DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Feels like hanging out in a cabin with some nice scenery around is a more appropriate way to vacation in a pandemic. Hopefully we'll pull it off. Being an over-planner, doing stuff at the last minute like this makes me freak out a bit.
Hope it works out Mark. I know you were all bummed about having to cancel Alaska. So, I guess Dave likes orange and drinking beer? I think those are pre-requisites for going to Tennessee. :lmao:

I thought we were all going to the Green Sleeves Pub and Eatery.

(I tried to book a table by phone, no prizes for guessing what their hold music was)

((This might be a really really English Centric gag))

I thought about Green Sleeves but O'Reily's is more upscale and they have great music.

Morning from a sunny Westfield NB. Another hot one here today going to be in the 32C range, with warnings of severe thunderstorms. Happy Friday

Woke up to thunder and lightning around 5:30 this morning, lots of flashes and long rumbles.

Morning from a sunny (for now) Orlando. Only getting up to 90 today before the rain is forecasted to come cool things down.

Has the rain ever cooled things down in Orlando? In my experience, it's made it worse.

Hope it works out Mark. I know you were all bummed about having to cancel Alaska. So, I guess Dave likes orange and drinking beer? I think those are pre-requisites for going to Tennessee.

Well, I don't think he has a problem with orange. So he's halfway there!

Delaware has an arrangement with some southern states called the Academic Common Market. It's basically a deal where if our university doesn't offer a certain major, he has the opportunity to study that major at a participating school in one of the other states at Delaware's in-state tuition rate. Tennessee came up on the list when we searched. So, with that big of a discount, we felt like we needed to check it out!

Morning from a sunny (for now) Orlando. Only getting up to 90 today before the rain is forecasted to come cool things down.

Last day of work before vacation next week. Heading to vero beach which is about 90 min away. Went there years ago with the kids and looking forward to sans kids this time. Sad we're going to be missing the other dads, but not like I would have been able to meet them in the park anyway...would have had to be at DTD or a resort.
Enjoy Vero beach Doc hope you have a great week.
Hey guys,

Working on summer vacation plan B. We are starting to look at colleges for my son, and one of the possibilities is the U. of Tennessee. So we're thinking of taking a road trip to wander the campus there and get a feel for it, and then get a cabin near the Smoky Mountains for the week. Feels like hanging out in a cabin with some nice scenery around is a more appropriate way to vacation in a pandemic. Hopefully we'll pull it off. Being an over-planner, doing stuff at the last minute like this makes me freak out a bit.
Plan B sounds nice. I would like to see the Smoky Mountain area in the future.

Delaware has an arrangement with some southern states called the Academic Common Market. It's basically a deal where if our university doesn't offer a certain major, he has the opportunity to study that major at a participating school in one of the other states at Delaware's in-state tuition rate. Tennessee came up on the list when we searched. So, with that big of a discount, we felt like we needed to check it out!
Key And Peele Well Played GIF - KeyAndPeele WellPlayed Detective ...

Hey guys,

Working on summer vacation plan B. We are starting to look at colleges for my son, and one of the possibilities is the U. of Tennessee. So we're thinking of taking a road trip to wander the campus there and get a feel for it, and then get a cabin near the Smoky Mountains for the week. Feels like hanging out in a cabin with some nice scenery around is a more appropriate way to vacation in a pandemic. Hopefully we'll pull it off. Being an over-planner, doing stuff at the last minute like this makes me freak out a bit.

UTK Alum here. Got my MS there before some of you guys were even born. It was actually so long ago the department was split up and no longer exists. :sad2: I got a good education and know all the words to Rocky Top.

Hay Y'all...
Hope everyone is doing well and sliding along on autopilot as we roll into the weekend. Our A/C is finally repaired so all things are just a mite more tolerable down here this morning.

Well...
Ok, most things.

I may not do the cruise next year. It's expensive to have to get 2 rooms for my family.
I can see that.
Could be worse though. It'd be twice that amount again if you attempted to do it on one of Disney's ships.

Fine experiences, yes, but they do be pricey.

Sorry to hear about the AC. Blocks of ice in front of the fan works too.
As Uncle Orville has well proved over the years.

DS got a job and ship date so we are just praying it doesn't get cancelled as has happened to too many recruits.
Good to hear.
May everything stay on schedule.

Read through the last few pages, pretty riveting stuff but that was to be expected.

And, welcome back.

I thought we were all going to the Green Sleeves Pub and Eatery.

(I tried to book a table by phone, no prizes for guessing what their hold music was)

((This might be a really really English Centric gag))
Hummm...
Not dead certain about the tune, but I bet there's a persistent belief that it may have been written by Henry VIII.

Morning from a sunny Westfield NB. Another hot one here today going to be in the 32C range, with warnings of severe thunderstorms. Happy Friday
And a happy Friday to you sir.
Stay cool if you can.
Otherwise, at least stay classy.

Would that be the 2:00 storm or the 4:00 storm.
That later one generally does a better job of it.

Hey guys,

I like it, myself.
Pretty certain you can throw together a backup plan that'll work better than most folks primary plan.

This being 2020, it was probably Godzilla!
Naaaa...
Word is, he woke up this morning, switched on the news to see what's going on and after a minute or two of that basically said, "Sod this, I'm going back to bed".

Delaware has an arrangement with some southern states called the Academic Common Market
It's a good arrangement when it available.
So, what's the choice of major he's considering that ain't available closer to home?

Plan B sounds nice. I would like to see the Smoky Mountain area in the future.

It's a beautiful area. It can get very crowded, though.

UTK Alum here. Got my MS there before some of you guys were even born. It was actually so long ago the department was split up and no longer exists. :sad2: I got a good education and know all the words to Rocky Top.

If the department no longer exists, doesn't that mean your degree should be worth more now?

I can see that.
Could be worse though. It'd be twice that amount again if you attempted to do it on one of Disney's ships.

Fine experiences, yes, but they do be pricey.

I think the Disney experience would be saved for down the road when it's just me and the missus.

I like it, myself.
Pretty certain you can throw together a backup plan that'll work better than most folks primary plan.

Thanks. I'm grinding away at it. I'm sure Goats On The Roof is just as impressive as Denali.

It's a good arrangement when it available.
So, what's the choice of major he's considering that ain't available closer to home?

He was looking at aerospace engineering, which the U of Delaware most decidedly does not offer. However, he also is looking at mechanical engineering, in which case he should probably prepare to be a Fightin' Blue Hen.

Thanks. I'm grinding away at it. I'm sure Goats On The Roof is just as impressive as Denali.
I know the place of which you speak. It's down along US-23 near where our young'en went to school. (unless there are more than one such "attractions", which ain't impossible).

We were debating on scrapping our current Dis-trip and going up to see the boy at some point and spend a few days driving in the mountains. You'll have to let me know what your itinerary ends up looking like. We might just inadvertently be up that way at the same time and be able to meet you somewhere for lunch or something similar.

He was looking at aerospace engineering, which the U of Delaware most decidedly does not offer. However, he also is looking at mechanical engineering, in which case he should probably prepare to be a Fightin' Blue Hen.
Hay, if he pulls down the right scholarship, he could end up being a Battling Banana Slug, so I see no problem with being a Blue Hen. Heck, several of the schools down here use a fowl of one type or another as a mascot.

Is that were they filmed Deliverance?
(scrambles to re-schedule Alaska trip)
That was a bit farther south actually so he shouldn't have to worry too much.

But if you were planning to do any hiking in an area called Woodall Shoals, then you might want to consider rearranging that part of the trip at least.

Have a great weekend guys! Hoping Norm's travels today were uneventful. Oh, and that deliverance talk, no thanks. Mark - if Tennessee, may also want to look at UT Chattanooga. Both of mine picked that over UTK due to programs offered and when you could start their major, the fact that the dorms are apartments nicer than my first 3 or 4 apartments and DD just "refused to wear that ugly a$$ orange". Stay safe all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter