• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCA – Official Announcements and Rumors

Another example of the barecup boards and a look for a quick/cheap fix, rather than coming up with something new to really WOW the guest.

I have to comment on the Tower of Terror not being necessarily "California". It seems that Tower is not is because Another Voice has deemed it so. The original designs for the facade of the Florida building, were based on the Hollywood Tower Apatments building in Hollywood. The facade is now more Moorish revival style architecture, but this to is true to California, as this was a very popular style in the 20's in CA. It is based on a TV show made in Hollywood. The interior is based on a Lobby in a hotel in Hollywood. The furniture came from some of the nicest buildings in Hollywood. I'm not sure where this dosen't fit the California theme. And if your saying that its not set because they can easily change the facade and have it be anywhere, well yeah, but even the beloved Pirates can do that. Look at the difference in setting between CA. and FL.

My argument wasn’t about the architecture and the interior décor. In the beginning, California Adventure was supposed to contain adventures that reflected the unique and special aspects of California – walking through a Hollywood movie back lot, exploring the Redwood forests of Monterey, a Pacific Ocean front amusement park. These are places that only exist in California, and experiences you can only have here.

The issue with ‘Tower’ is that the experience of the ride doesn’t reflect anything about California in that way. Sure, the design is typical Californian architecture and sign says “Hollywood”, but change the name on the sign to Toledo and entire story still works. But on the other side, you couldn’t place the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail in Ohio because there are no vast and ancient redwood forests on the lakeshore. In fact, Disney itself is re-themeing ‘Tower’ for DisneySea by changing the hotel’s fictional location from Hollywood to New York. It fits in perfectly.

And I’m not saying that the ‘Tower’ shouldn’t go into DCA; I’m using it as an example about how Disney has abandoned the entire ‘California’ theme to California Adventure. Just as ‘Flik’s Fun Fair’ drops it as well. There is a big difference between “theme” and “décor”, and Disney has chosen the most practical way out of the mess they’ve created at DCA.

California is now nothing but decoration.

It appears to me that if what you say of the demands on DL is true (of the local demographic), then it seems no wonder that Disney attempted to make DL a true destination resort for a paying crowd of visitors with more wonder in their eye & less demand on the product. Again, if what you suggest is true, I can forsee the day (if DCA continues to miss the mark) that DL may be given up on completely as the cost to continually wow the local crowd would no longer be the fiscally responsible thing to do...Their money would be better spent elsewhere...
Are you compelled to go to Southern California to see a ride which you've been on hundreds of times in WDW? Does one unique experince, Soarin, convince you to not only spend $43 for a day at DCA, but plan a full vacation to Anahiem?

To steal a line from Wrestling (Yes scoop I'm a wrestling fan. Sue me) :

DCA was built to put a$$es in Anahiem. Does bringing half a dozen of your favorite rides across the country make you want to visit Anahiem or would you keep on doing the same old same old and head to WDW?

By building Tower, Philarmagic, and others in Anahiem, Disney is slowly giving up on the destination concept and they are trying to build a mini WDW for the locals. It's not a bad business....Disney management's aparent role model (six flags) makes a decent living in it.

Does bringing half a dozen of your favorite rides across the country make you want to visit Anahiem or would you keep on doing the same old same old and head to WDW?

We seem to be focusing on those that live in So Cal, or on the East Coast. The SF Bay Area for instance, is the 5th largest market in the country. Then there's the growing areas around Las Vegas, Sacramento, Phoenix, Seattle etc. Orlando is a significant trip, and only the most dedicated of Disney-ites will make it more than once every 5-10 years. But a Disney resort destination a 70 minute plane ride away? For fares sometimes below $100, and rarely more than $125? And the DLResort doesn't have to hold them for a full week. There are other things to do, so if Disney can hold them for 3-4 days now, and in doing so get more to stay on-site, they will have accomplished their goal.

As for more dedicated Disney fans, we are DVC members, but because of travel costs we will limit our WDW trips to every other year. Having DCA and DD in Anaheim makes us more likely to at least take a mini-vacation to the DLResort, just as we did last year.

As long as Disney keeps some unique experiences at DL, such as the Matterhorn and Mr. Toad, and does the same at DCA, they should be successful. ToT is not the entire answer, and neither is cloning the entire answer. But it certainly can be a piece of it.

to name a new ride "Tower of Terror" at DCA? After Sept 11th, do you really think that anyone will want to be in a Tower of Terror?
I think that a name change is in order, or the Exec's will just be wasting more money on a bad idea. If they don't watch out, this could be really bad press for them...and they REALLY need that right now at DCA!

Roy

According to “rumor”, there was serious consideration given to changing the attraction’s name. But according to the “official” answer that is being spun, The Company decided that there would be as much flak for changing the name as for keeping it and by 2004 the public should be less sensitive to these matters.

The “real” reason (according to the whisperings) is that keeping the same name will save The Company some major cash by allowing the cross utilization of merchandise between WDW, Disneyland and Paris. Design and inventory costs are much lower if the parks can share products, a trend that’s been going on at Disneyland for a while now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter