DCL cutting back on little things?

gatordoc

hopelessly addicted...
Just off the Magic, and while we had a wonderful time, we noticed a few little things that have apparently been dropped by DCL. First, the animation show at AP ended with the parade of servers in their colorful vests, but for the first time in our experience on either the Magic or Wonder, there was no appearance by Sorcerer Mickey. Second, the quick serve locations on deck 9 did not have Lays chips available - when I asked, they told me all they had were fries. And third, the iced tea in Palo had plain ice cubes rather than the ones made with frozen tea. Hopefully these were just random things on this cruise and not part of a trend.

Hi.
Could be a difference in ships, but in November16- Wonder and September17-Dream, Sorcerer Mickey came to Animators.
We also had Lays on the deck and at Castaway.
Went to Palo, but did not order tea this time around.

Just off the Magic, and while we had a wonderful time, we noticed a few little things that have apparently been dropped by DCL. First, the animation show at AP ended with the parade of servers in their colorful vests, but for the first time in our experience on either the Magic or Wonder, there was no appearance by Sorcerer Mickey. Second, the quick serve locations on deck 9 did not have Lays chips available - when I asked, they told me all they had were fries. And third, the iced tea in Palo had plain ice cubes rather than the ones made with frozen tea. Hopefully these were just random things on this cruise and not part of a trend.

I have never, ever, had frozen iced tea cubes on any of my 38 DCL cruises.....been cruising with DCL since 1998. Never knew they existed and can't say I remember ever having them in Palo.

Hopefully they were just out of the chips.

MJ

I didn't know tea ice cubes were at thing in Palo on our first cruise on the Dream, but we went for dinner. We did get tea ice cubes in Palo for brunch on the Fantasy. I don't know what prompts tea ice cubes. Deal breaker? No, but it was a nice touch. Sadly, every company is cutting corners. As much as I'd love for Disney to be in a no cuts bubble, I don't think that's realistic. Sad, yes.

I just came off the Wonder on Sunday and Sorcerer Mickey was in AP for our first night. Also we had 3 bowls of ruffle chips delivered to our staterooms every night from room service for our late night snack.

Wow. Shocking. I was mad enough when they removed the pretzels. What’s next. Pillows?

Maybe Sorcerer Mickey had a case of Montezuma's Revenge. ;)

I just came off the Wonder on Sunday and Sorcerer Mickey was in AP for our first night. Also we had 3 bowls of ruffle chips delivered to our staterooms every night from room service for our late night snack.

Yeah, my only guess is there was some kind of major issue that prevented Mickey from being there. He was definitely there in Feb.

As to the others... I never even ate the chips (not my thing), so not a clue. And I don't do iced tea, so again, no clue.

No show or Mickey in AP on the Fantasy (DVC Member cruise) in August. Chips on deck though.

We did not have Sorcerer Mickey in AP in May. Yes they are giving you less and charging you more.

I have never, ever, had frozen iced tea cubes on any of my 38 DCL cruises.....been cruising with DCL since 1998. Never knew they existed and can't say I remember ever having them in Palo.

Hopefully they were just out of the chips.

MJ
I have : )

There is the possibility that there was an issue with the supplier and the chips. I have noticed that the Lays brand has not been replenished as much as UTZ or other brands in NYC bodegas lately. I had assumed it was a bodega thing, but perhaps it is a regional thing with the distributors?

Mickey has never been in AP on the Dream Class. Only Crush and the placemat thing on the Fantasy.

Yeah our first cruise, no show or Mickey, so I was surprised to see the show and Mickey on out 2nd cruise. I didn't know what to expect back then.

the Lays potato chips aren't on all the ships if I remember correctly. However, they were on the Fantasy last month. I also know for sure that the iced teas cubes were on the Fantasy in Palo last month (and previous sailings), because staff point it out to my DW each cruise.

A couple of other things cut back in is the bag in the room for Castaway Club Members. Used to be that you would get more useable stuff that what we get now. Also the Captains Reception has been all but eliminated. That one is a shame for us, we really enjoyed that time.

We were on the Norwegian Fjords cruise in June and Sorcerer Mickey was at the end of the AP animation show and, get this, he was handing out bags of Lays chips! :)

Seems variable and hopefully not a trend. The quip about Mickey being sick is a possibility though - the first night of the cruise (we were in AP the next day) was about as rough as I've ever encountered (and I've been on boats large and small for most of my life) due to swells from Hurricane Maria (per the captain). I was fine - fortunately that stuff doesn't bother me - but even many of the crew had issues. Our assistant server didn't get sick, but told us that one violent jolt caused her to fall and hit her head. Thankfully she was OK, but she told us that a lot of her crew mates had very rough nights/mornings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter