DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Sup fellows! See food and wine and a greedy mouse are on topic....

For food and wine if your their the weekend of the Food and Wine Classic at the Swan & Dolphin is worth every penny.

And just like that, oldest dd now has her driver's license. It is still the intermediate, but regular eligible in January. $40 extra per month insurance with good driving and driver's ed discount.

- Agree with you on non-expiring tickets (that was my way to go before we started getting APs)
d .

Non-expiring ticket was a great idea. Heard that had to do with price at purchase and how to record profit when ticket used years later. Don't know if that is true.

If I could use the FP system to its fullest and not have to spend 1.5 hours on the phone just to get ANY FPs booked, maybe I would find it better.

Or own a smartphone and use their app. Target marketing. Powerful profits in advertising.

I'm not on the DD FB anymore mate

Can anyone see a tipping point? I can't. Disney seems to be a particularly inelastic demand, in that people will still pay. Someone got crucified on FB the other day in one of the DVC groups for daring to suggest that Disney was sub par in quite a few elements, with them basically blaming the guest for Disney's shortcomings, like you shouldn't expect to ride all the rides you want, you should expect queues, it's your own damn fault for booking when you did, blah blah blah. Disney is now priced at a premium level, up there with the Four Seasons, the W's and those kind of brands. Anyone think that they get the level of service you get in a Four Seasons from the Poly or the VGF? So why shouldn't you expect to do all that you wanted? But people still come, myself included. Because it is fundamentally a unique product that they sell, and people want it, for a myriad of reasons, be it Comfort, Nostalgia, or a certain sense of belonging. I saw something on FB the other day that someone had paid $100 on eBay for 4 of the DVC sliders they used to give away for free and that have seemingly no residual value. So she can put them on her wrist band and feel a greater sense of belonging to a corporation? You've got to hand it to them, if they are pulling that level of brand identity off, they must think they can basically get away with murder.

Sorry, I didn't realize you weren't on FB there. Something happen?

I don't see a tipping point, or not anytime soon. Two options in business - Disney premium model vs. McDonald's/ Walmart cheap model. Disney now entertains the world. There are 300 million people in USA alone. Each one only has to visit once a year. Disney has hit their tipping point for my budget, but I'll still go once a year or so, just not visiting as many theme parks. Once my dds are in college and I'm just paying for two, we will increase visits. If grandchildren arrive one day, then we will adjust again. You just can't replace that Disney magic, they know it, and know people are willing to pay a premium for it.

I understand costs going up but costs are going up everywhere, anyone been to a MLB game lately? Took in two games at Wrigley, paid face value for tickets and cost me $380 for two of us for 2 games / 6 hours total of entertainment. Food and beer prices are the same if not actually higher than comparable quick serve at WDW. I guess for us, I see more value for the buck spending at WDW but again being DVC, doing APs and leveraging discounts and other things likely is a big plus than say the family that can only go once a year or every other year. Good discussion.

Yes. And, I go to one MLB game a year, if that often. Again, premium product.

I think someone needs to go back to work.....cost analysis...inelastic demand....brand identity.....all in one Disboard post. Impressive!

;)

:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

I was reading that it is 2 hours. So you could book one restaurant for 630 and one for 830. So in the world of an 8:00 reservation, you've knocked 2 out, as the system recognises them as dinner and won't offer up as one won't be finished and the other one is breathing down your neck. I see it all the time one of the "foodie" Disney FB groups, when they start a post "Which one of these should I give up, Yak n Yeti or California Grill?"

I think there is a difference booking ADRs with your account vs spouse's account vs fake account vs linking reservations.

It's a really good point Mike. I think the closest analogy I can think of for Disney and the loyalty it engenders is a sports team. It's the only other business where the product can be almost universally recognised as deteriorating, yet it's business doesn't suffer. Look at my team. Haven't won anything in 30-odd years. There were protests and tear ups at almost every home game last season. Guess who sold out on 53,000 season tickets a month before the season starts?

Can't compare sports teams though. It is all about the TV contracts. It's not like Disney owns a television network. :scared1:

The shark week episode aired last night. They didn't get much airtime because they were highlighting 4 organizations but she did get some face time. They also did a promo on Good Morning America and she got more airtime there. Someone captured a couple of screen shots of the GMA segment.

She is on the left of the shark tank person holding the tail of a Nurse. The Nurse was a bit spunky.

Shark Tank lady is releasing the fishing line. A is on her left giving instruction/supervision.

Unfortunately they didn't win the $50,000 but did get a lot of exposure.

That is terrific. Another disdad first. She is living her dream. I can't imagine a way to be a prouder dad. Way to go CJ.

Just to be clear, normal service will resume tomorrow where I make smutty innuendos about Disney Princesses' Boobies and Ladyparts.

How did you get the boards to not star out boobies? Boobies? Two of my favorite things. :lmao: :goodvibes:goodvibes

Thank you sir, let me know any details on the bourbon tasting - didn't see anything on that. But for a good bourbon tast, Abracadabar has the Knob Creek Disney Select - was real good.

Let me know if/when you want to drive up and do a bourbon tasting/ tour. I'll round up some others and make a disdad day of it. Scott did an Ambassador program with Maker's Mark and had DisDads printed on the label. In 5+ more years, we can go and buy as many bottles as we want. Maker's Mark isn't my favorite, but I'm definitely in for that trip.

Happy Friday Guys. Lets see what drama the upcoming move shows up today.

Sup fellows! See food and wine and a greedy mouse are on topic....

For food and wine if your their the weekend of the Food and Wine Classic at the Swan & Dolphin is worth every penny.

Always wanted to that but it never worked out. Really want to try the shrimp cocktail poppers they have.

I need to come here more...I just hate the way this works on the phone

Aren't you suppose to be the tech guy?

And just like that, oldest dd now has her driver's license.

Good luck.

Livin' the dream.

Wait.... no not quite. Livin' and dreamin'. No, wait... dreamin', occasional nightmares, the odd nap here and there. Gee, that sounds depressing...

Why do you have to ask the complicated questions?????

Ain't that the truth.

I need to come here more...
Yes, yes you do.

I just hate the way this works on the phone
I still get over here via P/Cs. Truth is I'm too blind to read on screens that small and hate typing on a cell phone. I must be about the only guy left in the US that doesn't have any apps loaded on my phone.

And just like that, oldest dd now has her driver's license.
Welcome to a whole new world of worrying.
May the first fender-bender be minor
(best to get it out of their system early on)

Non-expiring ticket was a great idea. Heard that had to do with price at purchase and how to record profit when ticket used years later. Don't know if that is true.
I miss those mightily.
They were a good method of spreading the trip costs across several years.
Whatever the specific reasoning was, it all just comes down to maximizing profits.

I don't see a tipping point, or not anytime soon.
Me neither.
So long as there are new customers lining up for the experience, they’re really not concerned about angering or even loosing older, repeat clients. If the rooms and parks stay full, prices will continue to climb and loyalty is irrelevant.

Livin' the dream.

Wait.... no not quite. Livin' and dreamin'. No, wait... dreamin', occasional nightmares, the odd nap here and there. Gee, that sounds depressing...

Why do you have to ask the complicated questions?????
I basically have a similar conversation with all of myselves pretty much every morning.

Lets see what drama the upcoming move shows up today.
Move?
So, what’s moving?

Top O the Mornin Dads! It's Friday so where the heck is Dan to call this thing already? Save travels and good luck to DS this weekend Darcy, thanks for the F&W insights CJ and good conversation on the state of being a DisDad with the current state of WDW vacationing and visiting.
"A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." -- Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh)
And just like that, oldest dd now has her driver's license. It is still the intermediate, but regular eligible in January. $40 extra per month insurance with good driving and driver's ed discount.
Best of luck and don;t worry too much. Plus, there are some benefits to them driving.
That is terrific. Another disdad first. She is living her dream. I can't imagine a way to be a prouder dad. Way to go CJ.
Really nice statement there Norm, and I second the sentiment CJ
Let me know if/when you want to drive up and do a bourbon tasting/ tour. I'll round up some others and make a disdad day of it. Scott did an Ambassador program with Maker's Mark and had DisDads printed on the label. In 5+ more years, we can go and buy as many bottles as we want. Maker's Mark isn't my favorite, but I'm definitely in for that trip.
SOunds like a plan. I am an Ambassador too so when my barrel comes through you're definitely in.
Been outta the loop for a bit.
Prayers, thoughts, pixie dust, congrats where needed.

How's everyone been?
Not bad here, how have you been and what have you been up to?
Talking about DD move? If so, thats got to be a logistics challenge - she taking the mutt or are you keeping it?

Really nice statement there Norm, and I second the sentiment CJ

Thanks again gentlemen.

SOunds like a plan. I am an Ambassador too so when my barrel comes through you're definitely in.

I almost bought one a few years ago. So I'm in when they are ready.

Move?
So, what’s moving?

Talking about DD move? If so, thats got to be a logistics challenge - she taking the mutt or are you keeping it?

Yea, it is DD's move to Hawaii. She is supposed to fly out from San Diego on September 8th. Yes, she is taking the mutt I didn't want with her and part of the issue is all the paperwork needed by animal control in Hawaii. She is also having her car shipped. That and a thousand other things to do.

It's Friday so where the heck is Dan to call this thing already?

Right. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. Last one standing in the Bourbon Flight Cart in EPCOT takes the Blue Fairy home. And let me tell ya, it ain't just Pinocchio's nose she has that effect on.

Have a great weekend chaps.

Yea, it is DD's move to Hawaii. She is supposed to fly out from San Diego on September 8th. Yes, she is taking the mutt I didn't want with her and part of the issue is all the paperwork needed by animal control in Hawaii. She is also having her car shipped. That and a thousand other things to do.
Best of luck to you both with all of that. Must be both and exciting and challenging time for you two. Have a good weekend and if you change your mind about coming up to F&W Sept 15-18 we will be there and so will Zerfs.
Right. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. Last one standing in the Bourbon Flight Cart in EPCOT takes the Blue Fairy home. And let me tell ya, it ain't just Pinocchio's nose she has that effect on.

Have a great weekend chaps.
Thank you sir, have a great weekend yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for calling it Dan...T-60 minutes to go for me...5:00 can't come soon enough...

If I could use the FP system to its fullest and not have to spend 1.5 hours on the phone just to get ANY FPs booked, maybe I would find it better.
Just throwing this out there - when I did my FP booking last month, I did all 8 days in less than an hour and got everything I wanted with no IT glitches.
I don't know if the fact I'm staying on site and could book at 60+ days helped...maybe. I suppose that could be Mickey's evil plan to sway more people into staying in the Disney bubble.

You've got valid points on all you've said. I'm kind of in between "real-PO'd" and "everything is pixie dust". I guess that shows in the fact that I haven't been to WDW in four years. But I'm happy to be going back next month.

Stood on my injured foot today whilst dressing and it felt pretty good, so again, progress.
Awesome! So the August trip is back on, right? See you at Trader Sam's for a Krakatoa Punch! I'm buying!
I'm kidding of course. Glad to hear you are doing a little better.

When checking on our MNSSHP tix in the MDE they show I can "reassign" them so different than our APs that reflect non-transferable. Check yours our, you may need to add the other family to your Freinds and Family list to reassign. Also good to hear your foot is making improvement. Also, why are you not on DD FB? If you do not want to get into it, understood.
Dan, I checked my MNSSHP tickets too and it says they can be re-assigned. But looks like it has to be to someone on your Friends and Family List. Hopefully you can sort that out.

Unfortunately they didn't win the $50,000 but did get a lot of exposure.
Like I mentioned on FB, I have the Discovery show DVRd, just have to find time over the weekend to watch. Good to hear she gets a little face time.

Welcome to the club. Be prepared for more gray hairs. How's the car situation? Expecting any tension over who gets to use the car certain times? That hasn't gone too badly for me, but definitely a bit of stress at times.

How's everyone been?
Working...

Good to see you back.

My DD has been fender bender free for the last 18 months. Kind of hoping it stays that way. But I do see your point about getting it out of their system. It was about 18 months into it when I had my first fender bender. Thankfully nothing serious since.

Remember when she would go to a party and all her little friends would eat cake and play tag and...
You could actually relax when she was at a party?

:rolleyes1

I don't see a tipping point, or not anytime soon. Two options in business - Disney premium model vs. McDonald's/ Walmart cheap model. Disney now entertains the world. There are 300 million people in USA alone. Each one only has to visit once a year. Disney has hit their tipping point for my budget, but I'll still go once a year or so, just not visiting as many theme parks. Once my dds are in college and I'm just paying for two, we will increase visits. If grandchildren arrive one day, then we will adjust again. You just can't replace that Disney magic, they know it, and know people are willing to pay a premium for it.

Agreed. While I (like everyone else) wish the prices wouldn't continue to skyrocket, I keep going because I want to... and so far, the cost is worth it.
Might come a time when it's not... but that time isn't yet.

I too was wondering where you were moving to, until I saw your post.
I can imagine paperwork for the dog is... a bit of a headache.
Is it not maybe cheaper to sell the car and buy another out there rather than ship it?

No clue, of course.

I basically have a similar conversation with all of myselves pretty much every morning.

Tell yourselves to shut the hell up and get your ass outta bed!

Not bad here, how have you been and what have you been up to?

Well, I decided to go for a nice quiet drive... Here. <click me!>

Working...

Good to see you back.

Thanks! :)

Yeah Friday!!! Glad this week is in the books.

Good luck to both of you.

(best to get it out of their system early on

?

No worry here at all. I taught her to drive like me. She had a good driver's education teacher and had a lot of practice hours. She's driving my old Tumbler (Aztec), so unless she hits a train, she will be fine.

?

I'm in. Let me know when you're ready.

I thought you would cave on the dog. Way to go.

That's still a good thing, right? :lmao:

Welcome to the club. Be prepared for more gray hairs. How's the car situation? Expecting any tension over who gets to use the car certain times? That hasn't gone too badly for me, but definitely a bit of stress at times.

I have a third vehicle. My truck/SUV Pontiac Aztec with 180,000 miles and barely anything that works. 10 MPG maybe. A great first vehicle. It's a tank.

Remember when she would go to a party and all her little friends would eat cake and play tag and...
You could actually relax when she was at a party?
! :)

That was relaxing? 20 kids sugared up in a confined, loud room? DW buying gift bags for other kids? Not for me. I'd rather her drive laps at a NASCAR track than return to a young birthday party.

That was relaxing? 20 kids sugared up in a confined, loud room? DW buying gift bags for other kids? Not for me. I'd rather her drive laps at a NASCAR track than return to a young birthday party.

No. Not your own! Someone else's party! Your own's...….. suck.

Morning cousins, from the mother country.
Apple wood smoked ribs last night, with a homemade slaw. Mighty good eatin'. Lamb and Chicken Souvlaki today over the charcoals.
Another wedge out of my boot, so basically walking flat. See you in Trader Sam's, Jeff. (Not really)

How did you get the boards to not star out boobies?
International man of mystery privileges.
Good luck. I rode my my Mum's car up a driveway wall :eek:. Our driveway. :eek::eek:. I'm sure she'll be fine.
That's still a good thing, right? :lmao:
Well, it certainly brings a new meaning to the phrase "got wood".......
Been outta the loop for a bit.
Welcome back sunshine. Did you go on vacation or am I mis-remembering?
I don't know if the fact I'm staying on site and could book at 60+ days helped...maybe. I suppose that could be Mickey's evil plan to sway more people into staying in the Disney bubble.
Nope, I couldn't get FOP for ANY of my days, so that was effectively at +74 days, and I was on site in a similar time frame to you. Their IT sucks. Pure and simple.
Is it not maybe cheaper to sell the car and buy another out there rather than ship it
Does this statement applies to the dog as well? (Not a dog person)
No. Not your own! Someone else's party! Your own's...….. suck
::yes::

Have a great day fellas, and may your conscience always be your guide.

London out.

And to start the day, the coffee maker we received as a wedding gift just finally blew up. And, my blow up, I mean expelled hot water out the top as opposed to into the coffee pot. Well, at least there is thr press pot.

No. Not your own! Someone else's party! Your own's...….. suck.

That may be a bit better. I didn't care much for those either. Still too much craziness in one place.

International man of mystery privileges.

Good luck. I rode my my Mum's car up a driveway wall :eek:. Our driveway. :eek::eek:. I'm sure she'll be fine.

Well, it let me post the word boobies too, so thanks for transferring her majesty's license to kill er um, license to post over to me. I guess boobies is no longer considered a bad word?

I've been in a few accidents over the years, one that was ruled my fault by the police which I still disagree with. Life happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter