DCL cruisers tried Royal...

See below

100% yes, but it was how you were highlighting the difference as in tone, wordage, etc that made it seem more like if it wasn't the way DCL did it..etc. FWIW this happens a lot too when people who are very big Disney Parks fans and they try to go over to Universal. There's def. a way that Universal gets talked about compared to someone who is more even-keeled on their theme park interests.

I do appreciate your review, I've thought about Royal in the past and I enjoy hearing how people felt especially with those big ships!

In fairness I don't think people would use charging for pop, when it's standard to do so on most other cruise lines, as nickel and diming. That's part of the reason I mentioned what I did about your heart seemingly lying in DCL. You're going to be hard pressed to find non-luxury lines that don't charge for it. Some will offer packages including "free" deals but yeah DCL is abnormal in that they don't but it's only because of who their target audience is.

I don't know about you but Disney charges some absolutely crazy high pricing for some of their specialty dining, Enchante being $80 per person just for brunch! One could say that's nickel and diming but well specialty dining for a cost is now standard on cruise lines.

I'm glad you figured out what didn't work for you, you don't get to know unless you try it right? :)
I’ve never been on a cruise but I read these things because I think I’d like to one day. I definitely consider buying a soda package “nickel and diming” as well as the mandatory tipping (including providing envelopes) of all? Most? Cruise lines. Soda, tea, water, juice, coffee should all be part of your cost.

Tipping should be at your discretion—period.

These are the 2 main things keeping me from ever trying a cruise.

I’ve never been on a cruise but I read these things because I think I’d like to one day. I definitely consider buying a soda package “nickel and diming” as well as the mandatory tipping (including providing envelopes) of all? Most? Cruise lines. Soda, tea, water, juice, coffee should all be part of your cost.

Tipping should be at your discretion—period.

These are the 2 main things keeping me from ever trying a cruise.
Tipping is not mandatory. Yes, the cruise lines automatically add the standard tipping amount to your bill but if you choose you can go to guest services and remove the tip amount from your charges or if you felt you had exceptional service or just want to acknowledge how hard your service team has worked you can also go to guest services to add to the tip amount. Obviously you can also add to the tips without gouge to guest services by putting something extra into the envelopes. One thing I like about how tipping works on DCL is that the tips go directly to the four people on the team that directly provided services to the guest. I know from talking to my BL who regularly cruises another cruise line his tips do not go directly to their specific Servers or Cabin Stewart.

Tipping is not mandatory. Yes, the cruise lines automatically add the standard tipping amount to your bill but if you choose you can go to guest services and remove the tip amount from your charges or if you felt you had exceptional service or just want to acknowledge how hard your service team has worked you can also go to guest services to add to the tip amount. Obviously you can also add to the tips without gouge to guest services by putting something extra into the envelopes. One thing I like about how tipping works on DCL is that the tips go directly to the four people on the team that directly provided services to the guest. I know from talking to my BL who regularly cruises another cruise line his tips do not go directly to their specific Servers or Cabin Stewart.
But that’s what I mean. I shouldn’t have to go through extra steps to take tipping off. It should just be at my discretion—the end.
If they (the company) feels I MUST tip all these people, they need to pay them more and work it into the price of the cruise.

But that’s what I mean. I shouldn’t have to go through extra steps to take tipping off. It should just be at my discretion—the end.
If they (the company) feels I MUST tip all these people, they need to pay them more and work it into the price of the cruise.

Look, you can agree or disagree with the way a cruise line pays their crew. That's your right. But this is the model that virtually all cruise lines and cruise ships employ, and thus this is what we, the consumer, need to understand and work with. If that changes, then cruisers will adapt, as we always do. But for now, we cannot penalize a worker because we don't agree with how they are paid.

Look, you can agree or disagree with the way a cruise line pays their crew. That's your right. But this is the model that virtually all cruise lines and cruise ships employ, and thus this is what we, the consumer, need to understand and work with. If that changes, then cruisers will adapt, as we always do. But for now, we cannot penalize a worker because we don't agree with how they are paid.
Actually, we can choose to not tip at all.

Disney relativism on display here. Disney charges a premium, than also has premium prices on board for the things they do charge for. Disney merch is expensive. Disney's drink seminars are about twice the price compared to Celebrity. Disney drinks on board are near the most expensive I've seen on a cruise ship (incidentally Celebrity is the most expensive I've seen). Disney's specialty restaurants are some of the most expensive at sea. Only the chefs tables and multi-course tasting menus are more expensive. Disney's cabanas, that sell out months in advance, are the most expensive I've seen. And y'all act that Disney isn't after more of your money because they only have 2 specialty restaurants per ship and don't charge for soda that is probably only a couple cents per glass that I am sure they get for free from coke just like they do in the parks.

Disney Fantasy December 7 to 14. Eastern Caribbean. Inside stateroom: 5489 CAD
Celebrity Ascent December 8 to 15. Eastern Caribbean. Inside stateroom with prepaid gratuities: 2668 CAD. Ultimate specialty dining, premium drinks package and premium access (premium wifi, premium embarkation and disembarkation, room service fees waived, priority luggage and a bit more) total is 1957 CAD. For a total of 4625 CAD. Onboard I won't have to pay for a thing. On Disney I'd probably be spending another 600 to 800 dollars.

It is totally fine if the price difference and the difference in what is included is acceptable to you. I know I want to do another Disney cruise. But don't act like their premium price is fully justified because soda is included.
Thank goodness the review police is here to keep us in check!

After years of hearing "you have to try another cruise line," I did. And my conclusion was I'd rather pay $3k more to be on the Fantasy. So I wrote a post detailing my experience. Based on the overwhelming positive response, it appears to have resonated.

And it was about a whole lot more than the soda.

And then folks complain about the costs, at least you don’t pay taxes on tips. I think ncl tried including tips in the fare for overseas clients, but it didn’t go over well, folks didn’t want to pay the higher priced.

After years of hearing "you have to try another cruise line," I did. And my conclusion was I'd rather pay $3k more to be on the Fantasy. So I wrote a post detailing my experience. Based on the overwhelming positive response, it appears to have resonated.

My post wasn't directed at your review, which actually highlights some of the reasons I am reluctant to try Royal. It was at people that complain about other lines 'nickle and diming you' while praising Disney for being more 'inclusive'. It was directed at the last couple of pages. I gave a price comparison to what people would call 'upselling and nickle and diming' to show even with piecemeal paying for things you are still coming out cheaper than Disney. Which one you would choose is personal and neither here nor there for me. I'd happily do both.

I just don't get people praising Disney for practices that actually cause you to spend more money. Especially they praise the complete lack of drink (not just alcohol but coffee and premium bottled drinks) and dining bundles.

After years of hearing "you have to try another cruise line," I did. And my conclusion was I'd rather pay $3k more to be on the Fantasy.

Same for us. We tried Royal, we had fine trip. But for us, it's worth it to cruise with Disney. There were MANY reasons. None of them were terrible, it's just an overall vibe.

Well, it is a bit of a partisan crowd in this forum. :)

That said, I do think your report was well thought out and has generated a lot of good conversation. Definitely one that I have gotten a lot of information and ideas from, so thank you once again for doing the report.

Well, it is a bit of a partisan crowd in this forum. :)

That said, I do think your report was well thought out and has generated a lot of good conversation. Definitely one that I have gotten a lot of information and ideas from, so thank you once again for doing the report.

Can't recall reading if you have ever cruised/reviewed a Royal SKY or Star level or Norwegian Haven Level or MSC Yacht Club Level at pricing at DCL Verandah prices or slightly higher BUT Thousands less than DCL Concierge.

One of the comments above made me remember when tips weren’t automatically included. I will say just me overall the crew worked harder when they weren’t included automatically. Not that they don’t still work hard but it was a noticeable change when it occurred. Again way back in the day. Our first cruise was 2004 I think?

One of the comments above made me remember when tips weren’t automatically included. I will say just me overall the crew worked harder when they weren’t included automatically. Not that they don’t still work hard but it was a noticeable change when it occurred. Again way back in the day. Our first cruise was 2004 I think?
Well, my reluctance to the tipping is i would be one person cruising solo. I don’t need turn down, I don’t need beds dropped out of the ceiling or whatever. I don’t need 2-3 waiters during my meal. I don’t need a “team”. heck I don’t even need ONE person. To me cruising seems like a floating resort. I’ll do what I want when I feel like it and I can take care of my room and myself.

Can't recall reading if you have ever cruised/reviewed a Royal SKY or Star level or Norwegian Haven Level or MSC Yacht Club Level at pricing at DCL Verandah prices or slightly higher BUT Thousands less than DCL Concierge.
You probably meant this for the OP.

That is quite unfair and you might consider backing off just a little. Those comments were not directed at you but I suspect you are only looking for agreement. For the most part, you are on a forum where the majority of people are going to agree with you. After all, most people crave validation.

I take your review for what it is: a review of one cruise line (actually, a single cruise) by a person who has limited cruise experience, has small children and wants Disney entertainment. I don't take it as an indictment of all cruise lines though you seem to indicate (and I could be wrong) that in your opinion no cruise line will ever measure up to DCL. You can certainly spend your money and time however you wish, but experienced cruisers are going to disagree.

When it comes to the tired "nickle and diming" argument, @Lesverts nailed it. No mass market cruise line (and this is an absolute) provides more ways to separate you from your money than Disney. You may not like the way other lines package the add-ons and one or two may be more aggressive with sales, but DCL is so far outside of typical pricing structure that it should be fairly addressed.

I like DCL. It was the best cruise line for us when our children were young. As teens, they liked RCL better. For adults only, I believe that Celebrity and Princess are the best for us. Here is where they are better than or equal to DCL: Food and wine quality and availability (not even close); service (this largely depends on service team); adult areas (they put far more into adult spaces than DCL); varying itineraries; cleanliness; and quiet and peaceful experience (DCL main dining rooms are incredibly loud and chaotic as are the deck parties); and online registration.

My caveat is that ship entertainment is not a big factor and I find DCL productions to be mostly unwatchable. This does not mean that that they are low quality or cheap - far from it. Just don't lie to yourself in believing that DCL is a premium or luxury line because that is objectively false. It is a mass market line with DCL branding - and many people find significant value in the Disney brand and entertainment and are willing to pay the upcharge. However, if the Disney branding and entertainment don't mean much to you, there are better experiences for far less money.

Disney's cabanas, that sell out months in advance, are the most expensive I've seen
I have recently seem some vlogs on Royal and it was indicated that some of the new cabanas at Coco Cay can run $1800-2500 which is 3-4 times higher than DCL. My jaw dropped. The high end is almost as much as we paid for a 3-day cruise on DCL - for 6 hours and very little is included that I could see.

I have recently seem some vlogs on Royal and it was indicated that some of the new cabanas at Coco Cay can run $1800-2500 which is 3-4 times higher than DCL. My jaw dropped. The high end is almost as much as we paid for a 3-day cruise on DCL - for 6 hours and very little is included that I could see.

I will admit I completely forgot about those ridiculous things that they just introduced with the Icon. I was thinking more the 400-800 dollar standard ones that almost all cruise lines offer.

Disney relativism on display here. Disney charges a premium, than also has premium prices on board for the things they do charge for. Disney merch is expensive. Disney's drink seminars are about twice the price compared to Celebrity. Disney drinks on board are near the most expensive I've seen on a cruise ship (incidentally Celebrity is the most expensive I've seen). Disney's specialty restaurants are some of the most expensive at sea. Only the chefs tables and multi-course tasting menus are more expensive. Disney's cabanas, that sell out months in advance, are the most expensive I've seen. And y'all act that Disney isn't after more of your money because they only have 2 specialty restaurants per ship and don't charge for soda that is probably only a couple cents per glass that I am sure they get for free from coke just like they do in the parks.

Disney Fantasy December 7 to 14. Eastern Caribbean. Inside stateroom: 5489 CAD
Celebrity Ascent December 8 to 15. Eastern Caribbean. Inside stateroom with prepaid gratuities: 2668 CAD. Ultimate specialty dining, premium drinks package and premium access (premium wifi, premium embarkation and disembarkation, room service fees waived, priority luggage and a bit more) total is 1957 CAD. For a total of 4625 CAD. Onboard I won't have to pay for a thing. On Disney I'd probably be spending another 600 to 800 dollars.

It is totally fine if the price difference and the difference in what is included is acceptable to you. I know I want to do another Disney cruise. But don't act like their premium price is fully justified because soda is included.
We are definitely buying a product that is what I consider overpriced and unjustified.

I consider anything Disney to be that. I also have a phone from one of the flushest $ companies in the country. I am not happy with the price, but I like the product. And it took me a long time to actually buy from them. First, it was a used one. Then it was the cheapest model. Still a lot of money for a product made by poorly-paid (I suspect) Chinese women.

Disney offers a product I enjoy. I am paying for the lack of drunks and loud music. For G/PG movies (and a movie theater - I will be disappointed with that in the Triton class), well done production shows and an atmosphere that is not repeated elsewhere. The mood /atmosphere is one of happiness and innocence. Not the bar/ drinking party setting I catch glimpses of on other cruises. (That was my Carnival experience. Royal is just that Spring Break at the beach vibe.) NCL has either been cool/cold weather cruises and/or an older, milder crowd. Princess - AK, a few times. I skip the Pirate Party and go for the fireworks. I will attend the Sail A Wave party and do a little dancing and hear the horn. I don’t need the hype to get me excited. I am in a cruise! Excitement already.

A Disney cruise is truly a luxury. Well, that goes for any cruise or vacation. I have been extremely fortunate for the travel experiences I have had (cruise or other). At no other point in time have so many people been afforded the life and experiences as have my generation.

Extra stuff onboard too expensive? You betcha. It is a rare cruise that I pay for internet, alcohol, souvenirs, photos, specialty dining - if it is not included. I am not the customer they want as far as making a profit on “soft sales.” But I will pay for Coke on any ship, as that is my addiction 😕. I have sailed on ships with Pepsi and was happy to get to a port and buy a Coke. I don’t consider included Coke the justification for the cruise price. But I certainly appreciate it. And consider it part of the cruise fare.

From an economic aspect, no, I cannot justify the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter