DCL Port Arrival with Medical Equipment

PurpleKomodo

Mouseketeer
I know that there may not be many DCL people in this forum, but I'm not having much luck in the DCL forum with disability related questions. Has anyone brought medical equipment on board that requires extra checking or exceptions to rules like things that pull power, etc.? Can you provide any insight as to your experience at the Port? We have talked to Special Services several times, but the reality is that they are not at the port, so how has your process been if you have experience with this?

I know CPAP machines have been no problem. If an extension cord may be needed you can borrow one from Guest Services onboard (for a refundable deposit). DCL does reserve the right to inspect equipment that draws power. It's for fire safety because fire is a significant concern onboard a ship. I would think Special Services would help arrange any boarding concerns for medical equipment. On our first cruise was a girl on a MAW trip and just by what was visible on her wheelchair I expect she had considerable medical equipment onboard.

We travel with medical equipment that requires inspection. Not all medical equipment will, for example a CPAP will not.

We have followed Special Services advice, and when we get to security at the port, tell them we have medical equipment that Special Services says we are to take to Guest Services on board the ship to have it inspected; we carry a copy of the email that Special Services sent us explaining what to do and one time we have had to show that note as security wanted to confiscate the equipment and send it for inspection themselves, and there was no way I was letting that happen.

So it goes through security screening like the rest of our carryon luggage and then we take it to guest services (not our first stop, but either before we get our room or shortly after we stop at guest services with it). At guest services I explain what it is and what I was directed to do and that it needs inspection. I have it in its own bag with a luggage tag on it with out name and sateroom number and inside the bag a sheet of paper with our name and stateroom paper and the words MEDICAL EQUIPMENT. I also have a "MEDICAL" tag for the outside of the bag. On the note inside the bag I handwrite "This is medical equipment; please handle with clean hands/gloves and return it to our room as soon as possible. Thank you."

The bag with equipment in it is returned to our room early that evening.

While at guest services we also pick up the extension cord we arranged to borrow. There is a $50 deposit that they will refund when you return it to guest services.

I cruise with DCL alot. I have cpap plus electric wheelchair. My equipment bag is tagged medical equipment. In the bag I have charger for wheelchair, cpap a 220 to 110 outlet converter plus specialized power cord with no surge protector that has 3 usb plus two 110 outlets.

They do look at it but I keep all product documentation with the bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter