Day trips from DLR

Aust

DIS Veteran
Besides the usual day trips to LA/San Diego, where would be some other interesting destinations within 2 to 3 hours driving distance from DLR, in any direction? What I'd really like to find is some interesting nature or landscape, e.g. forest, desert etc - not the beach as we have plenty of them here in Australia. And something a bit different to the usual tourist destinations such as Seaworld etc. Thanks!

You can drive to Palm Springs and take the tram up San Jacinto mountain. You can also check out Joshua Tree National Park.

Not sure how far Mammoth is from Anaheim, but it is mountainous.

Mammoth is great but probably a bit far (at least 5 hours I think). You could look into Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead. We are actually spending part of our upcoming vacation there. I haven't been there yet but it looks like it might be a nice change.

Las Vegas is just four hours away ;)

On a serious note, I would second Palm Springs. About 2 hours and some very cool nature out that way!

Thanks for the suggestions - Joshua Tree national park looks really interesting, I'd love to see some of the natural beauty of California and somewhere completely different to home. How long is thr drive there from Anaheim?

Thanks for the suggestions - Joshua Tree national park looks really interesting, I'd love to see some of the natural beauty of California and somewhere completely different to home. How long is thr drive there from Anaheim?

Joshua Tree is in Twentynine Palms and is about 2 1/2 hours away from Disneyland.

When are you going? It seems you might be going in September? You might want to check on the average temperatures at Joshua Tree NP. Not sure but it might be too hot.

We'll be there end September/start of OCtober - I'll check the temperatures.

We drove from Anaheim up to Calico Ghost Town (quite different from theme parks and interesting too) and then followed part of Route 66 from Barstow. On the way we had a quick stop at Mormon Rocks and I enjoyed most of the drive - the desert, up through the pass (I've forgotten it's name, might have been Cajon Pass), following railway tracks. We also stopped at the Route 66 museum in Barstow. Lots to look at and read in that small museum. Some might say it's a dull landscape but I liked it, totally different from what we see here in Kent, UK. Even our teens enjoyed the day!

Barstow/Route 66 may be an option as my husband's a car fanatic - will research that some more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter