DCL Disney Magic At Sea UK Residents Only Sailing Summer 2021 General Information

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but curious if folks think this will make it more or less likely that the Magic will be doing sailings this autumn in the U.S.

On the one hand, it means the Magic should be more "ready to go"--it'll have a crew, be fully set up with Covid protocols, and hopefully have "success stories" to report on to the CDC

On the other hand, if it is sailing out of the UK that means it is not doing CDC-style "test cruises" with volunteers. I also notice the Magic is the one Disney ship not listed on the CDC color code chart (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html), and can't help but wonder if that is because Disney is throwing in the towel and not even trying to put the Magic through the US system and is instead just keeping her in Europe for the foreseeable future.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but curious if folks think this will make it more or less likely that the Magic will be doing sailings this autumn in the U.S.

On the one hand, it means the Magic should be more "ready to go"--it'll have a crew, be fully set up with Covid protocols, and hopefully have "success stories" to report on to the CDC

On the other hand, if it is sailing out of the UK that means it is not doing CDC-style "test cruises" with volunteers. I also notice the Magic is the one Disney ship not listed on the CDC color code chart (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html), and can't help but wonder if that is because Disney is throwing in the towel and not even trying to put the Magic through the US system and is instead just keeping her in Europe for the foreseeable future.

This has been my theory all a long. The Magic has never been on the CDC color code, and is not under American CDC jurisdiction. While having The Magic do the UK summer cruises means they can test out all the new procedures and policies and changes, I very much doubt that Disney will bring the ship back to American for the winter season. My theory all a long which I said in other threads is that DCL could do winter Mediterranean routes. People didn't want to believe that DCL would do UK residents sailings but now they are. DCL is a business and like all the other cruise lines, will take their business to places where they can resume sailing. Back on March 3 I started a thread about this topic Will USA based cruises be the last to restart?

I might be wrong, but I think the reason the Magic is not on the CDC chart is because it hasn't been in US waters for so long. It can be added as and when, but all the time it's in Europe there is no need.

I'd love for the Magic to stay in Europe - but I don't think it's financially viable - people from the US are willing to pay more for European/UK cruises than Europeans/British people are.... however that's in normal times without the pent up demand.... still, with kids heading back to school in September, thier target market won't be in such easy supply.

Some more helpful info for first time UK cruisers thinking about booking these cruises. This will give you an idea of whats included with the cruise cost and what you might have to pay extra for. It will also explain why DCL prices may be higher than other cruises lines, where there are alot more things things that have an extra charge.

The onboard currency is US dollars
Tips are calculated at $13.50 per person in your stateroom per day and are automatically added to your onboard account. These tips cover your stateroom host (housekeeping) and your restaurant server. If you order room service, you are expected to tip $1 per item, if you order an alcoholic drink at the bar you are expected to tip as well.
The ship is on a cashless system, everything is charged to your onboard ship account ie your stateroom.

In before Covid times,
  • all food from the main dining rooms, the quick service locations, the snacks in the coffee shop and bars and room service were no extra charge.
  • food items on room service such as cans or bottle of soda or items which are prepackaged have a charge and its clearly listed on the room service menu
  • food and snack items at the concessions kiosk at the theater/ cinema have an extra charge
  • the only food that was an extra charge was Palo, the over 18 optional restaurant.
  • soft drinks / soda were no extra charge
  • tea and coffee in the restaurants was no extra charge, but drinks from the specialty coffee shop were extra charge.
  • alcohol was an extra charge
  • Spa treatments were an extra charge

Some more helpful info for first time UK cruisers thinking about booking these cruises. This will give you an idea of whats included with the cruise cost and what you might have to pay extra for. It will also explain why DCL prices may be higher than other cruises lines, where there are alot more things things that have an extra charge.

The onboard currency is US dollars
Tips are calculated at $13.50 per person in your stateroom per day and are automatically added to your onboard account. These tips cover your stateroom host (housekeeping) and your restaurant server. If you order room service, you are expected to tip $1 per item, if you order an alcoholic drink at the bar you are expected to tip as well.
The ship is on a cashless system, everything is charged to your onboard ship account ie your stateroom.

In before Covid times,
  • all food from the main dining rooms, the quick service locations, the snacks in the coffee shop and bars and room service were no extra charge.
  • food items on room service such as cans or bottle of soda or items which are prepackaged have a charge and its clearly listed on the room service menu
  • food and snack items at the concessions kiosk at the theater/ cinema have an extra charge
  • the only food that was an extra charge was Palo, the over 18 optional restaurant.
  • soft drinks / soda were no extra charge
  • tea and coffee in the restaurants was no extra charge, but drinks from the specialty coffee shop were extra charge.
  • alcohol was an extra charge
  • Spa treatments were an extra charge
Thanks for being so proactive Tink, this has been a huge help for us potential first-time cruisers. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for being so proactive Tink, this has been a huge help for us potential first-time cruisers. Fingers crossed.
You are welcome. Disney Cruise Line is very different to the cruiselines most UK and Irish people go on. And I'm guessing that many UK people will try these short cruises to test out DCL, to see if its worth the money for a normal cruise. I'm also guessing that many UK people will be really surprised at the high quality cruise experience, compared to the normal cruise experience and that just because its Disney its not just a kiddie cruise. I know how Disney is viewed here, that its not really though of as an adult experience, so I think its a very smart business move, to open up DCL to a new market segment.

New Liverpool Port Information Page

IMPORTANT NOTE: The ship will be docked at the Liverpool Cruise Terminal, but please DO NOT head directly for the terminal. COVID-19 testing, luggage drop and check-in will all take place at the M&S Bank Arena Liverpool. Once you have completed your check-in, you will be taken on the 5-minute bus ride to the ship.

M&S Bank Arena, Convention and Exhibition Centre Liverpool

Address

M&S Bank Arena, Convention and Exhibition Centre
Queen’s Wharf
Liverpool
L3 4BX

Driving Directions

From the North:
Leave the M6 at junction 26 and follow signs for M58 Liverpool. Continue to the end of the M58 and then follow signs for A59 Liverpool.

From the South: Leave the M6 at junction 21A and take the M62 to Liverpool. At the end of the M62, follow signs for Liverpool City Centre along Edge Lane.

From the Wirral, Wales and the M53: Leave the M53 motorway at junction 3 signposted Birkenhead and follow the A552 for the Birkenhead (Queensway) Tunnel and Liverpool City Centre. Exit the tunnel via the George's Dock Gates/A5036 exit and turn left along The Strand.

In all cases, follow the brown on white tourist route signs for the Waterfront. The Arena, Convention and Exhibition Centre is well signposted off the A562 road which runs through the waterfront area.

If using Satnav, set your destination to postcode L3 4BX.

As you approach the Arena, follow the signs to the car park or drop off area as appropriate.

Parking
There is ample long-stay parking at the Arena, which is a short walk to the terminal entrance. Please visit Cruise & Passenger Services website to book your parking space in advance.

By Train
There are frequent trains to major destinations across the UK to Liverpool Lime Street Station, by various operators. Direct trains run at least hourly from stations such as Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Preston, Blackpool, Chester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham, Stafford and London, as well as regular local trains.

By Taxi
Taxis will be available at the Arena, but pre-booking is recommended.

Arrival Time
You should arrive at the time chosen in My Online Check-in. Please do not go directly to the cruise ship, as you will need to complete COVID-19 testing, luggage drop-off and check-in at the Arena first. If you arrive early, you will not be able to enter the Arena until your designated time.

Luggage Handling & Transfers
Disney Cruise Line representatives will be at the arena to meet, greet and check in Guests. Porters will be on hand to assist with luggage.

Note: All Guests must be on board the ship by 6:30 PM.

COVID-19 Testing
When you arrive at the Arena you will need to complete a Lateral Flow Rapid COVID-19 test. Once you and your party have tested negative, you will be able to embark. The test will be conducted before entering the Arena.

Youth Activities
Wristbands will be distributed at the check-in area to Guests who have pre-registered for Youth Activities as part of My Online Check-In. Guests can also register their children on board at Youth Activities.

Wheelchair Accessibility
The Arena and terminal buildings and parking areas are wheelchair accessible. If you require temporary use of a wheelchair at the pier upon embarkation or debarkation, please request one upon arrival at the Arena. Note that the port is tidal, so at certain times the gangway will be steep. Assistance will be provided.

New Newcastle Port Information Page

Newcastle Port Terminal

Address

Port of Tyne International Passenger Terminal
Cobledene
North Shields
Tyne and Wear
NE29 6EE

Driving Directions

From the A1, follow the A19 or A194(M) towards the Tyne Tunnel and the ferry port. From the South, you will need to pass through the Tyne Tunnel (car toll £1.80, payment by coins only, or with an online account).

Turn off onto the A193 following the ship shapes toward the Ferry Port. Follow these signs through 7 roundabouts in quick succession and enter the port, where parking and drop-off locations are well signed.

If using Satnav, set your destination to postcode NE29 6EE.

Parking
There is ample long-stay parking at the terminal, which is just a 2-minute shuttle bus ride to the terminal entrance. There’s no need to pre-book parking—you can pay on the day.

By Train
There are frequent trains from major destinations across the UK to Newcastle Station, run by various operators. Direct trains run at least hourly from stations such as Edinburgh, York, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and London. The nearest Metro station is Meadow Well.

By Taxi
Only very limited taxis are available, so consider booking one in advance.

Arrival Time
You should arrive at the time chosen in My Online Check-in. If you arrive early, you will not be able to enter the cruise terminal until your designated time.

Disney Cruise Line representatives will be at the terminal to meet, greet and check in Guests. Porters will be on hand to assist with luggage.

COVID-19 Testing
When you arrive at the terminal, you will need to complete a Lateral Flow Rapid COVID test. Once you and your party have tested negative, you will be able to embark. The test will be conducted before entering the terminal.

Youth Activities
Wristbands will be distributed at the check-in area to Guests who have pre-registered for Youth Activities as part of My Online Check-In. Guests can also register their children on board at Youth Activities.

Wheelchair Accessibility
The terminal buildings and parking areas are wheelchair accessible. If you require temporary use of a wheelchair at the pier upon embarkation or debarkation, please request one upon arrival at the terminal. Note that the port is tidal, so at certain times the gangway will be steep. Assistance will be provided.

New London Tilbury Port Information Page

London International Cruise Terminal Tilbury

Address

London International Cruise Terminal
Tilbury
Essex
RM18 7NG

Driving Directions

Head for M25 Junction 30, and follow A13(E) towards Tilbury. Follow the A13 for 3 miles, before taking the slip road for A1089 towards Tilbury & Docks. Continue on this road for 4 miles, going straight on at the roundabout towards Tilbury Docks and Tilbury Fort. Past the station at the well signposted junction, turn right into the cruise terminal. Parking and drop off locations are signed. If using Satnav, set your destination to postcode RM18 7NG.

Parking
There is ample long-stay parking at the terminal, which is a short walk away from the terminal entrance. Please visit Cruise & Passenger Services website to book your parking space in advance.

By Train
Trains operated by c2c run approximately every 30 minutes from London Fenchurch Street to Tilbury Town station, taking 40 minutes. There are also services from Southend. If arriving from London, cross the footbridge (lifts available) to platform one, and catch bus number 99 which runs every 30 minutes direct to the cruise terminal.

Buy a ticket to 'Tilbury Riverside'—it’s the same fare as to Tilbury Town, but will also allow you to use the connecting bus free of charge. The single fare from central London is currently £8.60*.  Note that Oyster / contactless cards are not valid to Tilbury.

From Kent and Southeast London, it’s also possible to take a train to Gravesend Station. From there, it’s a 10-minute walk to the ferry pier, where there is a regular ferry service direct to the cruise terminal.  Exit the station, and follow the pedestrianised Windmill Street / High Street to the riverside, where you will find Gravesend pier, which has a regular service directly to the cruise terminal with an excellent view of the Disney Magic. Learn more about Jetstream Tours.

By Taxi
Only very limited taxis are available, so consider booking one in advance.

Arrival Time
You should arrive at the time chosen in My Online Check-in. If you arrive early, you will not be able to enter the cruise terminal until your designated time.

Disney Cruise Line representatives will be at the terminal to meet, greet and check in Guests.  Porters will be on hand to assist with luggage.

COVID-19 Testing
When you arrive at the terminal you will need to complete a Lateral Flow Rapid COVID-19 test. Once you and your party have tested negative, you will be able to embark. The test will be conducted before entering the terminal.

Youth Activities

Wheelchair Accessibility
The cruise terminal building and parking areas are wheelchair accessible. If you require temporary use of a wheelchair at the pier upon embarkation or debarkation, please request one upon arrival at the cruise terminal.

*All rail and taxi fares and parking rates are approximate and subject to change. The rates provided are for informational purposes only.

New Southampton Port Information Page

Southampton Port Terminal

Address

Terminal address depends on departure date. Please check back for more information.
Cruise Terminal 5
Solent Road
Western Docks
Southampton
SO15 1HJEg

Mayflower Cruise Terminal
Herbert Walker Avenue
Western Docks
Southampton
SO15 1HJ

Driving Directions

Take the M3/M27 to Southampton. Leave the M27 at Junction 3 and follow the M271 towards Southampton and The Docks. At the end of the motorway, bear left onto the A33 towards City Centre and Docks. Continue along this road, bearing right along A33 towards Dock Gates 4-10. From here, follow the digital signs for the Disney Magic, which will direct you towards the correct terminal.

Parking
Depending on your cruise departure date, parking will either be available a short walk from the terminal or there will be a shuttle bus from the car park. If returning to a different terminal at the end of your cruise, a shuttle will be provided. Please visit ABParking Website to book your parking space in advance.

By Train
There are frequent trains from major destinations across the UK to Southampton Central Station, run by various operators—including fast trains every 30 minutes from London Waterloo, operated by Southwestern Railway with a journey time of around 75 minutes. Visit South Western Railway for more details. Direct trains also run hourly from stations such as Brighton, Gatwick, Portsmouth, Reading, Oxford, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff and Bournemouth.

By Taxi
Taxis will be available at the cruise terminal, but pre-booking is recommended.

Arrival Time

Disney Cruise Line representatives will be at the terminal to meet, greet and check in Guests.  Porters will be on hand to assist with luggage.

Note: All Guests must be on board the ship by 5:15 PM.

COVID-19 Testing
When you arrive at the terminal, you will need to complete a Lateral Flow Rapid COVID test. Once you and your party have tested negative, you will be able to embark. The test will be conducted before entering the terminal.

Youth Activities

Wheelchair Accessibility
The cruise terminal building and parking areas are wheelchair accessible. If you require temporary use of a wheelchair at the pier upon embarkation or debarkation, please request one upon arrival at the cruise terminal.

Last edited:
What's the earliest/latest you can board on a Disney cruise? Do some people not get on until late afternoon or evening, or is it quicker than that? I assume that the better your room the sooner you board, like 1st/Business on an airplane?

All aboard (when everyone is required to be on board) is usually around 4pm. I haven't looked at the UK itineraries but it is typically listed under Day 1.

Boarding starts in the morning. Your boarding order is determined mostly by the time you select when you fill out online registration. This opens for platinum members first, then gold, silver, and finally new cruisers---with about 15 days between each level's opening date. Other than concierge rooms, the room level does not have any impact of when you can signup for boarding times, free ticketed cruise activities (princess gatherings), specialty restaurant/activity reservations, and port adventures.

What's the earliest/latest you can board on a Disney cruise? Do some people not get on until late afternoon or evening, or is it quicker than that? I assume that the better your room the sooner you board, like 1st/Business on an airplane?

All Aboard at London Tilbury, Newcastle and Liverpool is 6.30pm
All Aboard at Southampton is 5.15pm

This time means when the doors close. As the times are 2 hours later than before Covid DCL cruises, this is most likely to due to the new social Covid social distancing. You will be able to choose your boarding time when you do online check in. They have mentioned in the new boarding procedure information not to arrive before your boarding time, so it sounds like they will have longer times between boarding groups and that they will be strict about the times people are allowed into the terminal.

Before Covid , everyone had to be off the ship by 9am and they usually starting boarding the next cruise around 11am.
Before Covid people had between 11am to 4pm to board the ship.

All aboard (when everyone is required to be on board) is usually around 4pm. I haven't looked at the UK itineraries but it is typically listed under Day 1.

Boarding starts in the morning. Your boarding order is determined mostly by the time you select when you fill out online registration. This opens for platinum members first, then gold, silver, and finally new cruisers---with about 15 days between each level's opening date. Other than concierge rooms, the room level does not have any impact of when you can signup for boarding times, free ticketed cruise activities (princess gatherings), specialty restaurant/activity reservations, and port adventures.

As DCL have mentioned boarding times, and Castaway Club members have advance booking days, I expect they will follow the same boarding procedure, but as the all aboard times at London Tilbury, Newcastle and Liverpool is 6.30pm and at Southampton it is 5.15pm , it my guess is that there will be 30 minutes between boarding times and its possible the amount of people in each time group will be smaller. They have also mentioned that passenger should not arrive at the cruise terminal before their specified time. I expect this is to limit the amount of people in the cruise terminal.

As these UK sailings are round trip cruises to no where, there are no port adventures / port excursions.

The before Covid scenes of the big crowds and everyone waiting in line inside the cruise terminal are gone. It is my guess that only the people in the specific time group will be allowed inside the building.

We are basically starting with a clean slate for these sailings. Just like with Walt Disney World, much of the information about how cruising was, and what way things were done is now invalid.

Last edited:
Yes, very interesting times ahead. I wonder how interaction with the characters will be. That was one of the big benefits of DCL.
If nightclubs etc will be open (on land) in the UK from late June, surely the need for social distancing wont be the same on board?

I hope they dont cheapen the experience for the UK market, as typically UK/European-ers would be less picky etc than US cruisers on Disney.

Yes, very interesting times ahead. I wonder how interaction with the characters will be. That was one of the big benefits of DCL.

I would expect character interactions will be the same as whats currently happening at Walt Disney World and what will happen in Disneyland California when it reopens in a few weeks. The characters are at a distance, there is no hugging or autographs and photos are only from a distance too. On DCL I expect they will use the atrium balconies for the characters, or the area in front of Lumieres. I doubt they will have ticketed meet and greets they used to have. For Rapunzel's Royal Table, if they do have characters, I doubt they will go table to table, but they will probably just stay at the stage area. For Animators Palette I doubt Mickey will be going table to table,, if he is there, he will probably just be a roped off area. If the characters visit the kids club, again it wont be like before and it will be at a distance.

People need to really look at what Walt Disney World is like, and to get their heads around that for these UK cruises at least and most likely any other restart of DCL , the experiences will be very different.

Southampton Port Terminal

Address

Terminal address depends on departure date. Please check back for more information.
Cruise Terminal 5
Solent Road
Western Docks
Southampton
SO15 1HJEg

Mayflower Cruise Terminal
Herbert Walker Avenue
Western Docks
Southampton
SO15 1HJ

For a while some actual dates were on this website, but they've been taken down again. I have an app monitoring the website for changes and the dates that were here were only the first 4 in August which immediately made me suspicious that they are not running as many cruises as initially advertised, perhaps because there are so many other cruise lines running UK domestics. For the record the "Terminal 5" dates were 4,9 and 13 Aug, and the Mayflower was the 6th. Also note how the postcode is clearly invalid for T5. Clearly this whole thing has been done in a rush.

For a while some actual dates were on this website, but they've been taken down again. I have an app monitoring the website for changes and the dates that were here were only the first 4 in August which immediately made me suspicious that they are not running as many cruises as initially advertised, perhaps because there are so many other cruise lines running UK domestics. For the record the "Terminal 5" dates were 4,9 and 13 Aug, and the Mayflower was the 6th. Also note how the postcode is clearly invalid for T5. Clearly this whole thing has been done in a rush.

I rearranged the cruise dates into chronological order when they were first announced. These are what was listed for Southampton.
  1. 4th August, 2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  2. 6th August 3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  3. 9th August -Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  4. 13th August,3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  5. 16th August, 2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  6. 18th August, 2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  7. 20th August, 3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  8. 23rd August 4-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  9. 27th August 3-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  10. 30th August, 2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
  11. 1st September 2-Night Disney Magic at Sea UK Staycation Departure from Southampton
I agree that the information is being gathered in a rush and information is changing all the time. Also most likely it is DCL staff in Florida who are writing the website copy, as the new port pages went live around 10pm UK time on Saturday, which is 5pm Florida time, which suggests to me that they were working on this copy and website pages all day Florida time.

These are very different times and DCL staff from the ones working with the ports to the website team and everyone in between are obviously under huge stress and working hard to sort all this out. We just need to be patient and give them a shout out and thanks for their hard work instead of jumping on little mistakes. It will all turn out right in the end and soon we will have YouTube videos and blogs from actual real passengers on The Magic in 2021. :)

Thanks for the info !!

I think the biggest elephant in the room will be what testing is required.

Is it "just" the lateral flow test on the day, or is it LFT and a paid PCR test beforehand

In some ways, i'll bet that even DCL cant answer this yet as it will be led by government guidelines .

Personally, hoping it is just the need for a LFT on the day

Sorry - another random one.

Onboard / ship credit.

Do DCL offer this if you book direct with them, or is it a Travel agency only thing ?

What is the expectation on the UK cruises for value...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter