DCL with kids vs without

smd8z

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a fantastic first Disney Dream cruise with 10 people (age range 6-50). Our only other cruise was 20+ years ago on Carnival. We are now planning an adult only (girls trip) and are debating Disney, RC and Carnival. I know that many of you on the boards have sailed more than just Disney. I'd love to get some opinions! Here are our details: 4 women (age 42-75), one needs a scooter to get around, Caribbean itinerary (no Bahamas). We would love a ship at least as big as Dream and with food at least as good as Dream. Thank you for any input!

Sounds like you would want the Fantasy if you are planning to do it any time soon and wanted to sail DCL. If you are looking at several years before doing it, you may wait until the new ships join the fleet but that's still 4,5 and 6 years away.

If you are open to other lines, I found the Oasis class ships with RCCL to be on par with DCL and they are similar in size to the Dream. That's just my opinion though.

Sounds like you would want the Fantasy if you are planning to do it any time soon and wanted to sail DCL. If you are looking at several years before doing it, you may wait until the new ships join the fleet but that's still 4,5 and 6 years away.

We looked at the Fantasy's itineraries, and they seem to fit what we want. My question is, is it better to go with RC or Carnival if it's only adults? As much as I love Disney, I'm just not sure that's the way to go. Have you cruised any other cruise lines before?

We looked at the Fantasy's itineraries, and they seem to fit what we want. My question is, is it better to go with RC or Carnival if it's only adults? As much as I love Disney, I'm just not sure that's the way to go. Have you cruised any other cruise lines before?

My wife and I, no kids, have sailed DCL and RCCL. I think RCCL's ships have more options for dining and activities. DCL's shows were better in my opinion but that's not all there is to a cruise.

I have only ever cruised NCL and DCL each once. IMHO, I don't think DCL is worth the markup for an adults only cruise. (Of course, that also depends on the markup for the particular cruise you are looking at)

The first issue to consider is whether everyone in the group loves Disney. The only reason to cruise DCL as adults (and pay the corresponding premium) is to enjoy Disney shows, theming and characters. You can find better service, food, and non-Disney entertainment elsewhere for far less money.

As to the line, I have never sailed Carnival so no comments there. RCCL Oasis (and all of the larger ships) is very good if you are active. My choice, however, would be Princess (Regal or Royal.) They are slightly newer than the Disney ships and about the same size. The food and adult areas are light years ahead of DCL. Service and cleanliness are similar. In my experience, you will pay less than half for a similar DCL itinerary.

We went on Norwegian several years ago. We loved the ship. I want to say it was the Dawn. We liked that it was free style dining. You could eat when and where you wanted. They had the main dining room and then several themed (Mexican, Italian, Steak, ect.) restaurants. I liked this better then DCL. We just got back from a trip in the Fantasy. We liked DCL other then the dining. We just were not always ready to eat at 5:15 every night.

We have also been on Carnival. Again several years ago. It was a bit to much partying for me. A lot of young adults drinking and acting stupid. I don't drink so this was not as fun, though I still liked it.

We just got back from a fantastic first Disney Dream cruise with 10 people (age range 6-50). Our only other cruise was 20+ years ago on Carnival. We are now planning an adult only (girls trip) and are debating Disney, RC and Carnival. I know that many of you on the boards have sailed more than just Disney. I'd love to get some opinions! Here are our details: 4 women (age 42-75), one needs a scooter to get around, Caribbean itinerary (no Bahamas). We would love a ship at least as big as Dream and with food at least as good as Dream. Thank you for any input!

Carnival Vista (or sister ship Horizon). For us, it stole the #1 spot in our heart from the Disney Dream. Food was better (with more choices). Our Carnival cruises have all been in April and October and always been very quiet. The longer the cruise, the more quiet it was.

I loved the NCL Epic. Shows were wonderful. The dining choices/freestyle dining was great. I was not sad standing on the Epic looking at the Disney ship in Nassau wishing I was on it. I missed Disney every time I was on Carnival.

I love sailing Disney and have not gone with kids yet. I am not a fan of Royal Caribbean. I've never sailed on Carnival, but my future in laws love sailing with them and they would be considerably cheaper. Another cruise line to consider is Norwegian.

I am sure there will be many great options for you. To put a bug in your ear, we are sailing MSC next year in the Mediterranean. The ship we will be on has a sister ship in the Caribbean - the MSC Seaside. I haven't sailed MSC yet (others on here have) but we will be in the Yacht Club which is their concierge level and it is significantly cheaper than DCL, in part b/c of really low kids' fares. The perks though look pretty amazing, including a big concierge lounge and restaurant, concierge pool and sundeck, full drink package (I don't drink much, but it includes specialty coffees and gelato around the ship), thermal spa access (like slightly expanded version of Rainforest Room).

I'd guess the biggest difference will be the entertainment. And the price. Your group would need to decide whether the Disney entertainment is not only more appealing than the other lines but significantly better enough to make up for the price difference. Everything else is really a wash.

My first question would be one room or two? Inside or other? You can squeeze four women into an inside stateroom on DCL not on other lines (though I haven't looked at their accessible staterooms). If you are willing to do that the price will be very comparable to other lines.

My first question would be one room or two? Inside or other? You can squeeze four women into an inside stateroom on DCL not on other lines (though I haven't looked at their accessible staterooms). If you are willing to do that the price will be very comparable to other lines.

Are DCL inside rooms big? We've had 4 in an inside on Princess before. Not ideal, but doable.

One room but we are hoping for an oceanview or balcony because one of the women is a bit claustrophobic. She has cruised before in an inside room and refuses to do it again.

Thank you to everyone for your replies! If it were up to me, I'd do Disney only because I love the shows. The other women are leaning away from it because they want a more "adult" cruise. So far we have narrowed things down to Disney Fantasy, Celebrity Equinox, Norwegian Epic and Bliss, Princess Regal and Holland America N Statendam. We ended up with those due to our date restrictions.

I loved the NCL Epic. Shows were wonderful. The dining choices/freestyle dining was great. I was not sad standing on the Epic looking at the Disney ship in Nassau wishing I was on it. I missed Disney every time I was on Carnival.
Epic is one of the ships that we are looking at. Glad to hear you loved it!

Epic is one of the ships that we are looking at. Glad to hear you loved it!
We were booked on the Epic before I changed to MSC, but do check out the reviews of the Epic. Seems it's a bit of a love it or hate it type of ship. In the non-Haven rooms, the biggest complaint is the bathroom layout!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter