• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL Onboard Restricted Items Policy Updates: Decorations, Ducks and Ashes and More

Disney needs to put out an official statement. The people selected for PlanDisney know no more about the rules or have any more authority than the average person on this message board.
Maybe not, but it is considered an "official" Disney site. And you get the same answer if you call or email.

Disney needs to put out an official statement. The people selected for PlanDisney know no more about the rules or have any more authority than the average person on this message board.

This is not quite accurate. In the past when they were the “Moms Panel” they were at about the knowledge level of travel agents. And back in the day these old answers they had weren’t the greatest to be honest.

In the last few years PlanDisney is now trained through Traditions by the Disney Ambassador team and Imagineers across each theme park and is the resource that guest services CMs use as reference when guests call/chat/email for answers and are tied to the Disney Parks Blog. Here at Disney Cruise Line at least, they aren’t treated as crew but have special access the same way the imagineers have when they visit and have access to Cast Member portals and have the power to say their opinion on something a Cast Members or crew can’t.

Last edited:
They were on a ship recently for their training and we were shocked at how much inside information they had on the Disney Treasure that I thought was only for CMs.

This is not quite accurate. In the past when they were the “Moms Panel” they were at about the knowledge level of travel agents. And back in the day these old answers they had weren’t the greatest to be honest.

In the last few years PlanDisney is now trained through Traditions by the Disney Ambassador team and Imagineers across each theme park and is the resource that guest services CMs use as reference when guests call/chat/email for answers and are tied to the Disney Parks Blog. Here at Disney Cruise Line at least, they aren’t treated as crew but have special access the same way the imagineers have when they visit and have access to Cast Member portals and have the power to say their opinion on something a Cast Members or crew can’t.
Unfortunately, they still aren't reliable. There was a thread not too long ago asking about document requirements for Canadians on Disney cruises and the PlanDisney answer was completely wrong in multiple ways.

So I wonder how they are going to interpret the no other company name for door decorations. Technically, sports teams are other companies. Movies that aren't Disney are part of other companies. Harry Potter is another company.
I'm also wondering how strict it will be. Does a tiny logo of the company who made the decorations count?

I agree about the ones who pack an extra suitcase, but it doesn't particularly bother me that people do FEs. I've done them and they were fun. If someone wants to bring an extra suitcase, maybe that's their way of having fun.
Oh agree. It doesn't bother me at all that people do FEs, I was just saying it really doesn't appeal to me. If they want to bring an extra suitcase for all their gifts, more power to them!

Unfortunately, they still aren't reliable. There was a thread not too long ago asking about document requirements for Canadians on Disney cruises and the PlanDisney answer was completely wrong in multiple ways.
Yeah, the net result seems to be that they can just give bad information more confidently.

Yeah, the net result seems to be that they can just give bad information more confidently.

I used to hate some of the old lazy answers the original moms gave but now I would say maybe 90% of the time I rank their knowledge as above regular non-management Cast Member and beyond Guest Services but below definitively talking to a manager, they feel like talking to your friend who is a Cast Member but who doesn't personally work in every department. Or like when we had Imagineers on board and when they were asked how far the Oceaneer bands could track they only gave the on-paper answer when we really knew where they really could in practice

Why are people releasing ‘new policy’ information that DCL has yet to announce themselves? I don’t want to call anyone out but when it comes to new policy I feel like it is in the best interest for the information to come from the official source. If DCL has not put it on the website then it is not policy. Most cruisers never look at these boards or groups and would have no idea about the apparent ‘new policies’. I doubt Disney will ever enforce something that has not been stipulated on their website because it just doesn’t make sense for that very reason. Mostly, I feel all this unofficial info creates online confusion and disagreements amongst people. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Why are people releasing ‘new policy’ information that DCL has yet to announce themselves? I don’t want to call anyone out but when it comes to new policy I feel like it is in the best interest for the information to come from the official source. If DCL has not put it on the website then it is not policy. Most cruisers never look at these boards or groups and would have no idea about the apparent ‘new policies’. I doubt Disney will ever enforce something that has not been stipulated on their website because it just doesn’t make sense for that very reason. Mostly, I feel all this unofficial info creates online confusion and disagreements amongst people. Just my two cents.
That is why I emailed them and then posted the response from DCL a few pages back.

I encourage everyone here reading this thread to send an email to suggest they communicate this change on the DCL website (whether one is either in favor or disappointed) or mention they will continue to hide ducks onboard until an official statement is posted on the DCL website. I would really like to see a response posted here from someone who disagrees with this or is honest with their intentions to continue hiding ducks. Hiding them around the ship being the key in all of this.

But they charge for Coke.

I know people downplay the free soda benefit on Disney, but when I saw it was going to cost me an extra $377 dollars just so I could drink diet coke on my Celebrity cruise next summer, I was shocked. My wife won't touch soda, but they make you buy it for everyone in your room. If the kids were in the room, it would be double that! Yes, we are getting two verandah rooms for the price of an inside stateroom with Disney for the same itinerary, but it is still something to take into account when comparing cruises.

I know people downplay the free soda benefit on Disney, but when I saw it was going to cost me an extra $377 dollars just so I could drink diet coke on my Celebrity cruise next summer, I was shocked. My wife won't touch soda, but they make you buy it for everyone in your room. If the kids were in the room, it would be double that! Yes, we are getting two verandah rooms for the price of an inside stateroom with Disney for the same itinerary, but it is still something to take into account when comparing cruises.
You can also buy soda a la carte on Celebrity at ~$3 per can so that’s definitely a better option unless (in your case) you anticipate buying more than 125 sodas on the cruise. It takes a lot of cans of soda to make up the Disney price difference.

You can also buy soda a la carte on Celebrity at ~$3 per can so that’s definitely a better option unless (in your case) you anticipate buying more than 125 sodas on the cruise. It takes a lot of cans of soda to make up the Disney price difference.

Great tip! I didn't even think of that. It would be a max of 3 cans a day, usually less. So probably less than $75 that way. I'm glad you posted this before I bought the package. Thanks!

How does it work at dinner? Can they just charge it to your account, or do you have to pull out a cruise card like Disney?

How does it work at dinner? Can they just charge it to your account, or do you have to pull out a cruise card like Disney?
It depends on the server. All they really need to know is your stateroom number, but some like to swipe your cruise card anyway so it isn't uncommon to hand over your stateroom card when you first place your order and then sign the receipt at the very end of the meal.

Great tip! I didn't even think of that. It would be a max of 3 cans a day, usually less. So probably less than $75 that way. I'm glad you posted this before I bought the package. Thanks!

We've never been charged for soft drinks at dinner. Including my favorite Shirley Temple drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter