DCL Onboard Restricted Items Policy Updates: Decorations, Ducks and Ashes and More

I really wish DCL would communicate the duck change to guests as well as update the website with an official change. As @MomOTwins said, the FB group I joined has some people posting that they are bringing them regardless because nothing official has been communicated by DCL and it's only "discouraged". It's the first time I joined a FB cruise group due to our first time traveling to these ports, and I cannot relate to the mindset of some of these members.

I think if parents want to bring ducks as bath toys for use in the room...that should be fine. And as fish extender gifts, fine as well. (Though I'm also of the opinion that with as militaristic as some FE organizers have become, Disney should reinstate the FE ban as well.)
Unless someone with a duck for his/her child’s bath plans on inviting me into their stateroom, I think their single duck in a non-public space is safe…

Regardless, I still think someone should start a petition to ban all ducks on all DCL ships.

When they are becoming such a divided issue, why even bring them in the first place?? Is this the new way to be creative with the rules, bring them, if questioned say oh no these are just gifts but then do as you always do and hide them anyway???
In my case, I have already bought the ducks; but the reason is because it's fun. I like making kids happy. I also have handled out stickers, mardi gras beads on mardi gras and pirate bandanas (on the Wish) to folks who didn't know about pirate night and were sad they didn't have anything to wear. My understanding of the problems people have is that hiding the ducks is could be potentially dangerous, lead to them being thrown out and causing waste and extra work for cast members. Handing them out as gifts is not being creative with the rules. It is following them both literally and in the spirit of the reasons for the rules.
I don't think pixie dusting should be stopped. I've had people give my kids and I things in the parks and on the ships. It helps create the magic.

Therefore, I will henceforth be looking for ducks and depositing any I see in the nearest garbage bin. Maybe I can help make a little less work for CMs who work their tails off to give us amazing vacations and don’t need to spend hours picking up spoiled guests’ plastic-happy-meal-toy-quality-nonbiodegradable-garbage.

If there are tags on the duck to contact whoever so they know it was found, I'd take that duck right to Guest Services so they can contact the hider and clearly communicate the no hiding policy.

Unless someone with a duck for his/her child’s bath plans on inviting me into their stateroom, I think their single duck in a non-public space is safe…

Regardless, I still think someone should start a petition to ban all ducks on all DCL ships.

I was hoping there would be someone with more experience.
You could always send an email. I just did as shown below. I used the Contact Us option on the DCL website.

IMG_0984.jpeg

Someone on my cruise meet group on social media posted a photo of all their ducks ready to go for our upcoming cruise on the Magic and I indicated that there is no more hiding. Another member of our group said that she's onboard the Magic right now and that "cast members were literally both letting and encouraging people to rehide and find ducks on the cruise"

There really does need to be something a little more official. I know it can be a little tricky to update customer facing websites. I used to work for Apple and wrote articles for their Knowledge Base and my articles had to go through Marketing, Legal, and Editing before being posted, which could often take a week or two, but we were sometimes able to fast-track really big issues and get something up in just a few days. This thread was posted on Dec 22 and I know that the holidays probably delayed things, but it really seems that they should have something official by now.

she's onboard the Magic right now and that "cast members were literally both letting and encouraging people to rehide and find ducks on the cruise"
I think guests forget that crew come in from vacation having missed anywhere from 5-11 weeks of updates. So it takes a bit for crew to get on the same page. We're constantly reminding the returners, oh hey, that's changed. My last returners package was 6 pages front and back. it's a lot to remember when you've been off for 2 months.

I think guests forget that crew come in from vacation having missed anywhere from 5-11 weeks of updates. So it takes a bit for crew to get on the same page. We're constantly reminding the returners, oh hey, that's changed. My last returners package was 6 pages front and back. it's a lot to remember when you've been off for 2 months.
I imagine it's a lot. This is a big change though and it's frustrating when there's inconsistency about something this impactful. I'm trying to argue with people on my cruise meet group who are saying they are going to do it anyway because (and this is a direct quote) "from what I hear no one is getting bothered about it .." It's unfortunate that people (as said above) need it spelled out for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter