DCL Insurance - Cancel for Any Reason Question

mmouse37

DCL Diva!!
I was just reading the terms of DCL's insurance (which I have never used as we usually buy third party insurance). One point really caught my eye.

The last bullet of the terms states: Residents of the State of New York are not required to purchase Disney Cruise Line Travel Protection in order to access the cancel for any reason credit feature. Please call 1-866-784-1622 for details.

Before I call does anyone here know what this is about? It does not seem believable that you wouldn't have to purchase the protection but still be able to access the Cancel for any Reason credit.

Here is the link with the full terms:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/vacation-protection-plan/

MJ

Different states have different laws.

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/ogco2010/rg100206.htm

6) May an insurer include in its travel insurance policy a “Cancel for Any Reason Waiver” or “Change of Mind” coverage?

6) No. An insurer may not include “Cancel for Any Reason Waiver” or “Change of Mind” coverage in its travel insurance policies because such coverage is not insurance, nor is it necessarily or properly incidental to the kinds of insurance that an insurer is authorized to write in this state.

So I'm not actually sure what that means for the NY resident. Not sure if they specifically can always cancel for any reason, OR if they are totally excluded from it b/c it's not insurance under NY law.

Disney wasn't even allowed to sell their insurance in WA until relatively recently, as an example of different state laws. (insurance companies here MUST allow the pre-existing condition waiver, and Disney didn't)

So... this is definitely an OLD thread, but I have exactly the same question!

I'm a NY resident, and from first glance it looks like they say we can cancel any time for credit. But, as OP states - seems like there's more to it.

Can anyone share an update if they have additional information? Currently on hold waiting to ask the insurance company the question, but given the current situation no clue how long that might take.

So... this is definitely an OLD thread, but I have exactly the same question!

I'm a NY resident, and from first glance it looks like they say we can cancel any time for credit. But, as OP states - seems like there's more to it.

Can anyone share an update if they have additional information? Currently on hold waiting to ask the insurance company the question, but given the current situation no clue how long that might take.

same thing as quoted above. See:
https://www.dfs.ny.gov/insurance/ogco2010/rg100206.htm
cancel for any reason insurance is not available in NY. Well, except apparently six insurance companies can now offer it per an article in Reuters

Just a heads up from a non DCL cruise group I’m on. Apparently insurers can deny your cancel for any reason claim IF you give covid as your reason. It’s a weird priority of claims but since many policies don’t cover a pandemic it also invalidates the cancel for any reason. This happened to several people with DIFFERENT third party insurers. So be careful if using cancel for any reason that if asked for a reason you have a non-covid one.

DCL's "cancel for any reason" offering is different than regular travel insurance coverage. I believe the DCL offering is strictly through DCL; while purchase of the DCL-offered insurance coverage is a pre-requisite to qualify, the CFAR doesn't actually get administered or paid by the insurance company. It is handled separately by DCL after the insurance provider has officially denied a claim. Therefore I suspect it is not subject to traditional state insurance rules and regulations. It also doesn't have the COVID-19 or pandemic exclusion.

That could be an important distinction when comparing travel insurance policies.

DCL's "cancel for any reason" offering is different than regular travel insurance coverage. I believe the DCL offering is strictly through DCL; while purchase of the DCL-offered insurance coverage is a pre-requisite to qualify, the CFAR doesn't actually get administered or paid by the insurance company. It is handled separately by DCL after the insurance provider has officially denied a claim. Therefore I suspect it is not subject to traditional state insurance rules and regulations. It also doesn't have the COVID-19 or pandemic exclusion.

That could be an important distinction when comparing travel insurance policies.

Has Disney's insurance been covering Covid? I hadn't heard of anything. That could really give them the edge that I really didn't feel they had before. Does Disney's give you a refund or a credit? Thanks

Does Disney's give you a refund or a credit?
If you cancel and it is not a covered reason for the insurance, DCL gives a 70% credit of any non-refundable amount to be used within 12 months.

i have not heard any reports of DCL denying any CFAR claims due to COVID-19. But with so many cruises canceled by DCL, there may not have been many folks looking to invoke that option.

If you cancel and it is not a covered reason for the insurance, DCL gives a 70% credit of any non-refundable amount to be used within 12 months.

i have not heard any reports of DCL denying any CFAR claims due to COVID-19. But with so many cruises canceled by DCL, there may not have been many folks looking to invoke that option.

I was just thinking that this could be really useful if you get denied boarding due to temperature. Although, I wonder how DCL handles that? I haven't heard of anyone getting denied boarding, but I am sure it happened with the last cruises to go. I am already paid in full, so I can't buy it for our July cruise. However, if it's canceled/rebooked, I would highly consider it. I don't usually bother, because we rarely get sick. With Covid though, you never know.

Ok one more question to piggy-back off of my first. I got to looking into the Disney cancellation options and as a Missouri resident (also applies for New York/Minnesota), it appears I can purchase "cancel for any reason" without purchasing the full protection plan. Has anyone done that? I called the number on the insurance page and the lady on the phone had no clue!

Ok one more question to piggy-back off of my first. I got to looking into the Disney cancellation options and as a Missouri resident (also applies for New York/Minnesota), it appears I can purchase "cancel for any reason" without purchasing the full protection plan. Has anyone done that? I called the number on the insurance page and the lady on the phone had no clue!
I am also in Missouri and also made inquiries and it is not actually a thing. The website is just confusingly worded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter