Daytona Beach or New Smyrna Beach?

Tuffy4God

Mouseketeer
Hi! My family will be headed to WDW Sept 1-11 and we are planning on visiting Daytona Speedway on a Friday morning and then heading over to the beach for the rest of the day.

Which beach do you recommend and why? Daytona Beach or New Smyrna Beach? Or is there a better one right by there that I don't know about?

It'll be me, dh, dd (8), ds (10). My kids have never been to the ocean before and they would love to be able to find shells and anything else that's washed up on the beach.

TIA!

We are also planning on doing a day trip to Daytona on our August vacation. I was hoping you would get some good feedback on your question.

We are thinking of doing either the Boardwalk attractions or one of the Speedway tours in the morning, then just lounging on the beach for the afternoon. Will probably rent a pair of beach loungers and an umbrella. So we will likely stay put at Daytona vs. New Smyrna...but you never know :) .

Personally, I prefer New Smyrna. That's my choice beach on the Atlantic side (I'm partial to the gulf coast). I think it's one of the prettier beaches. I also think it can be less rowdy than Daytona beach which I think is a good thing but that depends on the ages/personalities of your party.

Given the option, I'll always go the extra distance to new Smyrna! I'm sure you'll enjoy either way!

Thanks for the info! We are going to the Gulf Coast on our first day in FL...we're staying at a resort on the beach that first night in Treasure Island. So, I'm excited that my kids will get to experience that side of FL!

My husband is a huge NASCAR fan, so that's why I want to take the family over to Daytona. I had thought at first of just heading over to Daytona Beach, and then had heard about New Smyrna Beach too and wanted to get some first-hand info from those who have been there. Both beaches are about the same distance from our hotal at Disney, so location doesn't matter. I just want the best experience for my family since my kids won't probably be at an ocean beach for a long time after this trip.

Thanks! :)

Does anyone else have any opinions on this? Just trying to get ideas for what will be the best for my family and I love hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

I would stay in the Daytona area and not drive the extra minutes to New Smyrna. Are you only going over for a day trip? The speedway to New Smyrna is about 20 minutes plus getting over to the beach from the interstate. You can be at the beach in Daytona from the speedway in 8-10.
If you are looking for a quiet area try South Daytona along the condos. It's easy to find public beach access there, but it shouldn't be crowded in Sept anyway. Incidentally since your going on a Friday, Daytona has a crazy good flea market Fri-Sun. And the light house and nature center are good too. (Nice beach area along the jetty by the light house too)

I would stay in the Daytona area and not drive the extra minutes to New Smyrna. Are you only going over for a day trip? The speedway to New Smyrna is about 20 minutes plus getting over to the beach from the interstate. You can be at the beach in Daytona from the speedway in 8-10.
If you are looking for a quiet area try South Daytona along the condos. It's easy to find public beach access there, but it shouldn't be crowded in Sept anyway. Incidentally since your going on a Friday, Daytona has a crazy good flea market Fri-Sun. And the light house and nature center are good too. (Nice beach area along the jetty by the light house too)

Thanks for the info! Yes, we're just going for the day, then headed back that night to our WDW resort.

What about for finding shells? My kids are really into zoology right now and are really hoping to find shells and other sea items that get washed up on shore. Are one of these places better than another for finding shells, etc?

TIA!

Daytona Speedway is really close to i95. Going to actual Daytona beach is going to take around the same amount of time to go to New Smyrna. New Smyrna is also a smaller distance back to Orlando, so you will have a short drive on the way back. New Smyrna also as Ponce Inlet, smaller feel, and less trashy. A few thoughts :) Also, I am from the area.

What about for finding shells? My kids are really into zoology right now and are really hoping to find shells and other sea items that get washed up on shore. Are one of these places better than another for finding shells, etc? TIA!

I know that at Daytona (we usually stay a couple months every year with my Mom) we have found some decent shells when the tide has been going out but nothing spectacular. We have found maybe 2 whole sand dollars in about 10 trips! We did see a sea turtle once which was neat. The nature center is nice, but it is small and not Sea World by any means, but you can look down into the turtle recovery area which is neat. My DS 4 loves the beach and the Daytona area, but he's 4 so pretty easy to please. I think the Tampa beaches have a ton more shells from what I recall but I haven't been there in years. Maybe someone else could verify that.

Daytona Speedway is really close to i95. Going to actual Daytona beach is going to take around the same amount of time to go to New Smyrna. New Smyrna is also a smaller distance back to Orlando, so you will have a short drive on the way back. New Smyrna also as Ponce Inlet, smaller feel, and less trashy. A few thoughts :) Also, I am from the area.

Can u gain beach access to Ponce Inlet and the light house area through New Smyrna by car?

Can u gain beach access to Ponce Inlet and the light house area through New Smyrna by car?

No you can't. The inlet is actually between the 2 areas. If you are in NSB you will have to drive north on US 1 to Port Orange, take The Port Orange bridge over the Intercoastal River & head South on A1A through a couple of small towns til you reach the city of Ponce Inlet. There's plenty of signs directing you to the lighthouse.

On the other hand NSB has a great beach and a huge park at our portion of the inlet. You can drive on most of our beach but there is a fee.

No you can't. The inlet is actually between the 2 areas. If you are in NSB you will have to drive north on US 1 to Port Orange, take The Port Orange bridge over the Intercoastal River & head South on A1A through a couple of small towns til you reach the city of Ponce Inlet. There's plenty of signs directing you to the lighthouse. On the other hand NSB has a great beach and a huge park at our portion of the inlet. You can drive on most of our beach but there is a fee.

I was gonna say is there some road I don't know about? My mom used to work at Drappers Drive Inn (Papas now) in NSB. We ate there when they were filming Tomorrowland this past fall, but we didn't see George Clooney or anybody :(

I was gonna say is there some road I don't know about? My mom used to work at Drappers Drive Inn (Papas now) in NSB. We ate there when they were filming Tomorrowland this past fall, but we didn't see George Clooney or anybody :(

Pappas has great food.... Especially the burgers!!

Clooney wasn't Ever here but Tim McGraw did a lot of filming here. Really neat for our town.

I really think our beach here in NSB has a lot more to offer families than DB. I just don't like all the traffic just trying to make it down A1A in DB to "try" & find somewhere to park. JMHO.

I too am trying to decide what beach I will go to when visiting Orlando. I've heard great things about New Smyrna Beach. I'm wondering if we can rent boogie boards there? Are there places to eat near there that you would recommend?

I have three kids, 17, 8 and 6 and this is our first ever time to the ocean. :thumbsup2

I too am trying to decide what beach I will go to when visiting Orlando. I've heard great things about New Smyrna Beach. I'm wondering if we can rent boogie boards there? Are there places to eat near there that you would recommend? I have three kids, 17, 8 and 6 and this is our first ever time to the ocean. :thumbsup2

There are beach stands all over the place that rent boogie boards, umbrellas & a host of other things. Plus they serve food. As far as places to eat it's going to depend on what area of the beach you land on. If you are at the Flagler Ave approach there is The Breakers & Toni & Joes Patio. Of if you're up to a quick walk down Flagler Ave there's all sorts of places to eat & gift shops to browse. If you're heading to the Third Ave or 27th Ave approaches a lot of people just grab subs from Mon Delice French Bakery, Publix or Subway & a cheap styrofoam cooler. Depends on how relaxing you want your day to be.

Whatever you choose - enjoy your day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter