DCL Newbie-what else should I bring?

IlovePluto

Earning My Ears
I'm 2 weeks out from our CC Double Dip 5 night cruise and having some feelings of anxiety over making sure I have EVERYTHING we need...so I have a couple questions if you don't mind helping!

What are the things you wish you had brought along but didn't?

Also, what else do people decorate their doors with? I've got the big family magnet so far....

We made a disney character magnet for every mebmber of our party. We asked each what their favorite character was, then used magnetic printer sheets. The sizing was generally 2 or 3 characters were able to fit on a single sheet. We added their first name at the bottom of each character, and then cut them out.

We also did a black mickey ears for each member, with their first name in white lettering through the middle. I think we were able to fit 6 ears on each sheet.

Our first cruise I did not bring any medication except for a few Advil. My DS come down with strep throat and a bad rash. We got RX from ship dr. but needed more advil, benadryl, and cough drops. The ships store had these items but at a huge markup. Our next cruise I packed every over the counter medicine I could think of. Thankfully, we did not need them but made me feel better mentally to have them.

So we have only been on two cruises but I have found you will need a power strip in your room. There are very few outlets and for charging purposes, it comes in real handy. We also had an inside room on one of the cruises and it is VERY dark at night so a couple small flashlights really helped getting to the bathroom without turning all the lights on and waking everyone.

We also had great success with a Hanging Toiletry Bag from LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/7388...R0&page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-large - this was a HUGE plus as counter space in the bathroom is non-existent.

We also are big wine drinkers and wine on the Ship is very expensive so we brought our own case on board. You can drink it for free in your room while getting ready to go out at night or pay a corking fee ($15 when we went per bottle) if you take it to dinner. They held the bottles if we did not finish that night and it was sitting at our table for the next meal.

I think we also brought a small digital clock as again the rooms are very dark and it is hard to tell time at night.

Have a blast, you will love it.

Thank you @dfherrera - very helpful!!

Also, I heard bottled water is expensive on board and that we could take a case of water on with us...?? true??

So we have only been on two cruises but I have found you will need a power strip in your room.
Power strips are on the restricted list.

Also, I heard bottled water is expensive on board and that we could take a case of water on with us...?? true??

Yes, you may carry on beverages of any type. The key is that you have to carry them on -- Disney requests they are not in checked baggage. You will have to carry it with you until your room is ready at about 1:30pm.

What kind of clocks do they have in the cabins?
they have an ipod docking station that has a clock. We find it very hard to use (really learned how to adjust the time on it during the transatlantic where we had to do it 6 times!) They have a wake-up call system if you want to use that rather than an alarm. But we had a couple cruises where that wasn't working so I find it easier to travel with a small travel alarm clock.

I have a huge list of just in case items, we drive to the port so I don't worry about carrying it all but if I could only take one thing it would be a well stocked first aid kit.

A night light is nice, or use glow sticks. We found our glow sticks lasted a couple of nights to give us at least a little light.

For me, a jacket for the dining rooms is a must. :)

Have a wonderful time.

Ziplock bags. I used them for everything from waterproofing phones and packing wet bathing suits to keeping extra pastries fresh for later.

Magnets for the walls, then you can stick notes, tickets, navigators etc on the walls where they won't get lost!
Gillian.

Instead of a power strip I use a TYLT battery pack for our phones/ipads. It allows up to 3 things to charge at once and plugs in only once. Since it's a battery pack we use it on CC to play music from our iPod and mini speaker. We also take travel size laundry detergent packs (with 3 kids we always have to do at least 1 wash) and also all our medications. Take a refillable cup or bottle for water from the water station (you can also buy some on board, we like the Tervis cups with the lids, no sweating).

Extra sunscreen. We were on the 7day and ended up using way more than we thought. I was also glad I had gone ahead and purchased the jellyfish repellant/sunscreen for use in Castaway. About 60 minutes after we got there men, women and children were complaining of burning and itching but my kid was still in the water.
We also brought these: http://www.amazon.com/Purex-Complet...pebp=1434307107712&perid=4C3E29516BC04D96BDFE for doing laundry on board.
I always have a permanently stocked travel kit that never leaves my suitcase. Emory board, meds, bandages of different types, etc.
I also went to the Dollar Tree and got some of the large, plastic clothespins. Used for many things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter