Day trip to the beach during DVC stay?

mouseclick1

DIS Veteran
We'll be taking our next trip in March '08. I am torn between adding 2 days at VB to see the beach, or stay put at WDW the entire time and take a day trip to the ocean.

Has anyone taken a day trip to the ocean during a WDW DVC trip?
If so:
1) which beach did you go to?
2) How long did it take to get there?
3) Did you feel it was worth it, or was it too much of a hassle?

Do you have anything else to add that might help me decide?

Thanks!

Yes, we went for the day to get a break from the crowds. We went to Clearwater Beach which was on the north side of Tampa Bay. It took us about 1.5 hours to get there. We enjoyed it and had alot of fun but I remember having a difficult time finding a place to park.

We drove over to Jetty Park @ Port Canaveral, about an hour depending on traffic. Opposite channel where DCL has it's terminals.

Surprised as to how nice the beach was:thumbsup2 ; even got to see a rocket launch.

It was the high point of our trip.:)

Yes, we went for the day to get a break from the crowds. We went to Clearwater Beach which was on the north side of Tampa Bay. It took us about 1.5 hours to get there. We enjoyed it and had alot of fun but I remember having a difficult time finding a place to park.

SueBill,

Glad you had a good time in Clearwater. I'm a resident of Pinellas County and you are correct that parking can be a problem at Clearwater Beach. There are some equally nice beach areas south of Clearwater Beach. Indian Rocks Beach and St Pete Beach have good beach access and parking is a bit easier to come by.

SueBill,

Glad you had a good time in Clearwater. I'm a resident of Pinellas County and you are correct that parking can be a problem at Clearwater Beach. There are some equally nice beach areas south of Clearwater Beach. Indian Rocks Beach and St Pete Beach have good beach access and parking is a bit easier to come by.
I have never been to Indian Rocks or St.Pete's beach but would love to try them out. Thanks for the tip !:)

We have thought about going over to the beach for a day as well, and have considered Cocoa Beach. Anyone have any experiences in that area?

We have done Cocoa and the kids loved it. Can't remember how long it took--a little over an hour, I think. It wasn't as nice as Daytona (which we have also done on a day trip--90 minutes maybe?), but at that time of year Daytona may be pretty crowded. We think that a beach day is a great way to get a change of pace while at WDW. Have fun!

We've done the day tripto Cocoa Beach when the boys were teens. Pretty much a tourist trap, but we got the boys surf lessons and they loved it. We are in Oklahoma and land locked so all that ocean was a real thrill. The trip took about an hour each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter