates at TJ's are smoother and should melt better.

Not sure where you could find a suitable beach fire pit though. I've seen several sold online starting at about $100. Some beaches have fire pits, although they can't really be reserved.

Thanks. Probably not worth it if it's really expensive. Just thought it would be fun. I've only ever had proper smores once and that was in 1995. I have fond memories of the night so I thought it would be fun to do it on the beach. But only an idea.

There are are restaurants on Orange Ave. near the Del and the Del has food available including a limited menu on the deck & a few restaurants(check their website for more info ) If you go to Tripadvisor.com you can get an idea of restaurants in Coronado. We liked Island Pasta and Village Pizza which are a block or so from the Del
I know we could have gotten the 'smores package when we stayed at the Del(for a fee) as guests but I don't know if they offer the service to visitors.
We had lunch at Sheerwater at the Del and loved it but it wasn't cheap.

Thank you everyone for the ideas/suggestions. Very much appreciated. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter