• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Day of flight - Things to do after cruise?

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
Hey just trying to plan what we should do, the day we get off the cruise, it will be me, my wife and 3 year old twins and we won’t have a flight to get until early evening. From PC

So far I’m seeing the day room at the Hyatt airport, does this get much else as we won’t really be in the room much anyway, is this the only way you can use pool etc or can I pay to just use the pool 🤷‍♂️

Any other opinions of what we could do on our last day would be appreciated 🙂

Last edited:
Hey just trying to plan what we should do, the day we get off the cruise, it will be me, my wife and 3 year old twins and we won’t have a flight to get until early evening.

So far I’m seeing the day room at the Hyatt airport, does this get much else as we won’t really be in the room much anyway, is this the only way you can use pool etc or can I pay to just use the pool 🤷‍♂️

Any other opinions of what we could do on our last day would be appreciated 🙂
We rented a car and drove over to Disney Springs for lunch and to explore for a few hours. Left the luggage in the car and had a good time. My son was 7 at the time though, so that might be too much with 3 year olds.

We rented a car and drove over to Disney Springs for lunch and to explore for a few hours. Left the luggage in the car and had a good time. My son was 7 at the time though, so that might be too much with 3 year olds.
Quite a good idea, don’t think I feel to comfortable driving out there though

Not sure what port you'll be at but there's a few things you can do. Most recently when I sailed out of Miami we went to a museum and found a nice local restaurant to eat at along the water, found some awesome little shops. Then went to the airport a little early.

We rented a car and drove to Kennedy Space Center. We had a great time.

(The driving was actually quite easy.)

Not sure what port you'll be at but there's a few things you can do. Most recently when I sailed out of Miami we went to a museum and found a nice local restaurant to eat at along the water, found some awesome little shops. Then went to the airport a little early.
hey. It’s from PC

We typically do a one way car rental from Port Canaveral to MCO when we have a late afternoon or evening flight; that way we have an easy place to stash the luggage and get around. The rental places in PC have shuttles from the port and it's an easy process. It's usually $150 or less for the day, which is about what we'd pay anyway for port transfers or a Lyft/Uber to the airport.

We've done the space center, which was nice but crowded on the day we went. Other times we just drive to Orlando, grab lunch somewhere, maybe see a matinee movie, go shopping, or find other ways to kill a few hours before heading to the airport.

In your case, I'd probably do the day room to get pool access. I know you're from the UK and probably wary of renting a car/driving on the opposite side of the road. (We're doing a DCL cruise from Southampton this summer and have no desire to drive on the opposite side of the road, so I definitely understand that!)

In your case, I'd probably do the day room to get pool access. I know you're from the UK and probably wary of renting a car/driving on the opposite side of the road. (We're doing a DCL cruise from Southampton this summer and have no desire to drive on the opposite side of the road, so I definitely understand that!)
Driving on the opposite side of the road can be an exciting adventure, especially if you have a passenger/navigator to remind you of what side of the road you should be or turn onto.

Nothing wrong with a day room at MCO, but a car would allow you luggage storage and to see new locations (like Disney Springs).

But if the driving adventure isn't for you, I don't think you can gain access to the amenities at Hyatt MCO without a room. We've enjoyed our stays there.

The Crayola Experience is close to Orlando international Airport. It's only About 15min. Check the website out and see if your family would be interested. We have family and friends who love it.

I’m English and it’s 100% easier to drive in the US than the UK.

Last time I sailed out of PC I did the car rental/Disney Springs day. If you don’t want to rent a car then really the Hyatt day room is the best (maybe only) option.)

We just went to Gatorland after our cruise on Sunday. (Yes, I'm really doing this and not /totally/ off my rocker, it has a 4.5/5 on Trip Advisor y'all.) It was a fun way to waste half a day, and is definitely a different side to American culture vs. Disney, which could be fun being from outside the US. They have lots of alligators of all ages, a few shows, a short swamp walk, culinary "marvels" like walking tacos and frito pies (heaping spoons of ground beef in bags of chips), and a splash area for kids to run around in. You can feed the alligators for a fee, take pics with them for a fee, zipline for a fee, 4x4 for a fee.... you get the picture. ;) Best enjoyed if you have a fondness for kitsch, and can look the other way when they get the crowd hollering in agreement that they don't want a history lesson, they just want to see a man wrestle an alligator.

If you are NOT in the mood for a park very different than Disney, then you could also rent a car and visit one of the parks nearby like Kelly Park or Canaveral National Seashore in search of manatees, do an airboat tour, and/or spend some time on Cocoa Beach. Or, spend the day at Disney Springs, of course. There is also the space center too but you've probably done that before I imagine as I think you've cruised from PC before, and I'm not sure how well it would hold the attention of two 3 year olds.

Yes, all my ideas involve a car... I guess this proves I've lived in the US my whole life. Barring that, you could look on Viator or Trip Advisor for tours that will drive you around also, but your options may be much more limited.

Not sure what you can do without the rental car. This trip we are renting a car and heading to the Contemporary for a Chef Mickey's brunch after the cruise as we have a late flight home. Not sure if it is possible, but DCL transport to a resort for lunch, hanging around and then transport to airport with Sunshine Flyer of the like? The transportation would cost more than renting a car, but you wouldn't need to drive.

Not sure what you can do without the rental car. This trip we are renting a car and heading to the Contemporary for a Chef Mickey's brunch after the cruise as we have a late flight home. Not sure if it is possible, but DCL transport to a resort for lunch, hanging around and then transport to airport with Sunshine Flyer of the like? The transportation would cost more than renting a car, but you wouldn't need to drive.
Actually that’s not a bad idea

How are you getting from Port to MCO?
You could easily uber over to disney springs, or any of the resorts
Once at a resort or disney springs you can use the transportation options like the bus line to go between disney springs and the resorts to see and walk around and eat

I do realize you'd likely want to stow your luggage and there are companies that will do that for you or you could check in at MCO and go on and check your bags before ubering out

How are you getting from Port to MCO?
You could easily uber over to disney springs, or any of the resorts
Once at a resort or disney springs you can use the transportation options like the bus line to go between disney springs and the resorts to see and walk around and eat

I do realize you'd likely want to stow your luggage and there are companies that will do that for you or you could check in at MCO and go on and check your bags before ubering out
We were just at MCO and they will not check luggage until 4 hours prior to your flight - we found this out the hard way. We then went down to a place that holds luggage on level 1 but all they do is put it in a pile in front of their counter. It felt like anyone could just snatch your bag; there was only one person working the counter and he had a line. There was no way he could keep an eye on them, so we ended up just keeping them in the car and hoping for the best.

Is anyone going to need a nap - in a bed - in preparation for an overnight flight?
3 year olds, yes. Maybe not a room, but definitely a quieter spot to make sure its a quality nap. I've been shocked what a terror our friends' 2.5 year old can be when she is exhausted - she gets louder, not more sleepy and easy to manage. :)

exhausted - she gets louder, not more sleepy and easy to manage
Yes, thankfully my son has passed that stage, but it was horrifying, you think they’d settle down to sleep, but no, insanity sets in and all you can do is drink/pray/etc.!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter