• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL Europe Summer 2022 approaching - what are you doing?

After much discussion we decided to cancel our late June European cruise today. With all the disruptions caused by Omicron, it was a reminder that this isn't over. I hope that things are back to normal by summer, and we are still traveling to the UK for Christmas (with lots of last minute hoops), but I don't want to stress about getting on a ship in 6+ months. We also had a complication with our son's graduation so that made it a little easier.

After much discussion we decided to cancel our late June European cruise today. With all the disruptions caused by Omicron, it was a reminder that this isn't over. I hope that things are back to normal by summer, and we are still traveling to the UK for Christmas (with lots of last minute hoops), but I don't want to stress about getting on a ship in 6+ months. We also had a complication with our son's graduation so that made it a little easier.

As others have said, planning for a memorable cruise like this is exciting and a big part of the fun.
For me, at this point 6 months before a cruise like this I'd be counting the days and be insanely excited with tons of planning... Not this time, I have zero excitement and lots of stress as to whether should I cancel or just brave it and deal with all the headaches that involve cruising in Europe in the middle of a raging pandemic.
Right now I'm leaning to cancel but I'm hoping things will somehow miraculously improve by march before PIF.

We were supposed to be on the May TA followed by an NCL Med cruise leaving out of Barcelona. We cancelled both a couple of weeks ago. We decided the uncertainty of Covid requirements / restrictions /possible quarantine just wasn't worth it, especially given the logistics of testing requirements for switching between two different cruise lines.

We will get back to Europe some day, just not in 2022.

Still sticking to our June Italy/Greece plans. I am still optimistic that June will look much better than right now, much like last summer. I had family travel to Italy this summer and really enjoy it and I have no reason to think next summer will be any different, if not a little better. Our biggest question is whether Disney will actual sail. I am optimistic they will, and if not, we are ok with converting the trip to a land-based trip (or maybe another line) given this is the third attempt to go and life is short. My daughters are getting into the young-adult ages where the window may be closing to do this kind of big trip for awhile. I don't think heading into another long winter is the time to turn sour on what will be happening next June.

Still sticking to our June Italy/Greece plans. I am still optimistic that June will look much better than right now, much like last summer. I had family travel to Italy this summer and really enjoy it and I have no reason to think next summer will be any different, if not a little better. Our biggest question is whether Disney will actual sail. I am optimistic they will, and if not, we are ok with converting the trip to a land-based trip (or maybe another line) given this is the third attempt to go and life is short. My daughters are getting into the young-adult ages where the window may be closing to do this kind of big trip for awhile. I don't think heading into another long winter is the time to turn sour on what will be happening next June.
It doesn't mean the restrictions will be any better though. I think Disney will sail as long as the travel restrictions aren't so prohibitive that Americans don't want to go. I'm looking at some of the less expensive European cruises. Maybe the 7 night baltic or the TA. I feel like the 11 night Baltic is just too much money to invest under the circumstances. There could be some discounts on the horizon so waiting it out and staying flexible might be the best option.

I can see Disney converting the European Cruises to the staycation stays they did in 2021. I haven't cancelled but I am making backup plans. I just booked a RC cruise to Bermuda with a refundable deposit and will add a few days in Orlando. Also looking at a Disneyland/Universal Hollywood/Knotts Berry Farm option. I have a placeholder, and really want the Disney Cruise, but I do not need any more stress nor the high costs of airfare/hotel/transportation.

As others have said, planning for a memorable cruise like this is exciting and a big part of the fun.
For me, at this point 6 months before a cruise like this I'd be counting the days and be insanely excited with tons of planning... Not this time, I have zero excitement and lots of stress as to whether should I cancel or just brave it and deal with all the headaches that involve cruising in Europe in the middle of a raging pandemic.
Right now I'm leaning to cancel but I'm hoping things will somehow miraculously improve by march before PIF.
It wasn’t an easy decision for us so I totally understand the grappling. Preplanning excitement (or lack thereof) was the biggie for me too—it was just causing stress that I don’t need. :(

I am still hanging on to our TA. However, I do think Disney might cancel it and stick to the European staycations like last year. All I can do is wait and hope things improve in the Spring.

I think a part of our decision to cancel was wanting to confirm plans for our US trip. I would guess more people will be willing to travel this coming summer but may plan more domestic trips. There are a couple of things we want to do on our driving trip that really de require reserving months in advance.

I think the idea of planning a land trip to Iceland is a good one. I will look into that!

We are still planning on our Norwegian Fjords cruise. Whether we cancel is going to have a lot to do with what's being offered.

It doesn't mean the restrictions will be any better though. I think Disney will sail as long as the travel restrictions aren't so prohibitive that Americans don't want to go. I'm looking at some of the less expensive European cruises. Maybe the 7 night baltic or the TA. I feel like the 11 night Baltic is just too much money to invest under the circumstances. There could be some discounts on the horizon so waiting it out and staying flexible might be the best option.

Cheaper cruises are something I will look at as we get a bit closer to the paid-in-full date. I agree that the longer cruises, at Disney prices, are a much bigger risk. It would be disappointing to pay that kind of money and not be able to enjoy the ports fully.

The truth is that we were very much on the fence about whether to do the cruise versus a land trip - so if I need to make it a land trip, I won't be disappointed.

I had a brother travel all over Italy last summer and he had a great trip. Either things will improve so much that restrictions will be light or gone, or they will still be in place and crowds will be on the lighter side. There are positives to both scenarios. The third option, that things are worse than last summer, seems unlikely given many factors (which we aren't really allowed to discuss here). The bottom line is that even if things are like last summer, we will have a good time.

It's hard to be excited right now. But I would have said the same thing last December, and things rapidly changed in the spring. I suspect that will happen again. We will be flexible and ready to roll with the conditions.

I'd suggest Iceland by land if you can. It's AMAZING, and much of it you don't see/can't get to on DCL itineraries. It's a pretty easy place to travel as an English speaker, even during current circumstances. Loved it more then I ever expected to.
Also second Iceland by land. We rented a car for a week and drove the ring road around the island. It was amazing and very easy to navigate around. And literally no traffic or people for hours sometimes

We are still planning on our Norwegian Fjords cruise. Whether we cancel is going to have a lot to do with what's being offered.
But how will we know what is being offered? For these unique cruises, you won’t see the excursions until you are PIF. That’s something I am struggling with for our Alaska cruise.

Cheaper cruises are something I will look at as we get a bit closer to the paid-in-full date. I agree that the longer cruises, at Disney prices, are a much bigger risk. It would be disappointing to pay that kind of money and not be able to enjoy the ports fully.

The truth is that we were very much on the fence about whether to do the cruise versus a land trip - so if I need to make it a land trip, I won't be disappointed.

I had a brother travel all over Italy last summer and he had a great trip. Either things will improve so much that restrictions will be light or gone, or they will still be in place and crowds will be on the lighter side. There are positives to both scenarios. The third option, that things are worse than last summer, seems unlikely given many factors (which we aren't really allowed to discuss here). The bottom line is that even if things are like last summer, we will have a good time.

It's hard to be excited right now. But I would have said the same thing last December, and things rapidly changed in the spring. I suspect that will happen again. We will be flexible and ready to roll with the conditions.
I am considering a land trip and the west bound TA to home soil. It would eliminate the PCR to get back in US. I think the PCR is the biggest stresser when it comes to traveling. I’ve cruised and traveled frequently the last two years, but getting stranded somewhere is a concern.

Only this week did I start to waver a bit on our 12 night Italy/Greece cruise.

Mostly nervous about how expensive the cruise is and the risk of arriving in Rome or Barcelona and discovering a surprise positive test.

We don’t mind masking, etc - but between the nerves of a positive test and the possibility of having to make compromises with port activities, I’m wondering if the investment is right at this time.

Mostly nervous about how expensive the cruise is and the risk of arriving in Rome or Barcelona and discovering a surprise positive test.

We don’t mind masking, etc - but between the nerves of a positive test and the possibility of having to make compromises with port activities, I’m wondering if the investment is right at this time.
My inlaws are taking my kids to Europe and on cruise this summer. They are departing from Rome.
We were all fine with it. Only yesterday my mother n law called and sounded nervous about going.
This is on another line. She said the same thing....getting there or leaving there and finding you are
positive. The headache alone.....

We traveled to France and Germany summer of 2021 and found travel more reasonable than at home. We traveled on our own and also did a German operated river cruise. Onboard, the only restrictions were masks when walking around inside the ship. Onndeck or being seated in the restaurant or lounge masks were not required. I don't recall seeing anyone wear a mask outdoors. I hope that by this summer things will have calmed down and Europe is open to tourism, with similar levels of open. Prior to travel we were worried about testing before coming home, but found numerous test sites in both countries, in tents or kiosks along the street in populated areas. Our tests in Germany were free, no waiting or appointment, with results in about 20 minutes. If DCL has restrictive policies with respect to shore visits, however, what the countries offer will be of little consequence.

I think we're on the same cruise and I have the exact same mindset.
For us the top 3 issues are:
1. Too much $$ for flights to Europe only to be told of a positive test result & hence no cruise for us= vacation ruined.
2. Having to quarantine for who knows how long and who knows in what kind of hotel.
3. The possibility that excursions are in a bubble and we are not allowed to wander on our own.

I think we're on the same cruise and I have the exact same mindset.
For us the top 3 issues are:
1. Too much $$ for flights to Europe only to be told of a positive test result & hence no cruise for us= vacation ruined.
2. Having to quarantine for who knows how long and who knows in what kind of hotel.
3. The possibility that excursions are in a bubble and we are not allowed to wander on our own.

This is exactly our worry!!

I'm currently on the EBTA immediately followed by a 7-night med cruse on Royal Caribbean departing from Barcelona. With the way things are right now, if my PIF date was approaching I'd cancel the Disney cruise but keep the RCI cruise. The main reason for the difference is that the Disney cruise date flexibility policy only applies to sailings through 12/31. RCI's applies for all bookings this year regardless of cruise date, and also allows moving 48 hours before sailing. I'm willing to wait and see and make changes at the last minute, but not if I'm going to pay a penalty if things don't look acceptable to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter