DC question: Sounds crazy, but, do you have to know how to swim?

CuteKatCar

DIS Veteran
I was just checking out the DC website, which looks great. The only problem is my husband can't swim. He says he can't anyway. However, he has snorkeled a few times. So that confuses me.

So, my question is, other than the snorkeling, how much swimming is involved? How much of the pools are over your head? Which does concern me a little about my 7 yr. old. She's a good swimmer, but will she be in a pool way over her head for long periods of time.

Thanks for advice.

Anna

You wear either awet suit or a swim vest, both of which will keep you buoyant and it is manditory that one or the other is worn. You don't need to know how to swim. The fresh water lazy river is deep, but there are noodles laying (and floating) around so grab one or two and have fun. I did this with my son who was almost 4 and my other son who at the time was 9. My 4 year old wanted to go around again and again. If you do the dolphin swim, you stand in water that is knee to hip deep (depending on your size). The trainer will ask who wants to go into the deeper water for some stuff. You don't have to go out, in fact my son had the better dolphin ride because the dolphin went out with him then turned around and went back in. There are life guards all over the place, it is very, very safe.

Everything he just said is correct.
Your husband has nothing to worry about. The vest will keep him on the surface, where he can paddle around. Same for the kids.
The dolphin ride where they go out and back is called a Slingshot ride. And yeah, it's probably better than starting in the deep end because you get a longer ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter